Statue Weta Workshop's Bilbo Baggins Barrel Rider from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty adorable.

The Weta page says this is the first in a whole line of "Barrel Rider" pieces. Presumably they're going to do all the Dwarves then. As a one-off it's pretty great. But I don't think I'd collect the whole line.

But for folks who can't or don't want to throw down a ton of money for the the 1/6 statues, I suppose this is a pretty reasonably priced option.

This one looks nice but it's really small too.

2.7" x 4.1" x 4.1" (H x W x D)
6.8 cm x 10.5 cm x 10.5 cm

I know it's in the mini-statue line. The Gollum mini-statue is a tad bigger than this and I thought that mini-statue was small.

Must have found a bucket of clear paint from the Newborn Uruk statue they did 10 years ago. Easiest pass in awhile. And they are doing a whole series of these?? Wow.

Nice little filler pieces that can be cascaded down through a display cabinet if they all get made. Hope they don't give any serious 'war faces ' though :lecture

Oh I won't be. This thing is all sorts of wrong but if you have 65 dollars to spend have at it. This is a real head scratcher though and I think represents just how little product there is out there to satisfy collector appetites. Because, this released in any other line would be a total joke. Imagine SS releasing some equivalent of this for SW or a Marvel license. Honestly, I think people's expectations are too low but that's just me.

Last edited:
Oh I won't be. This thing is all sorts of wrong but if you have 65 dollars to spend have at it. This is a real head scratcher though and I think represents just how little product there is out there to satisfy collector appetites. Because, this released in any other line would be a total joke. Imagine SS releasing some equivalent of this for SW or a Marvel license. Honestly, I think people's expectations are too low but that's just me.

Alrighty then. :lol

Believe me, in SW and Marvel, anything sells.

This wouldn't. Well who knows. Look its a cheap "collectible" but its still 65 dollars and the execution of the paint and face aren't the best. Let alone the actual design. I just can't get what they are thinking here. If they had done a dwarf first with more presence to it, maybe a barrel sticking more out of the water then maybe this could fly. But this is some weird, drowned, discombobulated pose of a pathetic looking Bilbo. And the overall design reminds me of something you'd find at a yard sale. I get tweaked about this because I wish they would stop wasting their time on this stuff that no one really wants. I mean people here may buy it, sure. But who wanted this? How about some environments? How about some non human statues? Hopefully SDCC will have something decent.

Thing is Bilbo was about half drowned and pathetic looking in that moment. Well, that's the mental image I have based on what Tolkien wrote. You can't say nobody wants it when people are buying it. You may not but there is a difference. Just because nobody was out and out asking doesn't mean people won't be excited to see it. It looks like according to what I saw on S&F you're going to get plenty. Just don't blow a gasket when it's things you don't like or question others expectations.

Last edited:
Yeah I am perfectly content with this and the life size Gandalf statue that I can't imagine who would actually put in their house. All I want is another bronze.

0 for 2 on Bilbo poses Weta.

Gasket now restored, back to my regular programming

Last edited:
Every piece isn't going to be someones cup of tea. I have no interest in the 1:1 Gandalf Statue. I'm sure someone will do another bronze for ya.

I'd say 2/2 on Bilbo.

Good :)

Back