Star Wars Comic Books

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mithrandier

Super Freak
Reaction score
This thread is for those of you Star Wars fans out there that wish for a new medium of Star Wars, that have not heard or read the comic books as of yet. Dark Horse puts out different title for you Star Wars fans.............

12894.jpg

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #8
Writer: John Jackson Miller
Artist: Dustin Weaver
Cover Artist: Brian Ching
Colorist: Michael Atiyeh
Genre: Star Wars, Science-Fiction, Action/Adventure

Features: Preview, 40 Desktops, 9 Qtvrs, See all 49 Downloads

The Mandalorians have captured one of fugitive Padawan Zayne Carrick's faithful companions, which means one thing - a rescue mission deep behind enemy lines! Above the mining world of Vanquo, Republic and Mandalorian starfighters battle, while down on the surface, the motley crew of the Last Resort become stowaways on their own ship, piloted by an unknown thief. Even if they regain control of the ship in time to pursue their friend's abductors, how will they ever make it past the Republic and Mandalorian armadas, both of which want them dead! Forget about the Force, what these four need is some cold, hard luck!

• Continuing the ongoing monthly series set four thousand years before the rise of the Empire and the fall of Anakin Skywalker (and eight years prior to the events in the Knights of the Old Republic video game).

• A great starting point for anyone interested in following the Star Wars saga beyond the films.

Publication Date: Sep 20, 2006
Format: Full color, 32 pages
Price: $2.99
Age range: 12+

KOTR has been really good so far.

It's been a long while since a Star Wars comic has really thrilled me like this one has. Since it's set in the "past", it has that feel of a universe to be discovered, just like the old Marvel comics had at the time before ESB.

Not wanting to give anything away, but the basic concept, a Padawan on the run from evil Jedi, was inspired.

Sometimes books centering on a Jedi have a hard time constructing worthy challenges. Here, the hero is clearly over-matched, contributing to the ANH feel of the story.

I'm still undecided on Star Wars: Legacy, giving it a few more issues. I love the look and concept of Imperial Knights, but they haven't been featured enough yet.

STAR WARS: BOBA FETT—MAN WITH A MISSION

THOMAS ANDREWS (W), RON MARZ (W), JOHN OSTRANDER (W), JOHN WAGNER (W), CAM KENNEDY (A), ADRIANA MELO (A), FRANCISCO RUIZ VELASCO (A), and TSUNEO SANDA (A)

On sale March 14, FC, 104pg, 7" x 10", $12.95

The greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy faces four of his most dangerous missions in this volume of hard-to-find Boba Fett adventures!

Whether it’s taking on an Imperial ship designed to wipe out entire alien species or battling amidst a vicious civil war fueled by both the Rebellion and the Empire, entering an abandoned Star Destroyer seeking a mysterious prize or settling a dispute between an Imperial outpost and the local leadership, there’s no job too deadly for the man in the Mandalorian armor—if the price is right!

Contains 104 pages of never-before-collected Boba Fett stories!

STAR WARS: DARK TIMES #4—THE PATH TO NOWHERE part 4 (of 5)
WELLES HARTLEY (W), MICK HARRISON (W), DOUGLAS WHEATLEY (A), and RONDA PATTISON (C)

On sale January 31, FC, 32pg, $2.99

How many bad deeds can be justified by one good deed? In order to help his friend Bomo Greenbark, Jedi Dass Jennir has been forced into a series of questionable actions—and none is more potentially destructive than the one he now contemplates.

Or is this the true genius of Palpatine’s evil? The Jedi, their status destroyed and their order broken, must now become outlaws and lawbreakers in order to do what was once considered their duty.

The dark times have barely begun, and already Dass Jennir is so engulfed in darkness, he wonders if he will ever find his way back!

STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC #13

JOHN JACKSON MILLER (W), DUSTIN WEAVER (P), MICHAEL ATIYEH (C), and BRIAN CHING (Cover)

On sale January 31, FC, 32pg, $2.99

A perfect jumping-on point for new readers, the wildest space adventure in the Old Republic begins a new story arc featuring stolen starships, killer droids, and the debut of a dangerous villain!

When fugitive Padawan Zayne Carrick and his small-time con artist cohort Gryph part ways with their friends on the Last Resort, the odd couple sets out to score a new ship. Soon enough, the two find that helping themselves to something they can’t afford carries a much higher price than they bargained for! Meanwhile, a sinister power from across the galaxy begins hunting the Last Resort, determined to stop at nothing until the ship’s owners are within his grasp!

STAR WARS: LEGACY #8

JOHN OSTRANDER (W), ADAM DEKRAKER (A), and BRAD ANDERSON (C)

On sale January 10, FC, 32pg, $2.99

The first issue of Legacy revealed the facts of the attack on the Jedi Academy on Ossus and of the betrayal of Emperor Roan Fel by Darth Krayt and the Sith. Now it is time to learn of the machinations and of the secret alliances behind those actions.

Grand Moff Nyna Calixte supervises intelligence gathering for the Empire. Darth Maladi does the same for the Sith. Together they could form an unbeatable team, able to sway the course of a galaxy. That is, if they don’t destroy one another first!

From the ambush of the Galactic Alliance’s fleet to Roan Fel’s narrow escape from assassination, the true story of the Sith overthrow of the Empire can at last be told!

This is the future of Star Wars, the continuation of the story that started in the original trilogy, and none of it has been seen before.
Supergirl artist Adam DeKraker makes his Star Wars debut!

Various covers

Star Wars: Legacy #4
13456.jpg

Star Wars: Omnibus - X-Wing Rogue Squadron Vol. 2 TPB
13911.jpg

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #9
12895.jpg

I say read any of the Tag & Bink stuff, really funny. I think a trade is suppossed to come out soon. For those who don't know, Tag & Bink are 2 minor characters who happen to bumble into every major battle or event in the OT (even a lil in the PT) and inadvertantly save the day. Very clever.

the Tag & Bink books were definitely funny and a good read. I'm liking the new KOTOR series, but like others have said, Legacy has been disappointing. Perhaps I have to re-read it in order.

I'm reading the Star Wars: Legacy comic series. It's a pretty good series so far. Should get more interesting later on. But what is MUCH better if the Star Wars: Legacy of the Force novel series. That series is amazing, and I recommend it to anybody.

I grew up with the Marvel Star Wars comics, and they became even more important than the films to me (mainly because they came out more often). Sure, some of the stories were whacky, and there were continuity glitches (humanoid Jabba, anyone?) but hey, it was a Star Wars fix.

But my fave comic book story arc of all time is Dark Empire.

Is 'Empire' any good? Ive never read it but ive been thinking of buying either some back issues off ebay or a couple of the trade paperback versions lately.
id be curious to know what you guys think to it. The KOTOR book sounds like it might be a decent read. Im quite into the Video games and quite like that 'way back in the past' setting. So thats another book i might be interested in. Ive not really read many star wars comic books since the days of the marvel series way back when i was a kid. (Although i did read dark empire, but i was kind of dissapointed)

I just recently picked up the star wars comics companion book and found that quite interesting, so its kind of made me curious to read some SW comics

BTW, Are those 'classic star wars- a long time ago..' collected edidtions in colour? or are they B+W like the marvel 'essentials' books?

The compilations of the monthly comic books (with the comic art on the covers) have been lovingly recolored on glossy paper, so they're even better than the original comics! The compilations of the newspaper strips (the ones with the Ralph McQuarrie covers) are black and white.

And IMHO Dark Empire is the quintessential Star Wars comic. Not only does it boast Cam Kennedy's stylistic art, but it has Luke turning to the dark side, the return of both the Emperor and Boba Fett, Jedi and Sith holocrons, and cloning! What more could you want?

There are also Dark Empire II and Empire's End to follow up.

March 2007 Dark Horse Solicitations:

SWLEG-10-FC-FNL.jpg

STAR WARS: LEGACY #10
JOHN OSTRANDER (W), COLIN WILSON (A), BRAD ANDERSON (C), and DAVE ROSS (Cover)
On sale March 14
FC, 32 pages
$2.99
Ongoing
Once bitter enemies, Imperials loyal to the deposed Emperor Roan Fel meet with representatives from the remnants of the Galactice Alliance to discuss joining forces against the Sith. However, two spies have been thrown into the mix, each with different orders, their determination to complete their missions putting them on an explosive collision course.

Meanwhile, Cade Skywalker remains missing, yet still pursued by those bent on ignoring his desire to be left alone.

Will a new alliance be forged to defeat Darth Krayt's minions, or will betrayal shatter the galaxy's last best hope for freedom? Will Skywalker's refuge be discovered? More importantly, what will happen to those who find him? Find out in this pivotal issue of Star Wars Legacy !
• This is the future of Star Wars , the continuation of the story that started in the original trilogy, and none of it has been seen before.

STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC #15
JOHN JACKSON MILLER (W), BRIAN CHING (A/Cover), and MICHAEL ATIYEH (C)
On sale March 28
FC, 32 pages
$2.99
Ongoing
The “Days of Fear” story arc reaches its explosive conclusion in a story of dangerous visions, unheeded warnings, and decisions made too late!
Fugitive Padawan Zayne Carrick faces his darkest moments so far as a desperate attempt to avert a cataclysmic disaster drives him into the arms of his enemies. Zayne puts his life on the line in an attempt to save those who don't even realize the grave fate they face, but will his sacrifice be in vain? Meanwhile, the small-time con Gryph has happened upon big-time profit, but if he doesn't keep his greed in check, this seeming success story could quickly turn tragic!
• Unforgettable characters, thrill-a-minute plot twists, and fast-paced action nearly 4,000 years before the Death Star in the hottest Star Wars story this side of the movies!

SWKTOR-15-FC-FNL.jpg

Mithrandier said:
Star Wars: Dark Times #1--The Path to Nowhere
10965.jpg

Does anyone know about the alternate cover (looks like the original pencils and inks without coloring) for this one that was only sold at a hand full of comic shops around the country? The local comic shop in Austin (Round Rock) was selected as one of the retailers and they still have it available (for $10) if anyone needs one, but it is limited to 2 copies per customer, so I don't know how many I would ultimately be able to acquire.

By the way, is it worth more than $10 in the comic market?

March 2007 continued:

STAR WARS: 30TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION VOLUME 3—DARTH MAUL
RON MARZ (W), JAN DUURSEMA (A), RICK MAGYAR (I), and DAVE MCCAIG (C)
On sale May 16
FC, 96 pages
$22.95
TPB, 7 " x 10 "
In the days before Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi's first fateful mission to Naboo, Darth Sidious discovers a threat to his plan for galactic domination—the nefarious criminal organization Black Sun. Unwilling to tolerate such opposition to his Imperial ambitions, the Sith lord sends his apprentice Darth Maul to deal with this cartel of space mobsters.

Step by deadly step Maul infiltrates Black Sun, eliminating its lieutenants and working his way into its inner sanctum. Yet those who rule this society of evil do not intend to be vanquished so easily. It's all-out action as the darkest forces in the galaxy vie for power in a battle that will have dire consequences for the future of the Republic.

Each month, the Star Wars 30th Anniversary Collection series will bring readers a limited-edition hardcover of the best of Dark Horse's Star Wars graphic novels. Available only through Direct Market retail outlets, each volume's print run is limited to initial orders and will not be reprinted.
SW30V3-FC-FNL.jpg

STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC—FLASHPOINT VOLUME 2 JOHN JACKSON MILLER (W), BRIAN CHING (A/COVER), DUSTIN WEAVER (A), HARVEY TOLIBAO (A), MICHAEL ATIYEH (C), and JAY DAVID RAMOS (C)
On sale May 16
FC, 144 pages
$18.95
TPB, 7 " x 10 "
Nearly 4,000 years before the Death Star, fugitive Padawan Zayne Carrick's quest to clear his name for the alleged murder of his fellow Jedi-in-training brings him head to head with the galaxy's most feared fighting force—the Mandalorians!
Along with a petty crook named Gryph and Elbee the grouchy droid, Zayne is a passenger aboard the Last Resort , a renegade ship piloted by the senile genius Camper and his fierce protector Jarael. Together, this motley crew will face kidnappings, hijackings, maniacal scientists, Mandalorian traitors, bumbling bounty-hunting brothers, and a few really big explosions.
Collecting issues #7-12 of the ongoing comic book series Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic , this volume launches our lovable heroes into one of the most outrageous and exciting adventures since Luke Skywalker learned the ways of the Force!

SWKTORV2-CVR-SOL.jpg

STAR WARS: PANEL TO PANEL VOLUME 2— EXPANDING THE UNIVERSE
RANDY STRADLEY (W) and VARIOUS (A)
On sale May 30
FC, 192 pages
$19.95
HC, 10 " x 12 "
From 5,000 years before Luke Skywalker first picked up a lightsaber to nearly 150 years after the events in Return of the Jedi , Dark Horse Comics has chronicled the major events in every era of the Star Wars galaxy in amazing drawings and paintings by some of the most accomplished artists in our own galaxy.
In this all-new companion to the first Star Wars Panel to Panel volume, we've spotlighted not only the stunning work of comics' greatest artists, but also the legion of characters Dark Horse has contributed to Star Wars ' Expanded Universe—characters who have not only carried the romance and adventure of the galaxy far, far away far beyond the events in the films, but those who have made the jump from the pages of comic books to television and the silver screen!
Every Star Wars fan will cherish this look back, forward, and beyond!

SWPTP2-FC-SOL.jpg

Boba Fett said:
I'm not caring too much for the Star Wars: Legacy series right now.

Really? I find them quite interesting...seem to tie into the Legacy of the Force Novels, which I'm still not sure is good or not. Might give too much information away about about the novels....

Back