Customs costs and problems for Foreign Collectors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambit

Super Freak
Reaction score
After reading Goliath's post in Where is Aragorn post, I decided to write a new post on this subject as it interests lots of collectors

Biggest difficulty in being a foreign collector is the high shipping and customs taxes. Instead of buying 2 in US, we can only buy 1 in Turkey due to shipment and customs.

But actually currently we have a worse problem in Turkey that the governmental customs procedure requires so many documents to fill and it is very big time consuming. They ask you to go to lots of different departments in different locations :emperor

last week one friend of mine can not take his sauron statue from the customs,
it cost him 300 $ for statue from SS
plus 214 $ FEDEX

and customs people requests him to pay like 500 $ more to get it and so he simly refrain getting the statue. Sauron is in warehouse of customs now and will be sold by customs for a more cheaper price to someone else, after some time passed.

My friend paid 514 $ and got nothing in return. Plus he spent like 1 day to talk with the guys and I presume you can picture how angry he got.

My wolverine exclusive is currently on its way to my adress and if I will have a similar problem and will lost my $'s, I do not think I can collect high end items as long as our problems solved. A few of my friends already cancelled some expensive items.

What are your experiences on this?

That really sucks, can't think of huge amount of dialogue that will describe it but that. Honestly, I didn't really know that non-us freaks were paying that much just for a single figure. To help lower the cost, would it be a sideshow doing or just a government tariff doing?

congerking said:
To help lower the cost, would it be a sideshow doing or just a government tariff doing?

In this case, it seems that the Government is trying to kill-kill-kill their poor inhabitants with taxes... I had a hell with the customs this winter - trying to get my PF Vader from them. The taxes they had calculated was just crazy (and probably wrong). I choose to send the figure back, and Sideshow refunded me about 1/3 of what I paid for it
Hurray... :eek:

But it would help us some, if Sideshow would let us choose between different kinds of shipping...
:cool:

Let me start of with an example:
Hot Toys 12" Robocop, SSC price $129. I payed $185 to get it. I ordered it from SSC. Would you pay $185 for this Robocop if you would see it in one of your local stores? Not a good example! Wait, here's a better one: an SSC 12" figure (+- $50) costs me about $100, shipping and taxes included...

Heh. Nice thread. I'm always all over this VAT and Shipping issue, much to Chicky's dislike I might add :D.

Why? Cause it's like Gambit says: we have to pay twice the price at times!

I just wrote some reflections on this:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=236550&postcount=8

After reading Goliath's post, and knowing what Gambit has to deal with, I may consider myself lucky to only pay the shipping and VAT I do! Yet, I also consider these extra costs a true burden. I think the essence is that the smaller the object, the more we have to pay for it, relatively speaking. Mainly due to the high shipping costs. So, if there's a solution to be found, I think the first place is to look for it is there. What's also funny, is that I actually have to pay taxes on the shipping as well. In the European union? I thought they obstructed import tax within the European Union years ago!? Shipping is a service, not a merchandise. I remember someone from the UK (home base of the EU warehouse) posting that they don't pay VAT on shipping.
I think that at the time SSC did the EU inquiry, they said they where going to be looking into these issues. I still hope they do!

Here's another thing that slightly concerns me. Slightly, because we haven't had an official statement from SSC yet: the recent price hike of the 12" SW figures. Should SSC have decided to elevate the price of all 12" figures by $5, this would mean that we'd have to pay about $1 extra VAT, making that a plus of $6 per figure in the end. At least.

And now, let the comments like "if you don't like it, don't buy it!" start. I love their logic at times! Problem is, we DO like the merchandise, but most of the time, we don't have an other choice but to go with this.

Oh, and let me take the opportunity to thank all SS Freaks that expressed their sympathy for the EU collectors in this matter.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
an SSC 12" figure (+- $50) costs me about $100, shipping and taxes included...

Wow, how did you manage to only pay 50 for shipping and taxes included? Even though it ships from EU warehouse, I have to pay more than $50 for shipping alone...

Paid more than 150 for my 12" Dead, direct from Sideshow :rolleyes:

pordey2 said:
Wow, how did you manage to only pay 50 for shipping and taxes included? Even though it ships from EU warehouse, I have to pay more than $50 for shipping alone...

Paid more than 150 for my 12" Dead, direct from Sideshow :rolleyes:
Like I said: compared to Gambit and Goliath's situation, I may consider myself lucky. Looks like I can add you to that list as well!

For my Subject 5 Security Guard I payed:

$ 49.99 for the 12"
$ 28.48 freight
$ 13.73 VAT

For a total of $ 92.20 direct from Sideshow. That's less than the $ 150 you payed for yours! But I also had the SDCC 12" Freddy on order and that one arrived the very same day, yet hitting me with an other $ 29 for shipping, and 13.83 VAT...
Looks like Norway is just a little bit more expensive! Hate to pay for a beer there...!

I got to admit: I'd never ordered the security guard figure if I'd to pay $150! I'm pretty much at the border regarding the price I'd pay for the SSC 12" figures, vat and shipping included. I hope they don't become more expensive when the armored SW 12" figures will show up.

Last edited:
sideshow should get a manufacturing plant in the EU for you guys. cheaper shipping and you would be able to get more figures. :cool: not really realistic, but a nice idea.

pordey2 said:
In this case, it seems that the Government is trying to kill-kill-kill their poor inhabitants with taxes...

ditto on that

I am sorry to hear about your Vader.

BTW, yesterday my Vader PF 1/4 Exclusive also converted to an order but I had asked Kathy to hold it until Wolverine arrives safely.

It is very strange actually. I never had any problem till today but I know a few friends that had problems for no reason. There are even some collectors in Turkey that even bougth the Alien Queen, paid 990 $ and without any custom problems. What makes me crazy is there is not a definite rule on this in Turkey. It is mostly depending on the daily pyshcology of the custom people. Really. So you never know which item will got stuck and which ones will pass.

Alice your situation is really better than me, because you know that eventually you will get the item.

I don't know what Sideshow can do for us but somehow there shall be a privilige for people who are really collecting and buying for themselves.

Yeah, some of my boxes from Sideshow have slipper through the customs... without me paying anything. Should be like that every time :D

pordey2 said:
Yeah, some of my boxes from Sideshow have slipper through the customs... without me paying anything. Should be like that every time :D

hahaha, yes all my boxes were the same so far. But after last week, I am waiting for wolverine to proceed further. I agree that should be like that every time :D:D

As a collector from Australia, the shipping and customs charge sometimes can be as much as the purchase price of a statue.
Custom charges are mostly imposed on parcels delivered by FedEx or DHL.
Airmail/Global Express are usually fine.
An example: When I ordered Sauron last year through Sideshow Collectibles it cost:
US $ 300 Statue
US $ 145 Shipping by FedEx
AU $ 143 (roughly US $ 110) for customs
This has been my most expensive purchase to date.

Due to these high charges I have just cancelled the exclusive Lurtz, as it might be pretty similar to above or higher, as the statue is more expensive.
So I reckon you US collectors are pretty lucky.

again that really sucks ig time. SS should have plants in every major continent in the world to avoid these horrible international shipping/custom charges.

These extra costs make it therefor quite an expensive hobby and breaking a statue would be my most dreaded nightmare!:horror :horror

amonhen said:
These extra costs make it therefor quite an expensive hobby and breaking a statue would be my most dreaded nightmare!:horror :horror

I can imagine. If I had to pay your prices and I broke one, I would drop to my knees, cut our my own heart, and offer it up as payment to Mr. Satan, the Ruler of the Seven Hells for a replacement. Or I would go to a corner and cry....whichever

I have an idea, but it wont get much support from the State siders, and maybe it's a little naive of me. :monkey1

The way I see it, everyone pays for the shipping of items from China to the States, it's incorporated in the cost of the figures we buy. Then we all have to pay extra, it's called postage, to get the items we want from Sideshow, or other outlets to our homes. Why don't Sideshow set up a warehouse in China. Minimal costs to have it transported from the manufacturer to the warehouse. Then everyone can feel the pinch of having their most wanted items shipped to whichever country they live in. I mean, why should everyone else in the world be subsidising the Statesiders? :monkey5

I don't see it happening folks. The Statesiders are Sideshows biggest market. It is rightfully so that they get the better end of the stick, because its what's floating our most beloved Sideshow. Without the enormous support of the Statesiders we'd all have nothing to want.

Sideshow used to have cheaper shipping, but it was costing both them and the fans. They decided to go with Fed-Ex, to ensure as much as possible that we'd get the items we'd ordered, and have the ability to recompense their costs should things go astray. They are constantly looking at the state of affairs, of shipping, to make it the best for everyone. That is why they have given us the option of using another carrier, should we choose. As time passes maybe even more options will become available.

More options can mean more costs. I'm surprised they are able to keep the base cost of their items so low, as compared to other similar products that other companies supply. I am mainly referring to 1/6th scale products, cause that's what I'm most familiar with. They are still a growing company, at times there will be growing pains. The onset of Star Wars has created an unprecedented demand on their facilities and staff. I hear cries of employ more staff to cope, but at some time the Star Wars boom will burst and there will be many people that will be up for the chop. I would hate it if Sideshow ever became that inhospitible and callous to people.

I thought that i have problem here in Mexico, but what i have read you got bigger ones, i only have the problem that the idiots of the postal service doesnt know how to calculate the taxes sometimes and that makes me angry.

I lie in the price of the items because the postal service has lost me many things and thats my response against that.

Hey Congerking,
crawling into the corner and crying might not be such a bad solution.
I would cry so much that it would relieve the eternal drought on this very dry continent.:D

I get my boxes via Parcelforce and it's been a long time since I payed any taxes. I think because it goes through another carrier than the Swedish Postoffice it slips through easier. I'm dreading the delivery of the Buffy PF though, as it is myfirst PF from SS. Right now I have had a lot of single orders and the shipping is almost the same as the 1/6 figure. $108 total for 1/6 Angel!!:monkey2

Back