1/6 Head Sculpting etc

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronsFigures

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys little question here. im looking to get into sculpting some headsculpts etc and have no idea whats the best tools etc to use and what material to use aswell? i would like to make sculps for my figures down the line but just getting started with the materials etc would help just now. any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
take care
aaron

Best and easier is Super Sculpey Firm (grey one). After you finish with sculpting, you will put it to oven and bake it. That is for material and I use some clay tools set from eBay, but for start you can use everything, for example scalpel, pin (spike for details, pinhead for smoothing), wood stick,...

Or someone use on air firming clay - like milliput, magic sculpt(or magic clay?), green stuff,... But here you have only +- two hours to job, then it will be harder and harder... So better is Super Sculpey Firm, where you have all time what you want/need. But that clays are best for some bits for things, which you can't put to oven or small customs (beard for existing headsculpt, modify hair,...)

Best and easier is Super Sculpey Firm (grey one). After you finish with sculpting, you will put it to oven and bake it. That is for material and I use some clay tools set from eBay, but for start you can use everything, for example scalpel, pin (spike for details, pinhead for smoothing), wood stick,...

Or someone use on air firming clay - like milliput, magic sculpt(or magic clay?), green stuff,... But here you have only +- two hours to job, then it will be harder and harder... So better is Super Sculpey Firm, where you have all time what you want/need. But that clays are best for some bits for things, which you can't put to oven or small customs (beard for existing headsculpt, modify hair,...)

thanks elar for the info . im gonna get myself some of that super sculpey i think. do you have any tool kits or packs u know of that would be good for sculpting ?. i was looking at some ones on ebay but they are for pottery etc. u know any good tools for the job? thanks again

aaron

thanks elar for the info . im gonna get myself some of that super sculpey i think. do you have any tool kits or packs u know of that would be good for sculpting ?. i was looking at some ones on ebay but they are for pottery etc. u know any good tools for the job? thanks again

aaron

This is a nice pack:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-12-STE...477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35beb93515

ONce you get experienced with tools, you always end up making your own, there is no right or wrong. I also use a toothpick and/or needle for smaller details, I am sure there is a tool for that but it's readily available to me and works fine.

I personally use different types of clay for different types of work, but Sculpey is still my favorite. It's a great medium to start with and like Elar mentioned, you're not pressed for time to sculpt. In doing garage kits, one trick I learned is to BOIL the Sculpey instead of baking it. It dries faster when baking and you have uneven areas that can be burnt or crack if overcooked. You never have that problem with boiling and it never overcooks or cracks.

Toolwise, I have tools that I absolutely cannot live without and those are clay shapers and metal dental tools. You'll have to play around withe them to get the feel for each, but here is a set I bought and still use:

Clay Shapers: Used to push clay and shape around small areas and make indentations.
https://www.dickblick.com/products/royal-sovereign-clay-shaper-sets/?clickTracking=true

Ribbons: used to cut and remove unwanted clay.
https://www.dickblick.com/products/mini-ribbon-clay-sculpting-set/?clickTracking=true

Clay or Dental Tools: metal tools used for fine detail work like wrinkles, hair, pores, eyes, etc. and just about everything:
https://www.dickblick.com/products/kemper-ceramic-tool-set/?clickTracking=true

I'd suggest a mix of super sculpey and sculpey firm, knead it to the consistency that suits your style and what you're trying to make. Normally the finer the detail the firmer the better.

This is a nice pack:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-12-STE...477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35beb93515

ONce you get experienced with tools, you always end up making your own, there is no right or wrong. I also use a toothpick and/or needle for smaller details, I am sure there is a tool for that but it's readily available to me and works fine.

I just started sculpting and have that exact set from eBay. Lots of great tools there...the key for me though has just been practice, patience. And don't be afraid to watch some tutorial videos:

This series is short but helpful:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4COOhPk3k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4COOhPk3k[/ame]

Ive only sculpted about 4 times in my life so Im not experienced yet...
But I use super sculpey polymer clay(flesh tone) and these two tools to sculpt with -
SAM_4961.jpg

SAM_4965.jpg

The tool I use most is my homemade tool and its just a pencil and a sewing needle stabbed into the end of it! :lol
But thats what I use for most of the time.
The other tool is some kind of embroidery ballpoint tool(sorry I dont know the correct name), which is good for larger details and quickly moving clay around.

Also VERY important for me is a soft paint brush(about 3mm tip) and alchohol(I just use cheap aftershave instead LOL!)
Dip the brush in the alcohol(or aftershave!) and apply the alcohol by 'painting' and 'dabbing' your sculpture.
Its hard to explain what this does exactly, but basically it smooths the clay, which means its excellent for blending.
Imagine holding a flame to wax.(but FAR less extreme) All jagged and sharp areas of the
wax would be smoothed by the heat. This is kind of what the alchohol does to clay.

Here are two heads Ive done(Myers is only about 75% complete) -

SAM_4960.jpg

I just started sculpting and have that exact set from eBay. Lots of great tools there...the key for me though has just been practice, patience. And don't be afraid to watch some tutorial videos:

This series is short but helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4COOhPk3k

I watched that entire series too, before I started!
And also this one -
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDE2iXYlK4s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDE2iXYlK4s[/ame]

And Ive been meaning to buy some tools like that for about 4 years now LOL
The thing is, Ive got used to my limited toolset and cant even imagine what Id use most of those tools for! :thud:

Some more advice for new starters -
The most important thing is to not let these videos scare you and just jump in and do it.
Watch them first, but dont be put off.

My first attempt, I wasnt expecting much, just playing around and not really trying or thinking. Then I felt more confident for my next time and really took my time and tried.
Just dont be scared, take your time, and be patient. That is my best advice.

Last edited:
Heres a video for quick blending. This is the same technique I use for noses, ears, rolls of burned skin etc etc.
I then use that ballpoint tool to blend it better, then finish off with the paint brush and 'alcohol'.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOfYjyIu2tQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOfYjyIu2tQ[/ame]

Well, I ordered some Super Sculpey and some tools. I am going to try my hand at sculpting.

What do you guys use to put the clay on to hold it while sculpting?
I heard something about glue and tin foil?

Get some little wooden dowel rods from a hardware store and stick a tiny kind of lollypop (maybe with a little bump for the jaw) of your clay on the end, cook that, and then start the proper sculpting over the top.

Well, I ordered some Super Sculpey and some tools. I am going to try my hand at sculpting.

What do you guys use to put the clay on to hold it while sculpting?
I heard something about glue and tin foil?

I use tubs of superglue and sculpt on top of the lid area.
You could use a pencil to sculpt on, and place it in a pencil holder when you are not working on it.
cloudfilters suggestion also sounds great.

Get some little wooden dowel rods from a hardware store and stick a tiny kind of lollypop (maybe with a little bump for the jaw) of your clay on the end, cook that, and then start the proper sculpting over the top.

When you say "cook it", what do you mean?

super sculpey the flesh tone one is the best in my opinion and i made my main tool form a regular straight metal i took a pair of pliars and slowly carefully bent the point into a tiny lil hook which i use for EVERYTHING Apoxie Sculpt is good for adding beards facial hari etc to hot toys heads or any other polyurethane head sculpt being apoxie sculpt is air dry

What "cooking" means, is just that! Your basically goona cook your sculpt in the oven to harden it, depending on thickness, size, etc. The best way IS to boil it, that way you won't burn the sculpt or have it crack on you. Generally what I do, especially with a small fragile piece, is use a heat gun. I've found that even boiling small pieces can cause them to break or snap due to the vibrations from the boiling. You can also use a heat gun to prebake.
As far as tools, I generally make my own. When I started out, I got whatever I could find at the store and experimented with them. As you go along, you'll find what suits you best. Hope that helps. If you need any more help, feel free to PM me.

When you say "cook it", what do you mean?

Cooking/baking it (according to the instructions on the packet, or boiling it like Punishment says in the above post) permanently hards the clay into whatever shape it is when you cook it.
I've drawn a little diagram now to better explain my previous post.
Sculpt a little rough skull shape out of sculpey (this stage is easier using the standard non-firm type) on to the top of a wooden dowel, like a lollipop but with a little chin. The chin is so later on you can push against your head's jawline or carve away at his cheeks without pushing the entire head around in circles.
Cook that so it'll be a nice solid base to start your proper sculpting on. Once it's cooled down start layering on more clay bit by bit.
I hate this stage because SS Firm is pretty firm indeed and takes quite a bit of kneading to press each new bit onto the head.
Then comes the fun arty bit when you actually work on the likeness.
When you're completely happy with it (weeks later in my case), cook it again for the last time. Actually it's worth mentioning that some people sculpt a bald portrait, cook it at that stage, and then sculpt hair on top then cook it for the last time.
Notice in my diagram that the clay base-shape/skull/whatever is much smaller than the final head I want to make? That's because if, after hours and hours of work, when your sculpt is almost done you just need to carve a little bit more away from somewhere and you accidental dig down to the cooked (uncarvable!) 'skull' layer you are screwed. So make sure you only have the minimum amount of skull that you need to support your work. Unless you're a real expert who knows the anatomy of the head they're doing to the mm exactly then you don't want the final surface of the head anywhere close to the 'skull'.

And if you're like me, once you're sure that you want to pursue sculpting more then you'll invest in gear to do wax sculpting and you won't have to worry about any of the stuff I've just described and you can just get stuck right in! Sculpey's great to start off with though because you don't have to buy so much gear to get started. And from the looks of things some of our really great top tier sculptors still use Sculpey anyway.

attachment.php

thanks for all the help lads. gonna get myself a tool kit from ebay and some super sculpey and give it a bash :D

super sculpey the flesh tone one is the best in my opinion and i made my main tool form a regular straight metal i took a pair of pliars and slowly carefully bent the point into a tiny lil hook which i use for EVERYTHING Apoxie Sculpt is good for adding beards facial hari etc to hot toys heads or any other polyurethane head sculpt being apoxie sculpt is air dry

Great idea!
I will steal it now! :yess:
Thanks.

Back