Disney Abandons hand drawn animation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was inevitable because it's the smart business move, but I dispute claims that hand drawn animation didn't perform as well dubious. The promote the **** out of those (usually crappy looking) CG films, but I don't remember seeing any commercials for some Winnie the Pooh movie.

Nah they were planning on doing more but the cgi films are easier I think. Guess this means more Cars and less masterpieces like Hunchback of notra dame. Happy to say I lived during the golden age of disney.

So much for artistic animation. Guess all artists of the future will put down the paint brushes and pick up the ipad. Walt must be turning over in his grave.

So much for artistic animation. Guess all artists of the future will put down the paint brushes and pick up the ipad. Walt must be turning over in his grave.

Or at least his brain is spinning in a cryo-tube :lol

This is pretty sad to hear. I enjoy CGI films, but much prefer traditional animation. And I don't think the lack of success is the fault of the animation for Princess and the Frog or Winnie the Pooh... both were very meh films.

what was the Last animated movie made? Princess and the Frog?

Outside of Disney, who makes Animated movies? I can't think of any other movie that has come out recently that was animated.

were there any other movies that came out recently that were animated?

Seriously. I never knew that The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and The Emperor's New Groove were considered the Golden Age of Disney. :lol

But I could see some considering Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and the Lion King as the Golden Age of Disney.... :monkey3

I think I grew up in what was considered the "crap" age of Disney... I still enjoy films like The Great Mouse Detective, but they're pretty rough compared to earlier and some of the 90's films.

I do wish Disney had relied less on musical cartoons during their popularity resurrgence. I know they are among the most popular releases, but the over-reliance on musical numbers was always distracting and annoying to me. Pixar has done a great job of showing you can make animated films adults and children will enjoy without it being a quasi-broadway show :lol

I thought this happened a while ago. Wasn't Princess & The Frog the end?

Princess & the Frog was lauded as Disney's RETURN to hand-drawn animation after a string of CGI box-office disappointments like Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Treasure Planet, but at the time it was never advertised as the final hand-drawn animated feature.

In twenty years they'll release a new hand animated movie and rake in billions as "the first hand drawn film in 20 years". It's all marketing.

Actually pretty sure this happened back in the mid to late 90's. i actuall was prepairing to go to Disney for animation when they announced the lay offs. Then as the parks got new rides based on old films in the last 10 years or so they realized they had to bring back some animators to make new animation matching the old style for the ride wait lines. About that time they decided to go ahead with the Princess and the Frog, which was a poor project for hand drawn animation in my opinion. Without a big hit to credit with hand drawn animation looks like they've done away with what most people credit as Disney's most popular form of animation.

Back