Soldier Story or Damtoys: which do you prefer, and why?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogli

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping I could get some opinions on military figures from both Soldier Story and Damtoys.

Do you prefer one company over the other, particularly for the more modern military figures? Does one have overall better clothing and/or accessories? How do the bodies compare?

If you only ever bought from one company, maybe you could share why you picked that company over another.

I really like how figures from both look, but it's tough to tell quality from pictures. Also, I plan to use the clothing/accessories to kitbash custom figures, so I was concerned about stuff like tearing or poorly fitting clothes, or clothes that leave color stains easily. I'm not too concerned with head sculpts, but I wouldn't mind hearing opinions about that too, if you have any to share.

I guess this isn't really a discussion, I was just hoping anyone who has an opinion about this could post it here.

Thanks, everyone. :)

edit: removed stuff about whether I had this in the right thread or not

Last edited:
I don't know that the mods care if you post it here, but you'll probably get more responses putting this in the military section.

I don't know that the mods care if you post it here, but you'll probably get more responses putting this in the military section.
Thanks, I didn't think about that. I'm not sure how to move it though, maybe I should ask a mod. Thanks for the advice!

:dunno i thought this was the military section?
Sorry, those posts were before Darth Snoopy moved it for me just now (thanks!). :) I had it in the General Collectibles section before, which wasn't such a great idea on my part. :)

The clothing and web gear is generally equal in terms of quality, which is exceptional from both companies. I don't own any weapons from Dam so I can't compare, but the couple of Soldier Story guns I own are the best that's out there. Fragile but extremely detailed, you can remove tiny pins in the back and front of the M4 and strip the rifle down! Only issues you could find on Solder Story guns is items don't stay on the rails of the weapon, most fix this issue with some glue.
The field gear from Soldier Story such as radios, GPS, lights, etc, are complicated and accurate, top quality.
The Soldier Story bodies are very nice, not 100% compatible with Sideshow or Hot Toys (different type of connectors for the wrists, ankles, and neck), but I like how they look and pose.
I've heard some complaints about the Dam bodies, that they don't look natural enough, but I don't own one so I can't comment.

Lastly, the cloth boots from Dam! are the best that's out there, highly recommend picking some up!

The clothing and web gear is generally equal in terms of quality, which is exceptional from both companies. I don't own any weapons from Dam so I can't compare, but the couple of Soldier Story guns I own are the best that's out there. Fragile but extremely detailed, you can remove tiny pins in the back and front of the M4 and strip the rifle down! Only issues you could find on Solder Story guns is items don't stay on the rails of the weapon, most fix this issue with some glue.
The field gear from Soldier Story such as radios, GPS, lights, etc, are complicated and accurate, top quality.
The Soldier Story bodies are very nice, not 100% compatible with Sideshow or Hot Toys (different type of connectors for the wrists, ankles, and neck), but I like how they look and pose.
I've heard some complaints about the Dam bodies, that they don't look natural enough, but I don't own one so I can't comment.

Lastly, the cloth boots from Dam! are the best that's out there, highly recommend picking some up!
Thank you, this really helps me a lot! :D There were a few Soldier Story figures going out of stock that I wanted badly (the weapons and gear look incredible) but I wanted to hear more about quality, so your info has convinced me to get them.

And I will look out for those boots from Dam, thanks for that, I didn't know they made cloth boots! I actually liked the look of a lot of their clothing, so it's great to hear they have good quality as well. I've been waiting for so long for good quality figures like these, I'm going to have to control myself and not buy too many! :D

Thanks again, I really appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
I got a couple from both companys, both are really good quality but for some reason I prefer dam, I think its because they make there head sculpts at the correct scale, bodys are good to but they are alittle big, that worked well for the sgt eversman from BHD as that actor is about 6'4 or 6'5, but not for others.

As for SS there heads are to small, atleast they were, the last figure I got from them was about 2-3 years ago. Gear and uniforms are top notch from them.

I got a couple from both companys, both are really good quality but for some reason I prefer dam, I think its because they make there head sculpts at the correct scale, bodys are good to but they are alittle big, that worked well for the sgt eversman from BHD as that actor is about 6'4 or 6'5, but not for others.

As for SS there heads are to small, atleast they were, the last figure I got from them was about 2-3 years ago. Gear and uniforms are top notch from them.
Thanks! The most important things to me are the uniforms and gear, so this is more good news! :) It seems both are better quality than I expected. And thanks for the head and body size info, I was wondering how similar they are (or maybe used to be). If I get one from each at some point, maybe I can post a comparison. No one has anything negative to say about either so far, which is what I was hoping would happen! :)

For me I love both DAM and SS but not for the right reasons. Let me get this out there I hate Soldier Story bodies and heads as equally as I hate DAMs bodies and heads.

But Dams uniforms and equipment are top notch along with Soldier storys uniforms and equipment. Both company's do great work but I would say Soldier story does a better job with weapons and DAM is better with uniforms in my own opinion.

(For perspective I only use SS/DAM figures for bashes not to display straight out of the box......That is HT/SSC/DID jobs)

For me I love both DAM and SS but not for the right reasons. Let me get this out there I hate Soldier Story bodies and heads as equally as I hate DAMs bodies and heads.

But Dams uniforms and equipment are top notch along with Soldier storys uniforms and equipment. Both company's do great work but I would say Soldier story does a better job with weapons and DAM is better with uniforms in my own opinion.

(For perspective I only use SS/DAM figures for bashes not to display straight out of the box......That is HT/SSC/DID jobs)
Thank you! I'll make sure I don't expect too much from the heads/bodies, fortunately I also plan to use them mostly for bashes. With what you and others have said, Soldier Story makes exceptional weapons, so I think I'll pick up one of their weapon sets to go along with these figures. I hope I can make some bashes as good as the ones I see on this board! :)

As for SS there heads are to small, atleast they were, the last figure I got from them was about 2-3 years ago.
Gear and uniforms are top notch from them.

That's an issue with some of their past releases, but lately the heads have been scaled more accurately. And I do like some of their head sculpts as much as I like Hot Toys' sculpts.

That's an issue with some of their past releases, but lately the heads have been scaled more accurately. And I do like some of their head sculpts as much as I like Hot Toys' sculpts.

Can you post some pics of their recent HS's with some SSC Joe heads?
This is why i stay away from most other companies even if I think their stuff looks good, cause sometiems size differences look absurd.

Can you post some pics of their recent HS's with some SSC Joe heads?
This is why i stay away from most other companies even if I think their stuff looks good, cause sometiems size differences look absurd.

Sorry, I need a new battery for my camera so until then I can't take any pics.
Also, two are boxed up and one of them is the the SOAR Nightstalker which I don't dare look at in fear the helmet would break so I couldn't take pics of them anyways.
One that I have out all the time and I can't recommend enough is the USMC WWII M1917 gunner:
https://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2011/01/soldier-story-usmc-m1917a1-machine.html
The size there is a little smaller then most of my Sideshow heads which are a little on the big side imo, but his head is the same size or proportion to Hot Toy's Luke Skywalker, the sculpt and paint look just as good too.

The gear...everyone has already told you about them. And I agree. About their shoes...it was way better before. Before the beets and the plastic shoes came about...but the weapons...soldier story all the way!!! So for me, soldier story.

@Kibagami:
Thanks! I was looking at Toys City also, so it's good to hear an opinion on them! :)

@Davinator65:
Thank you! The way it's shaping up, I think I'll get a Soldier Story first (I really like the upcoming USMC Marine and the FBI CIRG)! :)

@Davinator65:
Thank you! The way it's shaping up, I think I'll get a Soldier Story first (I really like the upcoming USMC Marine and the FBI CIRG)! :)

The CIRG looks awsome and I jave been tempted on numerous ocassions to pick 1-2 up for either a gotham city swat bash or just to use the parts on other bashes if you can find them at retail or below there are Alot of goodies for a reasonable price :)

The CIRG looks awsome and I jave been tempted on numerous ocassions to pick 1-2 up for either a gotham city swat bash or just to use the parts on other bashes if you can find them at retail or below there are Alot of goodies for a reasonable price :)
A Gotham City swat bash is a great idea! :clap I think you just gave me a reason to get more than one if I can! And I agree, I was amazed at the ton of stuff he comes with, it makes the price seem even more worth it.

A Gotham City swat bash is a great idea! :clap I think you just gave me a reason to get more than one if I can! And I agree, I was amazed at the ton of stuff he comes with, it makes the price seem even more worth it.

Onesixthking has the GCPD patch which I was going to use if I picked up one of the CIRG for a complete bash. Yes they dont have the MICH helmets but that is an easy fix or left as they are they look close enough if you add the patch. Great in my opinion for a commisioner gordon dio with 2 of these guys.

Back