Clone Sideshow Bodies Switch to Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cc3680

Super Freak
Reaction score
does anyone know if a clone helmet will fit on a hot toys body. i think the ttm 21? also i think i heard that the sideshow clone feet and hands will plug into this hot toys body as well.
is there any truth to this?
Any suggestions for making my clones less likely to topple over?
thanks

Last edited:
Re: sideshow bodies

Yes. They can use HT's neck or the SS neck. The TTM 21 would be too tight for the armor prob. I would go with the 22.

does anyone know if a clone helmet will fit on a hot toys body. i think the ttm 21? also i think i heard that the sideshow clone feet and hands will plug into this hot toys body as well.
is there any truth to this?
Any suggestions for making my clones less likely to topple over?
thanks

Use the stand? It's just the way SS makes their bodies. Especially the older ones. They are extremely flimsy.

Thanks for the replies solo bones and exoticlex,

I just received HT Luke. My first non clone (other than ventress & maul). I am extremely impressed. I put him in all sorts of positions and he just stands there!
My clones topple over. I normally keep them on the stand but it would be nice to have them do more than just stand there. Displayed in an action pose would be cool. Check some people's 3A collections on you tube for an example.
I have them normally on stands but when creating a picture it is sometimes better to not have a stand because the stand gets in the way.

If switching bodies works, why do more people not do it? Is it cost? Lack of need or desire? Is there a way to tighten the sideshow joints? Is there a better body than the TTM?

I appreciate the input.

It does work, I think it is a cost thing. I would love to upgrade all my figures if it wasnt so expensive.

There are some sellers in Asia on ebay that sell "knock off" TTs for around $25-30. I plan on upgrading some of my figures, but need to do more research on which body to use.

Thanks chakaman. I think I'll get one body and see. I will post here. But yes they are very expensive.

Chakaman makes a good point. Alpha Toys released their "HT"'esque bodies an they retail for $15-$25. The come in Narrow Shoulder and Broad Shoulder, you'd want to go w/ Narrow shoulder. It may take a lil' modding, but it'll work. I used a HT Narrow Shoulder, w/ forearms from a HT Slim, on my Boba Fett. Made the figure so much better.

Kumik, about $25 as well, also makes a reasonably priced foundation body as well. They fall somewhat into the mediocre category in my opinion. I bought a couple an used them on some recent military customs. They work, but something just feels off about'em, and the skin tone is horrendous. Finding a HS to match is almost impossible, but hey, if they're going to be covered entirely in armor. I guess skin tone doesn't really matter. It would take some work to get the armor to sit comfortably though, having a Dremel on hand always helps.

As for tightening joints I stick w/ the old Super Glue or Fabri-Tac (takes much longer) methods. Not too comfortable using these methods, one screw up an you have an immovable joint, but it works. There's also taking the ball-socket off the bottom of a HT TT and gluing it to the bottom of the SSC Prometheus. I have a lot of broken bodies around, so I actually did this w/ my Darth Maul and he's pretty steady on his feet. Essentially what you have is the standard SSC Pro w/ HT ball-socket joints glued over the standard peg insertion joints. Then you can just pop in a HT (or similar brand) double-ended ball joint, and add you standard HT feet. Makes the figure a lil' taller, but that's just another suggestion.

Whew!! Sorry if I rambled on for so long. :lol Have fun modding your Clones though, can't wait to see the results.

Very interesting regal - changing the forearms on a HT is just turning a screw - correct?
I will look into the other bodies as well. I was hoping to stay away from grinding etc.

the SSC clones are on the slim bodies...made for the clone armor...trying to put it on other bodies is a pain in the butt...and usually takes a lot of work..unless you can find a slim body that is the same size/shape as the clone bodies..i tried it once or twice and it was just easier to buy the SSC slim clone bodies, in the long run...it was...lol...i do agree that they fall over and dont stand up on their own very well...

Well I got the TTM 22. The neck post changes over easy enough. The sideshow hands plug in to my satisfaction. Some people have posted the suggestion that to get hands to fit trim off the mushroom at the end of the sideshow plug. I have not done this, I may after I see the clone with armor on. Also some people have suggested taking the sideshow hand, remove it from the sideshow plug and put it on the hot toys plug. I haven't tried this yet. One negative might be that the hot toys plugs are skin color and not black.

My main dilemma at this point is feet. Sideshow feet with their posts do not slide into the lower leg. Unless I did something wrong. I will attempt to remove the foot from the sideshow ankle this evening then try to slip it onto the hot toys ball joint.

I will post pictures. If this does not work I will try to invent a time machine and go back in time and convince hot toys and sideshow executives to create a more compatible body. This may be the easier solution.

Sideshow Clone Body Switch to Hot Toys TTM 22

Hello Freaks,
I have attempted to switch my original sideshow clone body to a Hot Toys TTM 22. Why? Because i want a clone that can hold poses better and is more sure on his feet. I have not personally had problems with arms, knees or elbows on the Sideshow figures but the ANKLES. The Ankles give me headaches.

Many people have attempted to improve their figures by switching bodies. Mainly the Fett fellas. I got many of these tricks by reading the Fett customization posts.

This is my first time dealing with a Hot Toys body and doing anything like this. I wanted to document it well so everyone (especially newbies or the faint of heart) would be able to follow.

This is picture heavy. Let’s start here. Which is the Hot Toys body?

DSC01992_zpsac7c2564.jpg

Wrist Change
This is simple. Just remove your sideshow hand with it’s peg from the sideshow forearm and insert it into the Hot Toys one. NO ADJUSTMENT. I think this works well enough. Very Good retention.

Some people have recommended clipping the mushroom off the end of the sideshow peg.

clip_zps0c253922.png

Maybe on another body type that would be necessary but I did not find that to be the case here.

Some people have suggested removing the sideshow hand from the peg and placing it on the Hot Toys wrist peg then inserting it into the hot toys forearm. I did this. First I placed the sideshow hand in a hot water bath for 4 minutes to loosen the plastic. Then I simply pulled the hand off of the sideshow wrist peg. I placed on the wrist peg that came with the hot toys body.

I do not recommend this method for these particular figures for 2 reasons. #1) I found the hand to spin freely on the hot toys peg. #2) The flesh colored wrist peg may show at certain articulation angles and that may not be something you want.

Other people have found this method to work for them. Maybe they were using slightly different parts then me. I don’t know but it wasn’t good. I would just plug and play.

Neck Change
Experienced collectors know this is easy. But for us first time customizers and newbies it can be frustrating and scary. Very simply pull out the black sideshow neck plug and insert it into the hot toys body. I have included pictures for newbies. NOTICE: the skin colored TTM 22 body does not have the one piece neck-body connected to the body like some other figures. We start below with the sideshow black body and neck pulled out.

DSC01997_zpse4bf9ef2.jpg

DSC01999_zps70891441.jpg

DSC01998_zps5c3bc252.jpg

DSC02001_zps5c242011.jpg

DSC02002_zpsd0f8cbac.jpg

Last edited:
Ankle Change
This was the funnest one and most satisfying modification for me. Sideshow ankle pegs are posts. Hot Toys are a barbell type connector. I think the sideshow ankles are cr@%. I have the most frustration with them and I think this is why I have a had time keeping my figures upright without a stand.

First I gave the sideshow feet with attached peg a hot water bath. 3 minutes very hot water then another 3 minutes with new hot water. Simply pull the black pegs from the feet. Soooooo easy. I was surprised at how easy they came out.

Next (while the sideshow pegless foot is still warm push in one end of the hot toys barbell ankle. Super!!!

DSC01967_zps3d5adc28.jpg

DSC01971_zps590eabb7.jpg

DSC01973_zps6fdd2c17.jpg

DSC01964_zps317473d1.jpg

DSC01984_zpsb259ee29.jpg

Here is my Hot Toys body with sideshow hands, neck and feet. Super steady.

DSC01975_zpscd565181.jpg

Next try on armor.

Sideshow Clone Armor On A Hot Toys TTM 22 Body

Legs: GREAT! The fit is tight. There is no slipping of the armor, no spinning/ rotating of leg pieces. Joints are still able to move appropriately without restriction. It is like the armor was made for these legs.

Arms: VERY GOOD. Forearm fits well so does the elbow. Upper arm (biceps) were a bit loose. Nothing that couldn’t be fixed by either padding that area on your figure or padding the inside of the upper arm armor.

Chest: Good. The Hot Toys chest is not as big and broad as the sideshow clone. There for this figure does not fill out the shoulder bells as well. Still not bad and could be addressed with the addition of padding if desired. I actually thought there was a certain Realness to the way it fit so it didn’t bother me too much.

DSC01988_zps04e13734.jpg

Torso: AaaaaaGHHHH. Here is the next big problem. The Hot Toys lower abdomen is bigger then the Sideshow’s. The Hot Toys butt is a bit bigger as well. I could not fit the clone torso on to any satisfaction. I gave it the hot water bath to try and mold it a little. I could get it and then put the belt on but there is still a gap in the armor on either side. Also the chest armor would not fit over the torso and kept popping up.

DSC01996_zpsbb73da3d.jpg

Gree is the Hot Toys body. I would like to keep this Hot Toys body because the ability to pose is fantastic. BUT I am not sure where to go from here.

DSC01995_zpsec32a40c.jpg

I left the room with the figure standing without a stand. I never did that with a sideshow body!!

Not sure how to proceed from here. Any suggestions?????????

Back