The 36 -- ATTN: Bronze Gandalf(s), where are you? 16/36 found

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I have a slight obsession with the Gandalf the Grey bronze. I also have a little OCD i think and would love to know where the 36 are. I will never own one unless i win the lotto but would one day like to see on in the flesh for at least a minute.

Protoype Weta new Zealand
AP 1Peter Jackson? NZ Should make him a bronze for bringing us LOTR
AP 2 WETA New Zealand (sold on trade me)
AP 3 Richard Taylor? New Zealand. thankyou for Weta!
AP 4 New Zeland ?
0 in Weta's boardroom..(Prototype)
1 is with Sir Gandlaf in his garden.
2 Peter Jackson NZ
3 UK
6 Germany
7 Austria
8 USA
10 USA (in a hole in the ground)
11 France
12 US
18 listed on Ebay Germany
19 UK LCTOYS
25 Australia
31 France
33 UK
34 Switzerland
35 US
36 Arlington Tennessee USA

keep the info coming! Just to keep you all motivated with this thread as i am still kept up at night thinking about the 36. On completion of the 36 I will offer one of my collection for a prize in the giveaway section. No guessing on any of the 36 please! thanks agin for all the help so far.

picture.php

Last edited:
This thread is totally useless without actual addresses.............................................JK....LOL

Just giving this a bump to see if any of you freaks own one. If you are active on other threads please ask just in case. I would love to get to 20 but December.

You need to yell louder Stormy, some of these Freaks are getting long in the tooth if you ask me!

Me too, maybe some images might help, a much larger member list here yet much quieter. Mybe it is because I am a newby here. We will see.

Just updating this thread with post from the S & F:

Hi Clarkey :wave,

don't forget the 4 AP on your list.

=) The #2 AP was sold last year on trademe.co.nz for 5000 NZD i believe
So that one stayed in NZ :rock

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-...bilia/Lord-of-the-Rings/auction-277839311.htm

that was discussed here:
https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35011

=) well i can't speak for them but we have at least here two lucky members who own the gandalf :hug (#7 and #8)

https://www.wetanz.com/gandalf-the-grey-bronze-statue/allreviews

Some private pics would be highly appreciated:beer

=) if you check the only 3 pieces recorded as sold on toytracker:

https://www.toytracker.net/weta/tracking/weta.html/8711

the one with a best offer at 6500 GBP was sold from a UK seller to a French guy,i followed the auction but can't remember wich number it was.Don't even remember if the seller posted real pics on the auction page.

the second one sold 9500 USD was sold in the US.It was the #12.

the third on the list, i don't know :hmm

=) one was in auction 4 or 5 year ago from LCTOYZ (seller UK) the price was around 10000 GBP if i remember well and wasn't sold at the end of the auction (probably sold directly in their office shop?).It was number #19
some pics i saved from the auction:

=) There is also someone from our French forum who bought the piece on a UK convention i believe.
It is #31

https://fana-collec.forumactif.com/t547-collection-n32-kristo-idefix

=) That one #35 i can't remember from where and wich collection i saved the pics.

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

redo2.jpg

I know another Frenchie who was trying to sell his Gandalf but for a really big amount .I will try to contact him and ask him if he can share pics and to know his serial number.

:beer[/QUOTE]

Another owner

Hello

I am the owner of the Gandalf no. 34

I am building for now 4 years on my museum for Middle-earth (ME) here in East Switzerland in a little village called Jenins.
I hope that end of this year the work on the museum will be finished so that fans of ME could visit this very special place for watching thousands collectibles referring to ME from next year on.

419845_2597919197223_1532054239_31966849_605964503_n.jpg

The museum includes as entrance a perfect life-size hobbit hole (4 rooms - you can see here as actual picture at night incl. snow in Jenins :nod), bigatures (Argonath, Balrog, Cave Troll, Smaug, Treebeard; all 3 to 9 meter large), about 3.000 books, 400 original paintings of more than 50 different artists. Many pieces/collectibles are unique ones as prototypes, artist proofs, signed, etc.

I will inform you about progress and date of opening of the museum in future.

So a while back a good friend of mine, Alan AKA Ellroy, went to NZ and visited the Weta Cave where he recieved the warm and friendly welcome we hear so much about when people visit the Cave.

He was lcuky enough to meet many cool Weta folk which he wrote about in his posts when he returned. I asked him to check out the gandalf bronze and these are the pics he got! magnus is also there, a huge distraction of manhunkness for sure.

the photo's were quite dark so i had to edit them so the bronze might look a little bleeched out.

8154742741_954c89cbec_z.jpg

8154773810_502c7ebf63_z.jpg

8154778994_db7b45dd25_c.jpg

8154752197_6739db36e4_c.jpg

8154783522_c51a783f99_c.jpg

8154785078_bd774c5017_c.jpg

8154786430_a43e3b82bf_c.jpg

8154787840_e5190ffebb_c.jpg

To see 1 of the 36 would be a dream come true, to own one amazing. To see one of the prototypes would be simply awsome and imaging owninge one of these, wonder how many there are?

thanks to Al for the pics and details and thanks to magnus and Tim for making him feel so welcome, plus Tania dropping by and letting him hold an oscar, a dream come tru for aAl. Tim thanks for letting me post the pics.

Wow and thanks for posting, I always wonered what happened to the artisan thread but this is amazing and great pics. I have emailed Gary Hunt to try and get more info about the design concept etc but nothing as yet.

Thanks again an excellent addition to the thread.

Congrats to both of you Stormcrow and Elfcommunicator :beer:beer

Here is the one i saw at The Hobbit Artisan Market (Gary Hunt's booth) :love

GaryhuntGandalftheGreybronze2.jpg

GaryhuntGandalftheGreybronze5.jpg

GaryhuntGandalftheGreybronze3.jpg

GaryhuntGandalftheGreybronze6.jpg

Just found Mike's reply on the other thread
I was pretty sure that the Gandalf is a prototype owned by Gary Hunt and i chatted a bit with him :thumbs but i didn't ask to confirm.

if this is not his Gandalf,maybe lend by someone at Weta for the show?

:hmm

rarely they do they show up for sale and when they do the original retail price is a but a joke in comparison to the prices now. Last eBay sale was 18k I believe, and then there is the guy in Germany that was asking 30,900 EUROS!!! I assume he still has it ;)

They seem to pop up once every two years I think but less and less these days as I think collectors who really want one get one and then they are gone forever.

I understand,i thought that Gandalf 6 was located in the US,so maybe the buyer/owner is from Germany.

Just for record the #6 is from The RotK oscar party raffle in 2004 and was sold 4450$ (toytracker list) by the winner the same year.
It was all bonus for him as he paid only 20$ for the ticket

045274ee8df7f0499b65d58669f315b1.jpg

*Bronze Gandalf Statue from Sideshow/Weta Collectibles - No 6 of 36. Featured in Sideshow Collectibles catalog. (Special raffle, $20 per ticket)

https://archives.theonering.net/oscarparty/rotop_raffles.html

Here is an old page from the auction of the #18 (already listed).
https://www.ebay.de/itm/GANDALF-THE...ings-SIDESHOW-WETA-/260751608497#ht_590wt_948

I believe the same German seller was also selling the #17 if you check this old thread by Goliath on the freaks board.
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10843

[/QUOTE]The pic below if from a German convention,can t see the number but i think it is #17 or #18 from the ebay seller stand.
4f3b84f3afdef7b8d02e164f58e5063e.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Back