Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfan08

Super Freak
Reaction score
I feel that this needs a thread of its own, where all of the updates can be collected in one place, and where people can gather to discuss where they think the console is headed.

Update #1: Many are speculating that the Playstation 4 may be unveiled in February 20th, following ominous postings from Sony on the Playstation blog.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/31/see-the-future/

[ame]https://youtu.be/d-3GMHIgR-U[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/U7w5i_YCFmQ[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/Hvcps5dFzfc[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/-XF2pu-4rXc[/ame]

Apparently Ps4 will be getting released for Xmas in Asia & the States but will be delayed until the new year for Europe according to CVG. If true I'm surprised because when they did this with the Ps3 because most went wirh the Xbox instead, especially in the UK were the Xbox still dominates. I'll be getting both so not a big deal for me.

https://m.computerandvideogames.com/389050/edge-sources-ps4-to-miss-xmas-release-in-europe

The PlayStation 4 – which is currently expected to be announced on February 20 – will be available later on this year in both Japan and the US and will carry a hefty price, according to a translation of a report found in respected Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun. The Japanese version, says the translated report, will cost "greater than 40,000 yen," which means it will be more than $400 there.

Asahi adds there will be a rush to meet sales demands on both sides of the world, but the paper doesn't specify a US price; however, the PlayStation 3 launched at $500 when it came to North America, and cost 49,980 yen in Japan, around $535. So Asahi's report suggests that whatever the next generation PlayStation's price is, it will likely be slightly cheaper than the PS3 was at launch.

There's also no mention of a European launch, and the PS3's launch was indeed delayed in Europe by hardware shortages. Hopefully, Sony will clear all this up on February 20.

Alleged PS4 controller photo leaks online

https://m.computerandvideogames.com/391440/alleged-ps4-controller-photo-leaks-online

I don't personally like the look of it & I don't like the idea of touch screen on a controller, I don't see the point of it.

Thought this was an interesting article.

https://gamingbolt.com/durango-vs-orbis-head-to-head-analysis-of-the-pros-and-cons

The gaming industry is literally at an all time high with insane amounts of anticipation as well as suspicion as to what the next generation consoles will bring about. With only a few days to go before Sony reveals the PlayStation 4 to the entire world, we thought it will be interesting to see where the two next generation consoles i.e. Orbis and Durango stand head to head.

In this analysis we take a deep look in to the rumored specifications of both the consoles and decide what it will eventually mean for game developers and most importantly, for the gamers themselves.

Let us first take a look at the rumored specs of Orbis and Durango.
Orbis Specifications

8 core CPU: 1.6 GHz AMD Jaguar

18 core GPU, design based on AMD’s Radeon HD 7000 Series

4GB of GDDR5 RAM

3.5 GB data to be available to games

50 GB Blu Ray Disc, X6 Speed

Durango Specifications

8 core CPU: 1.6 GHz AMD Jaguar

12 core GPU, design based on AMD’s Radeon HD 7000 Series

8GB of DDR3 RAM

6.5 GB data to be available to games

50 GB Blu Ray Disc, X6 Speed

CPU:

Both, the Orbis and Durango are rumored to run on an 8 core CPU at 1.6 Ghz. They will be grouped in to two clusters. In majority of the cases processor speed is all that matters. In extremely rare cases, the game’s performance will be dependent on the on-board cache. The Orbis is rumored to be shipping with a shared 512MB L2 cache and on the other hand the Durango will have 4MB L2 cache. Now on paper, Orbis seems to have the upper hand, but according to us cache memory does not matter since data is mostly processed by the CPU on the fly.

Floating Point Operations Per Second:

For this you need to understand the meaning behind FLOPS. Floating Point Operations Per Second basically means: “a method of encoding real numbers within the limits of finite precision available on computers.” Or in another words, the ease with which computers can calculate a large range of numbers quickly. So basically the more FLOPS your computer can perform, the more quickly it can process data.

Orbis is capable of doing 1.843 TeraFLOPS in the GPU department whereas the Durango can do 1.23. So all your game related operations like pixel drawing and other complex calculations will be faster on the Orbis. But since we are dealing with Tflops, people using both the Durango and Orbis will see next to no difference.

GPU and RAM:

The GPU of the Orbis is based on AMD’s “R10XX” (Southern Islands) architecture and has a DirectX 11.1 feature set. Most games will still be made on OpenGL, but the feature set is good to have which suggests that the Liverpool GPU is an enhanced version of the architecture. It also contains 18 Compute Units. The main clock runs at 800mhz and it is capable of 1.843 Tflops.

The Durango GPU, meanwhile, is said to be a slower than the Orbis with a total output of 1.23 Tflops. This isn’t a bad thing however, since we don’t have proper documentation for it. The GPU’s main memory runs at 800mhz, just like the one in the Orbis, and features 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads.

Orbis’ RAM is said to be GDDR5, which is a RAM with a higher bandwidth speed, and also quite expensive. It’s a miracle Sony have gone with such an exotic configuration as they feel they didn’t do enough justice to the PS3, where many developers complained about the less amount of RAM. The system has given 500MB to the OS, which leaves us with a decent amount of memory, which can last an entire generation without causing bottlenecks.

The Durango is said to have 8GB DDR3 RAM, which you can normally find in desktop PCs, however, the thing with Durango is that it also has a 32MB eSRAM to complement it. The eSRAM provides very high bandwidth and also takes a lot of space on the die, but it sort of nullifies the slower DDR3 memory the system has.

However, considering the Orbis has a non-split memory structure and a RAM that will not need a lot of optimization from developers, we could see games running better on the system until developers can learn how to take advantage of the Durango RAM structure properly.

We can say that both the systems have an advantage and can result in great games if they are developed with each system’s strengths in mind.

Applications:

Microsoft are clearly going to provide a more application based product with the Durango. Out of the 8GB they are allocating 1.5 GB to the OS. So one can expect more social applications on the Durango during it’s life time, something which we have already seen on the Xbox 360. Expect a lot of Kinect 2 support too.

Sony on the other hand will be allocating 0.5 GB to the OS, which should run a decent number of applications. I am sure Gaikai will be one of the applications that will be shipped along with the PS4.

What It Means For The Game Developers And Gamers:

On paper, the Orbis clearly has a better hardware with a better graphic card and a powerful RAM. But will developers use them to the fullest? That remains to be seen. Judging by the current generation and the advent of multiplatform games, very few developers will be using the full resources of the Orbis.

With development costs going high and next gen consoles following a PC like development module, expect the current trend to continue on the Orbis with better first party and multiplatform games that will perform similar to the Durango.

One thing’s for sure, Orbis unlike the PlayStation 3 should not be getting any flak from the developers regarding it’s architecture.

Both the Orbis and Durango will have something unique to offer. The Durango will be offering a totally new set of social media features, coupled with Kinect functionality. Whereas, Sony will pushing cloud based gaming with Gaikai.

Conclusion:

Sony are indeed putting their best foot forward. But does a powerful hardware mean better games?

Games is where it all matters. Right now there are more questions that answers. Hopefully we will get them answered in the coming days and weeks.

Another new rumor from the Wall Street Journal.

The next PlayStation will be able to stream PlayStation 3 games, according to unnamed sources "familiar" with Sony's plans. The claim comes from a new report published by the Wall Street Journal, and suggests that online streaming of current PS3 games will be paired with new games sold on optical media through regular channels.

Sony's cloud service hinges on its $380 million acquisition of streaming company Gaikai, which was announced last year. If the PlayStation 4 houses architecture different enough from the PS3 to preclude effective backwards compatibility, streaming may be pitched as a solution.

Sony's official word on the matter is expected during the PlayStation event next week on February 20.

Last edited:
Sony did this for the Playstation Vita in 2011... PS4 is close! yay!!! :D

I hope it will have some sort of Vita integration for a controller, sort of like the WiiU tablet. It seems like a no brainer but you never know.

It makes sense that they'd release this soon. The PS3 still has about two years before the 10 year cycle is complete, just as the PS2 did.

I have to admit I'm a Sony fanboy and cannot wait to see what they give us with the next console.

Had the PS3 not been so expensive at first release, it would have been the dominant console over the 360.

I also still feel its full gaming potentials were never fully tapped by developers.

If it doesn't sound like a washing machine while you play games on it then I'm all for it...

Seems about right. With the nvida/AMD lawsuit, some specs are already leaked, why not go ahead and do an unveiling?

Might even be released by Christmas of this year. Pretty cool.

Means I'll be getting one by may 2014.

I have to admit I'm a Sony fanboy and cannot wait to see what they give us with the next console.

Had the PS3 not been so expensive at first release, it would have been the dominant console over the 360.

I also still feel its full gaming potentials were never fully tapped by developers.

No kidding. We'll get better games from the PS3 once the PS4 comes out and these developers figure out just how powerful the system actually was.

Seems about right. With the nvida/AMD lawsuit, some specs are already leaked, why not go ahead and do an unveiling?

Might even be released by Christmas of this year. Pretty cool.

Means I'll be getting one by may 2014.

Announcing it in February pretty much guarantees that it'll come out this year

No kidding. We'll get better games from the PS3 once the PS4 comes out and these developers figure out just how powerful the system actually was.

It seems to me that development for PS3 will be pretty much done once the PS4 comes out, there's only The Last Guardian and FFXIII Versus that have been announced that aren't coming out this year and it's possible those don't even come out, they might even get released for PS4 if they do get released. Besides that, I think it's pretty much going to be abandoned. It's not nearly as popular as the PS2 to be able to do the same thing.

Doesn't surprise me, it actually seems like it's earlier than they'd like to release a new console, but with the Wii U out last year and the new Xbox pretty much guaranteed to come out this year they can't afford to wait.

Yeah the new Xbox & Playstation need to come out for Christamas. I can't believe there going to release it in Europe after Christmas, if it is true because we dont know this for sure yet. It will really cost Sony over here but I'll definitely be getting the Xbox 1st either way so I won't be buying the Ps4 or what ever it'll be called until 3, 4 months into the new year anyway.

Anyway looking forward to Feb 20, lets see what Sony have to offer & see how true it is to all these leaked specks & then over to Microsoft :)

I'm interested of course, but with my backlog of games I don't know when I will purchse one. I just got a Wii U and to be honest shouldn't have with all the games I have right now. It's a great problem to have I guess. :dunno

Back