'Video games a bigger problem than guns'

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RagingBull

Super Freak
Reaction score
I find it so annoying when politicians or newspapers try & blame video games for crime. It annoys me even more when people who don't play video games believe there views to. Personally I think any one who commits these crimes are nut jobs who are going to commit these crimes even if video games existed or not. Like before video games they would of blamed music :cuckoo:

https://www.computerandvideogames.com/388760/video-games-a-bigger-problem-than-guns-us-senator/

https://www.debate.org/opinions/do-violent-video-games-cause-behavior-problems

People always find a way to blame anything else but themselves for their own actions, if someone does something terrible its not his fault, its because he was "indoctrinated" or something.. thats pure bull****

And videogames being a bigger problems than guns is crazy talk

Bull****, i've played violent games all my life including shooting games, but i don't have access to guns so i don't have the option to shoot people.

Politicians can scapegoat all they want, won't change a damn thing.

I've played violent video games and watched violent movies for as long as I can remember but I've never gone on a homicidal rampage. I don't own a gun but I don't blame guns either. Movies and video games don't create homicidal lunatics and guns don't cause lunatics to go on killing sprees.

In the pole from the 2nd link above the 1st argument is this

A 13-year old boy jumped from the building’s 24th floor and committed suicide after playing Warcraft III for 36 hours straight

The 1st thing which come to my mind is. What was his parents doing letting there child play a video game 36 hours straight & doing pretty much anything 36 hours straight is going to pretty much **** up & your got be a bit messed up to want to play a game 36 hours straight.

I shouldn't of actually titled thread what I did because its actually more than about just that

playing for that long caused some kindof of sleep deprivation temporary insanity.

I've played violent video games and watched violent movies for as long as I can remember but I've never gone on a homicidal rampage. I don't own a gun but I don't blame guns either. Movies and video games don't create homicidal lunatics and guns don't cause lunatics to go on killing sprees.

Unfortunately humanity is a cruel animal that will always kill, imo guns just make it much easier.

subtext:

The NRA is terrifying so lets change the argument so it looks like I still am concerned about stopping violence.

Just the flavor of the week scapegoating. Just like good old slappyjack Thompson. There is no proof, there is no evidence linking any of it.

But people will keep on blaming.

Rock and roll
Pot
Comic books
Dungeons and dragons
And now video games.

3d tv in the home will be the next target. That, or the Internet.

Just the flavor of the week scapegoating. Just like good old slappyjack Thompson. There is no proof, there is no evidence linking any of it.

But people will keep on blaming.

Rock and roll
Pot
Comic books
Dungeons and dragons
And now video games.

3d tv in the home will be the next target. That, or the Internet.

:lecture:goodpost:

playing for that long caused some kindof of sleep deprivation temporary insanity.

Unfortunately humanity is a cruel animal that will always kill, imo guns just make it much easier.

I won't disagree with that. Sadly though restricting guns isn't gonna stop a criminal from obtaining one. It's easier, cheaper and more convienent to buy a gun on the streets than it is to go and purchase one legally and wait 10 days plus pay fees.

I don't actually see how they can make guns illegal in the states now. Like isn't there more Guns than people out there. There's no way they can claim all them back.

Repealing the second amendment is what would be needed.
That requires a vote from the populous as far as I know. Not gonna happen.

I have guns and video games. And video games featuring guns. And guns you can see in video games. I have a gun in my truck right now ... with a "high-capacity" magazine ... and probably one of my kids' video games in the back.

Apparently, I'm the problem. Give me a break.

I wouldn't shoot anybody that I didn't have the right to. Politicians ought to learn to mind their own damn business.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Why do you need a high capacity exactly? Is it just because you can?

They don't seem to serve a purpose like for hunting or home defense :dunno

I don't actually see how they can make guns illegal in the states now. Like isn't there more Guns than people out there. There's no way they can claim all them back.

There's more guns in America than people in our country, it's scary.

Even if they did ban the sale of all guns then it'd be a hundred years before gun crime becomes rare. But "The longest journey starts with the first step". Restrictions or banning won't reduce gun murders now, but it will for the future.

After the second world war, the allies started the denazification. It was a good and rightious thing but unfortunatly they failed and our own government also failed in some topics. Women rights, rights of homosexuals, children rights, censoreship, pension plans. Fascism was so much more then the people who did something wrong, way more than just symbols or antisemitism. It was an idea, an idea of women who're there to clean and breed, man as machines to kill and work, controlled art and press in the interest of the party, children devided from the start and conditioned for their later purpose.

But what are parties and lobbies do, if something wents wrong? They use false argument, the excact same arguments all over again and of course they are way older but at least here so good known for this time. What was the reaction if a young boy was treated bad in school from the others? Well, he should fight them! He should be strong and hit them! And a girl? Well, girls don't fight and they don't make themselves dirty. No one thought for a long time that there should be someone in the school who watches over the children and helps them with problem. Mobbing was normal and okay, because someone who is different deserved all of it unless he did something with his fist against it.

Diversity was even after the war still something which the society had to fight against, even if it wasn't done as before. Video games are like comics, like rockn roll and all the other things in the past. It is right to criticize a game, not because it features violence but because it made something good or something bad. Books, movies, music every media feature feedback from the recipient and critiques and I think games need way more here but what games and a media doesn't need is criticism by lobbies like this one here or the government. There shouldn't be rules that restrict the freedom of expression and freedom of the arts more as needed and that isn't much, mostly because games, movies, books, pictures and music can't hurt people, it is even hard to offend them, because most of the time you need to choose to deal with them, except maybe if you're living in Guantanamo.

Fiction has influence, media always had influence but the reason for unspeakable misery was the same as with guns - the people who're using them. They used radio, television and all these things to sent messages in the mind of the hearer, the watcher, the reader and the message was clearly political. There weren't diverse stories and you couldn't think about right or wrong and see both, no there was a clear white and a clear black. A message was an order or an information about an order or the consequences of an order and of course they were always good.

Video games a bigger problem than guns? I say this propaganda is a bigger problem than guns or even an atom bomb.

Restrictions or banning won't reduce gun murders now, but it will for the future.

The same month that guy shot up the elementary school in Connecticut a Chinese man stabbed 22 children with a knife. Should we ban all knives and cutting tools now?

Banning murder doesn't stop murders, but banning guns will?

A knife is but a sharp object for prepairing food and cutting materials, not intentionally to be used the way as it was. A gun has no other purpose than to fire projectiles in to things. Dont think its a fair comparison

i have read the pages, watched the clip twice and i didnt once think he was talking about gun crime and video games being linked? I got the vibe he was talking about video games being a bigger problem to handle at the moment due to broader reasons like obesity, not doing home work, perverting peoples minds. I didnt see him blaming video games for gun crime. Though i am only going off the pages and youtube linked in this thread.

Uh we all know this... Government does too... Tbh if you look into criminology from FBI analysts you'll hear statistics about people born with a frontal lobe or birth defect are considered 35% of the homicidal criminals of today. (I know people with birth defects and they're fine. So no offense to people who do.) So if anything I would consider people who have real mental problems to be more dangerous than guns. Tbh take away the guns, crazy people still have access to what over 100 ways to kill people??? Knifes, Tire Irons, Baseball Bats, Machetes, etc... These items are all legal and don't even require a Federal 3 day background check or serial number. To say crime will stop just because of guns is ridiculous. I mean was there a gun when Troy was seized? No... they had arrows and swords. So killings will still happen regardless, a weapon is a weapon and anything can be made into one. Guns are just a faster way of killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back