3D Printing question.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreampusher

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I have a few 3D sculpts that I want to have made. Does anyone know of a 3D printer (company) or a 3D printing process which produces great quality and detail?

I chose a material which they (shapeways) says is for the greatest amount of detail. What I got back was basically a shell of my 3D design with no details at all. You live and you learn.

Sculpteo.com is another option. I've had good experiences with both companies. Shapeways has to problem detection and fix on upload which has been a bit of a pain, where as sculpteo does, but is a little more expensive, but also seems to be a little more flexible with fine detail and being able to print smaller parts.

Visionproto is good, they have the Envisiontec machine which is VOXEL base technology, resulting in a minimum stair stepping effects.

What about shrinkage? Have you guys had an experience with this? This was also a big problem with shapeways.

I guess what I'm looking for is the equivalent of a grey model. I'm not sure what the process is to get that quality. My guess is stereolithography.

Well, since I'm also new to this 3D printing, size is also a problem for me, I still can't figure out the correct size for printing. I've done 2 prints with 2 different company and I gave the same instructions for the size, however, one came 10% too small and the other one 10% too big.

I guess different companies and printing machines handle thing differently and might need more specific instructions :dunno. But quality wise, I'm sure that Vision Proto is one of the best.

Interesting topic. When printing a small object like a head do most people try to include the interior space for HT necks as part of the mesh or do most people dremel that out after the fact? I imagine there must be a disposable post built up on the table surface before the head itself is printed.

Interesting topic. When printing a small object like a head do most people try to include the interior space for HT necks as part of the mesh or do most people dremel that out after the fact? I imagine there must be a disposable post built up on the table surface before the head itself is printed.

It can be digitally sculpted in, the cavity for the neck peg I mean. Then print it like that.

I'm guessing most head sculptors include a foundation, it's not going to just be the chin and back hairline connecting to the table...

Here's my original model and the shapeways results.

horned1photo.jpg

hornedphoto.JPG

Back