What's the BEST LOTR DVD set to buy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wor-Gar

Torturer of OCD
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I have no LOTR on DVD. Tivo has held my reference versions for some time but at long last I want to get a set so I can finally see all these extended scenes...particularly Gothmog's death.

So, can you guys recommend THE DVD set to get? Is the new release worth getting?

What is the 12-disc set? Are you kidding?

So Tom, is the older set the last set? Is it a 6 disc set or do you buy each movie individually? So I want the original "extended" DVD's?

I'm so confused.

There is the original 6 disc collection of the theatrical editions with one disc of bonus features for each film, all previously seen and promotional in nature (trailers, featurettes from LOTR.net).

Then there is the 12 disc collection of the extended editions (four discs each). The movies are spread over two discs each (and include DTS sound and four audio commentaries), and each film has two additional discs of bonus features created specifically for the DVD.

Now there is another 6 disc set, featuring both theatrical and extended editions of the films on a two sided disc each, plus an additional disc for each film featuring one feature length "making of" documentary.

I believe that the 12 disc set is the best investment.

tomandshell said:
There is the original 6 disc collection of the theatrical editions with one disc of bonus features for each film, all previously seen and promotional in nature (trailers, featurettes from LOTR.net).

Then there is the 12 disc collection of the extended editions (four discs each). The movies are spread over two discs each (and include DTS sound and four audio commentaries), and each film has two additional discs of bonus features created specifically for the DVD.

Now there is another 6 disc set, featuring both theatrical and extended editions of the films on a two sided disc each, plus an additional disc for each film featuring one feature length "making of" documentary.

I believe that the 12 disc set is the best investment.

Ah! Thank you. I'm not up on my LOTR DVD sources.

OK, so its the 12-disc set for me then. Cool. Thanks!

Wor-Gar said:
Ah! Thank you. I'm not up on my LOTR DVD sources.

OK, so its the 12-disc set for me then. Cool. Thanks!

Are you considering getting the collector sets (with the SS/Weta pieces)? I highly recommend those.

I love the 12 disc set... it was kinda fun waiting each year for the new one to come out, and one of the few sets where the featurettes and behind the scenes bonus material is actually really interesting to watch. There's also a decent amount of Easter Eggs.

I just watch all three lotr movie on the newly 6 discs set, (theatrical and extended editions one), I watched the extended edition and they are different then the 12 discs collector edition extended one, some scenes are cut out, and not showing. especially the scene frodo get his gift from elf witch.

spider1135 said:
I just watch all three lotr movie on the newly 6 discs set, (theatrical and extended editions one), I watched the extended edition and they are different then the 12 discs collector edition extended one, some scenes are cut out, and not showing. especially the scene frodo get his gift from elf witch.

Now that would be interesting news - if it is true, I wonder why nobody else has mentioned that so far.

I assume you are referring the Phial of Galadriel that is given to Frodo, but I thought that was even in the Theatrical Version?

goliath said:
Now that would be interesting news - if it is true, I wonder why nobody else has mentioned that so far.

I assume you are referring the Phial of Galadriel that is given to Frodo, but I thought that was even in the Theatrical Version?

Yes that was in the Theatrical version. I doubt these new DVDs have anything cut out of them.

yeah, dont forget the bonus dvds that come in the gift sets. I recall one of them was basically a marketing dvd for Sideshow Weta. Sure worked for me!

goliath said:

Yes, that is the scene, the 4 discs extended version show all 8 members of followship of the ring got their gift from Lady Galadriel, but this version it only show frodo got his Phial from Galadriel. Some scenes maybe added, and some scenes are took out.

spider1135 said:
Yes, that is the scene, the 4 discs extended version show all 8 members of followship of the ring got their gift from Lady Galadriel, but this version it only show frodo got his Phial from Galadriel. Some scenes maybe added, and some scenes are took out.

I think you might have been watching the Theatrical Version. The other 8 members would receive their gifts only in the Extended Version.

Back