Prop Red Book of Westmarch

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceclimber

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi all. i am going to be making for myself and not for sale, a red book of westmarch. I will probably stop with the Hobbit and when my children inherit this prop replica from me, they can continue the story should they choose too.

Here is a sample page. Drawing is drawn freehand while looking at the splendid dragon that Daniel Reeve drew. Words are from Tolkien Gateway. i would be interested in talking with anyone who has Indy Magnoli's prop.

I won't crease and distress each page, but I was having some fun tonight with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a video on you tube somewhere showing the book. It was a collaboration of people who designed the book and Indy put it to paper.

Yes thanks. i have seen some of those videos. i am not looking for pictures really as my book will differ from his. I am going to condense the Hobbit down onto a short story of illustrations. I'll pen them on paper. More like a Hobbilt encyclopedia maybe. I'll bind with red leather if I can find it.

Last edited:
Again, thanks. I am making my own. He is away till February. I might be interested in purchasing a blank bound book though. I had read that he had offered those as well. Yes, his book is quite impressive.

Are the pages bound in the middle and one sheet? Or are they individual 8.5 X 11 size pages bound on the ends binder style?

How textured is the paper used? Is it rag or watercolor paper? My sample page was printed on 90lb Arches rough watercolor paper. Very nice stuff, but I would have to do a lot of cutting if I used that for all the pages.

This is just wonderful. Every since first saw the Fellowship of the Ring I wanted a copy of this book. Seeing it at the Science Museum in London during props tour, only reinforced my desire for this prop above all others from the LOTR (narrowly beating Theoden's armour). I've often thought of making one myself, but my calligraphy skills leave a lot to be desired!
This is a true labour of love, kudos to Indy.

It must be very expensive but I'll ask him anyway. Thanks :)

I was in contact with Indy last year...he is still selling them to order..still $500.

I didn't go for it in the end as it was a choice between it and the SS Dark Rider PF...Dark Rider won. :rock

But one day the Red Book will be mine. :rock

:duff
Bill

There are at least 2 types of 'hand writing in the Red Book. Bilbo's spider scrawl and Frodo's bold hand. There may even be input in Sam's hand :lecture

Big project to undertake so good luck! :1-1:

Thanks. I'll only be doing Bilbo's hand for now. After Hobbit section is completed, I'll make a decision about the rest.

Back