Anyone considered dropping Hot Toys due to Re-releases of previous characters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooncat

Super Freak
Reaction score
My major bug bare with HT is the constant announcement that yet another previously released figure has been re-invented made better and re-launched for sale.

It obviously depreciates the previously released figure and makes me wonder that the re-invention will suffer the same fate in a few years ?

Its this trend that has made me question whether I should be collecting HT figures at all !

I don't particularly buy them for their re-sale value, but it really sticks two fingers up at the collector when the best available 1/6th incarnation of your beloved character gets a make over and re-released, it depreciates the value of your figure and also shows you that you no longer have the best incarnation of your beloved figure there is a better one available !

I know there are some that would say buy them both, stop whining, get into another line. Nothing can be done to stop this HT trend apart from dropping the lines.

There's so many characters that could be done, it really screams profiteering at the collectors expense. Am I alone in my frustrations? or is anyone else thinking of dropping HT collecting for the same reason, monies tight so buying a $200 figure to have it depreciate in value because of this tactic is so very disappointing ?

I'm certainly buying less of them, but what I do is hold off on buying anything from a film you know will have revamped figures in the future, say the amazing spiderman for example, no point buying him now when they could have a much better one a few years from now with th amazing spiderman sequels.

Well, the OP does have a point.

Typically, when you obtain a collectible, you expect this piece to be the absolute best portrayal of the particular character available. Now, it's foreseeable that there will be new renditions of this character in the future - this most likely due to new movie releases. That's all fine.

But when they take an existing piece, and revise it, with no relation to a new movie, but simply do some small tweaks and stuff - then it could very well be argued that they are devaluing the already existing collectible. This can no longer be praised as the best of its kind. No, now it's just out-dated.

I will only buy them with retail price now, I been stupid enough to drop $700 for a tumbler before, they really ****** me off by that. I will only buy HT for fun not as a collection since they re release the same figure . Stature are more collectable then toys IMO.

it would be nice if HT made some new characters from new properties. But i dont see why they get so much flack for not doing so. I got into Hot Toys for Predators initially, so im glad they are re-releasing them. And id love figures such as a DX Rocky or DX Conan. But im not going to hold it against the company making new versions of the figures that i got into the company for in the first place.

We all bought our first HT for whatever reason because we wanted that figure. Now people think because they have bought a few of the figures HT wanted to make they have a right to dictate what HT should make next.

You should look at it from the point of view whatever franchise makes the best character of whatever figure you want, you buy it. I now think people are just addicted to buying hot toys and nothing but hot toys. So they want HT to make everything in their figure needs. And that they are screwing us if they dont.

No, its like saying im not buying another Mazda MX5 because they have released a new better model with air-con etc. As Oasis said ' you got to roll with it' :rotfl

it's not because of the reissues that I'm considering dropping Hot Toys. It's more that I dont think they're worth what you pay for. The prices are getting rediculous.

It depends a lot of things really but the main way to avoid it is to stay ahead of the game. Sell your stuff at it's peak when new lines get announced if it really bothers you.

"better" is also subjective. The new DX10 T2 wasn't that much better than the old MMS117 for example, so I had a think and decided I liked my piece and it was cool to me. Stuff paying again for a slightly better rendition :wink1:

Lots of the older Hot Toys are just as good, if not better, than the new ones.

For me personally I've had enough. They are getting too expensive now. When the price between a Hot Toy and a Premium Format or Enterbay figure is getting as thin as it is, I decided the larger pieces are better value for money and look better on display.

I still like my HT's but I've managed to shake that mental illness that grabs hold of you and infects your soul.

I got bored of hot toys a long while ago. I can't remember the last time I picked something up from them , I get the odd thing now and then. :dunno

I like the idea of issuing product that was out before. This allowed me to get the Iron Man mk1, and then there's the Joker reissue. I tpreally wanted this, but it's long gone.
The tumbler is another example. I tried to locate one, but couldn't, so I was very pleased when I read it was being reissued.
What they are not doing, is reissuing figures that are currently sitting on the shelves.

Its no biggie to me, re-makes of older figures that need it is good business. I missed out on the first hot toys endo and really want one for my terminator collection, however I will not pay 400-600 bucks for that figure because a new an improved version is bound to come out.

I don't buy figures as a business venture, I buy cause I like them and if buying them for any other reason like profit you will likely be disapointed now a days.

No I don't see a problem with it to be honest. This hobby is supposed to be fun so if your worried about reissues & after market prices maybe this hobby isnt for you. Weirdly enough I just tired of HT though, not that they did anything to piss me off I just moved on to other things. Now if they decide to make 1/4 Preds, which they should be then lets just say they'll be getting my custom back :)

Back