How do you choose?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaZaTrOn

Super Freak
Reaction score
First off apologies if there is a topic like this, delete/merge as appropriate.

Onto the subject:

A post in another thread got me wondering why people collect the figures they do and not others.

In a time where prices are rising and income is staying the same it's difficult for people to collect everything (unless they are very fortunate). When I first started this hobby a few years ago I intended to get all the Marvel Hot Toys that they released. It came to the release of Whiplash where I decided not to buy all the figures and instead focus on my collection on a movie basis.

I wanted to represent the movies/series in the best way. This has led me to have the following collection:

Iron Man - Mark 1 (2.0)
Iron Man 2 - Iron Man Mark IV, War Machine, (Black Widow now sold)
Thor - Thor and Odin
Captain America: The First Avenger: Captain America and Red Skull
Spider-Man Series - Spider-Man and New Goblin
Blade Series - Blade and Abigail Whistler
Ghost Rider - Ghost Rider
XO:Wolverine - Wolverine
The Avengers - Nick Fury, Hawkeye, (Cap, Iron Man Mark VII, Hulk, Black Widow, Coulson, Loki)
The Amazing Spider-Man - Spider-Man

Obviously some are on PO but never the less you can see what I'm trying to do.

However I noticed on here some people comment about certain figures saying that they will just wait till the next version is released, or that they might sell the old Thor and replace it with the newer Thor.

So how do you choose what to buy and why do you choose those particular figures?

I buy only the hottest new figures from the latest popular movies based on what other people tell me to buy. A poll is a must.

I buy only very well sculpted pieces of characters I like. Either they work up in value over time or I get no regrets about purchasing them.

I buy only the hottest new figures from the latest popular movies based on what other people tell me to buy. A poll is a must.

I would make a poll but I don't know all the answers to the question!

ummm.....

reaction+gif+firefly+funny+lol+wtf+meme+trolled.gif

...nevermind :monkey2

Here are some options for the 'too many figures, what do I do' poll:

*roll into a ball & sob
*rob a bank
*only buy the shiny ones
*consult the magic 8-ball

Feel free to add to the list folks.. :D :monkey3

Its usually a no lose situation,if you pick up the new batman dx,sure they might come out with a new one down the line but rarely does a figure go back lowew than retail.so when they announce the new version,sell the old one and use the money for the new figure.I did that with my dx02.I bought 2 of them for 175 a piece,when they announces the new one I sold 1 of my dx02s[the other ill kee0p for sentimental value]for 325.I took that money and put it towards 2 new dx 12 figures.win win

I only buy what I think will be worth lots of money so I can flip it for huge sums of money so someday I may retire a millionaire off this hobby...

I try to limit my 1/6th collecting to characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In fact, I keep a list of characters from the various films that I feel I need in my collection.

Don't buy any of them.

After a while they all end up becoming obsolete and they're all expensive junk. 10 years from now they'll all be dumped on the secondary market for $100 when the market is flooded with crappy dolls, especially the ****ty rubber ones.

Get out of the hobby while you can.

Ini mini miney mo or I have my an adult hold a figure in each hand behind their back and I get to choose which hand, the suspense is quite exciting.

Back