Weta Workshops The Hobbit Motherload Of Goodies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Josh

Ringer @ Heart
Reaction score
Weta released an amazing amount of items today. The statues have their own threads of course but I figure everything else is safe to have in one thread.

hobbitwilderlandalrg8_zpsb4012ae8.jpg

hobbitunexpectedjourneyalrg5_zps3ccbb544.jpg

hobbitthorinsmappropalrg3_zps443cc047.jpg

hobbitthorinsmapalrg5_zpsf1309afd.jpg

hobbitpendantkeytoereboralrg2_zpsb3e4abca.jpg

hobbitnorisknivesalrg2_zps84474075.jpg

hobbitkeytoereboralrg2_zps425e3f7b.jpg

hobbitgollumspreciousalrg4_zpsb1548c58.jpg

hobbitfilisknifealrg2_zps6dbc458a.jpg

hobbiteastfarthingalrg7_zpsc0d2d360.jpg

Weta has presented me with the opportunity to collect a movie range from the beginning, an opportunity I did not have with LOTR, and so far they all look good. I may have to get all these replicas.

Yeah, this is gonna be a really fun trip. I wish I had more funds because I could have spent a lot more money than I did today.

I agree on the weapons. They look great but assume they are just polystone?? Urethane to me sounds like rubber but I assume it is hardened. I assume UC will have real metal versions of these??

Another thing is very interesting here. In many ways I felt LOTR had an elven aesthetic, more to Tolkien's liking for sure. Here we see the heavy influence of the dwarven aesthetic on the merchandising so far. Of course this make sense but didnt really think about it until today. Weta has done a great job capturing dwarfdom but think about these weapon replicas vs the LOTR ones and they have such a different feel.

Another thing is very interesting here. In many ways I felt LOTR had an elven aesthetic, more to Tolkien's liking for sure. Here we see the heavy influence of the dwarven aesthetic on the merchandising so far. Of course this make sense but didnt really think about it until today. Weta has done a great job capturing dwarfdom but think about these weapon replicas vs the LOTR ones and they have such a different feel.

Don't forget sting glamdring and orcrist. Those are elvish. Their curved designs will really stand out amongst all that dwarfish geometry.

Are these items exclusive to the weta sure, or will places like EE and diamond distributors have them as well?

I was going to get the pair of axes and mace but made of high impact polyurethane. It's great looking but will pass. Key is made of zinc alloy so got that. Not getting any of the statues although gandalf looks great. Just too many versions of him, don't want another. Hope the other stuff coming down the pike is more interesting.

Are these items exclusive to the weta sure, or will places like EE and diamond distributors have them as well?

Probably, certainly for the open edition stuff, but really you can't go wrong ordering direct from Weta - they have warehouses in the US, UK and NZ, and you earn Weta Dollars on every order which you can use to get money off future orders.
After getting Rivendell, Barad-Dur etc, i'd probably be able to get Bilbo and Gandalf for free! :lol

Three reasons I'm gonna pass:

- overpriced
- plastic toys
- open edition

Plastic toys?

And yet you buy Sideshow stuff? They're the same thing!

And i would hardly call prop replicas plastic toys! It's the same freakin guy doing the maps, replicas and swords who done it for the film you...... silly person!

Seriously, this post makes you very hard to take seriously, why don't you add this reason to your list:

-Sideshow didn't get the license and i'm gonna cry cos obviously no-one else is allowed to produce merchandise from Middle-Earth

Good grief!

Weapons got to be made of steel, periode..
Hopefully UC will do better.
Seriously, you can't tell me that anyone would prefere a plastic sword over a real forged steel blade just because they used those on screen.
You seem to have a serious problem with Sideshow, so why be on the forum?

Last edited:
Three reasons I'm gonna pass:

- overpriced
- plastic toys
- open edition

Prices are spot on to where the market is. So you either buy or don't.

Polystone is plastic but these aren't toys like Sideshow's statues aren't toys.

Open Editions are as collectible as anything. The first statues from the original line were opens as well.

Plastic toys?

And yet you buy Sideshow stuff? They're the same thing!

And i would hardly call prop replicas plastic toys! It's the same freakin guy doing the maps, replicas and swords who done it for the film you...... silly person!

Seriously, this post makes you very hard to take seriously, why don't you add this reason to your list:

-Sideshow didn't get the license and i'm gonna cry cos obviously no-one else is allowed to produce merchandise from Middle-Earth

Good grief!

Frodo you need to chill. While I think the post is off the mark this makes you look like a homer who can't let Weta take some criticism but take a couple pot shots at Sideshow. Deep breath man :)

Back