eBay buyers - idiots?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglor

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm new to selling on eBay and I'm encountering something I didn't expect. I have an item for sale as an auction that is getting a lot of views. It's a week-long auction, and during the week I've received these two messages:

So I would really like to have your figure. What are you looking to get for it?

Hi there,

How much you want for this figure ? I live in _________, so shipping shouldn't be too bad. Thanks

Do these people not understand the concept of an auction? WTF?!

I've been buying on eBay for years and never once sent a seller a question like this. Am I the only one that finds this annoying?! :banghead

No you are not. I've gotten questions like this as well, and it is really annoying because some people think i'll just take my auction down and sell to them directly... Which is insane to do, because you will not have the seller protection, no matter how slim it is, that ebay can offer.

I think it is now more that some buyers think they can just have which any way they want it...and just like Maglor I've never asked a seller something like this...nor would I ever.

So, yes there are a decent amount of idiots out there that think they can do whatever. Exactly why they think they can do this..I still have yet to figure out :dunno

eBay is such a crapshoot now. My biggest issue with selling on there is people trying to scam by saying things are damaged or missing. I've had a couple of people say pieces are missing (SSC Exclusive pieces in both cases) and report to it eBay that the item wasn't as described and of course eBay sides with them even though I have photo evidence that everything was there.

Then there was the guy who said that a box was dented even though it listed it as such on the auction description. eBay sided with him too.

Sometimes on a hot item, people will offer a certain amount to end the auction early because they fear the price getting too high. They offer substantially more than the current auction price. For example. Model kit is at $20. Buyer offers $100 to end the auction early, or maybe $120. The item hasn't been up for sale before, so no one knows how much it will really go for. The item may well not exceed $80 at auction, so the seller accepts. The buyer now has less stress getting what they want, and the seller is happy too. It's a win win.

I agree though, that a potential buyer simply asking what someone wants for something is ridiculous. Make a decent offer or don't bother me.

I'm new to selling on eBay and I'm encountering something I didn't expect. I have an item for sale as an auction that is getting a lot of views. It's a week-long auction, and during the week I've received these two messages:

Do these people not understand the concept of an auction? WTF?!

I've been buying on eBay for years and never once sent a seller a question like this. Am I the only one that finds this annoying?! :banghead

I have 2 whole paragraphs larger than my item descriptions for every auction to cover all the BS from buyers. I suggest sending them a link to a literacy book and placing both idiots on your block list. I think my blocklist is between War and Peace and the Bible in size. :lol

I don't even do auctions anymore, just Fixed Price, good till cancel items. I hardly get any questions. . .

. . . maybe it's just because people don't want my _____

:(

I don't even do auctions anymore, just Fixed Price, good till cancel items. I hardly get any questions. . .

. . . maybe it's just because people don't want my _____

:(

I usually do a fixed starting price at the minimum I'm willing to accept and a BIN price that's competitive with completed listings. I never start at zero due to the snipers.

Swear to god every time I give even a moments consideration to selling on ebay theres a thread like this which puts me off. Yes this sounds very annoying...mind you the same stuff happens here. Maybe my FS thread is just too long but with the messages I've gotten at times it really seems like they haven't read a word of it.

One time I had a guy asking me if I would send him the item for free, because he was a customizer and he has a lot of friends who customize and they'd all advertise for me. He said many people were satisfied with the results.

Unfortunately, I had to turn him down.

Swear to god every time I give even a moments consideration to selling on ebay theres a thread like this which puts me off. Yes this sounds very annoying...mind you the same stuff happens here. Maybe my FS thread is just too long but with the messages I've gotten at times it really seems like they haven't read a word of it.

Blocked User list. :lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

One time I had a guy asking me if I would send him the item for free, because he was a customizer and he has a lot of friends who customize and they'd all advertise for me. He said many people were satisfied with the results.

That sounds familiar. I even had one idiot screaming at me to send him my item free of charge and overnight-express or I'd get a negative and he would sue me for fraud because another ebay user sold him the same item but it broke while he was pulling it out of the box and he couldn't find the other seller (I'm assuming the seller blocked the idiot). :cuckoo: :lol

Welcome to selling on eBay! :hi5: :lol

Just wait until you start getting the entitlement-laced demands for refunds from unreasonable buyers. That's the real joy of selling on eBay :1-1:

Welcome to selling on eBay! :hi5: :lol

Just wait until you start getting the entitlement-laced demands for refunds from unreasonable buyers. That's the real joy of selling on eBay :1-1:

:lol I know it's been a month, but I don't like this item. Please send me your address so I can ship it back to you for a refund! :lol

Blocked User list. :lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

That sounds familiar. I even had one idiot screaming at me to send him my item free of charge and overnight-express or I'd get a negative and he would sue me for fraud because another ebay user sold him the same item but it broke while he was pulling it out of the box and he couldn't find the other seller (I'm assuming the seller blocked the idiot). :cuckoo: :lol

sounds like someone was off their meds
Hahahahaha :rotfl
oh my god, that's so funny

i had a problem recently, bought a item from ebay, valued at full , usually i try to declare less, but in this case it was valued at full,, the item got stuck in customs becos of the high value, i was send a letter to report to them with proof of purchase and receipt.i did all that and inspite of nearing the ebay buyer protection period of 40days the item was still stuck in customs, i did keep in touch with the seller who was communicative, but nonetheless, it was nearing the 40days period and so i opened a resolution centre case that i havent received the item and explainin clearly the item was stuck in customs and not delivered, but then the seller escalated the case and ebay decided in his favor, i was suprised because the tracking clearly showed it was in customs and when i appealed they again decided in his favor
in the meantime i kept going to the customs directly and after 50days i finally got it add to it a 90$ customs duty for a 175$item plus 60$shipping (37% of total 235$)
i was dissappointed with the seller for escalating the case and couldnt figure how ebat decided in his favor when tracking showed item in customs only..nonetheless it ended well but it was pure frustration for few weeks

i had a problem recently, bought a item from ebay, valued at full , usually i try to declare less, but in this case it was valued at full,, the item got stuck in customs becos of the high value, i was send a letter to report to them with proof of purchase and receipt.i did all that and inspite of nearing the ebay buyer protection period of 40days the item was still stuck in customs, i did keep in touch with the seller who was communicative, but nonetheless, it was nearing the 40days period and so i opened a resolution centre case that i havent received the item and explainin clearly the item was stuck in customs and not delivered, but then the seller escalated the case and ebay decided in his favor, i was suprised because the tracking clearly showed it was in customs and when i appealed they again decided in his favor
in the meantime i kept going to the customs directly and after 50days i finally got it add to it a 90$ customs duty for a 175$item plus 60$shipping (37% of total 235$)
i was dissappointed with the seller for escalating the case and couldnt figure how ebat decided in his favor when tracking showed item in customs only..nonetheless it ended well but it was pure frustration for few weeks

You accept and assume this responsibility when importing an item. It's not his fault you live where you do and I don't see how the seller has any fault here. :huh

Back