How to remove smoke smell/residue from GG Yoda bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitFisto

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I picked up a GG ATOC Yoda bust for $180. Pretty good deal, but it was housed by a smoker. It smells a little like smoke and has some residue on it.

Is there anything I can use to safely remove this? It's not bad at all, but just enough to annoy me a little and I'd like to remove it if possible. I can live with it if I have, but I figured someone here might know a little about this problem.

thanks in advance.

Smokers, disgusting creatures.

Have you dried a damp cloth? I'd think that would do the trick but what the hell do I know about these things?

Viniger is suppose to suck up the smoke smell in closets and stuff.. so I would think it might work for this as well. Put the viniger in a bowl and put it next to the statue... I would think you have to put them both in a box or something (the more air tight the better).

I am by no means an expert... so don't hold me to it. :D

Darth Loki said:
Smokers, disgusting creatures.QUOTE]

So are big mouths with an intolerance for something they do themselves, like say.... SCALPING. Before you go insulting a whole group of millions of people, you might want to think your comment through a little. Just a suggestion. :monkey4

HeraldElrond said:
Darth Loki said:

So are big mouths with an intolerance for something they do themselves, like say.... SCALPING. Before you go insulting a whole group of millions of people, you might want to think your comment through a little. Just a suggestion. :monkey4

Well, part of the problem is the lack of respect many smokers show for other people. I don't care if you smoke, but you don't have the right to make me breath it because you feel like it. I don't mean YOU, but many smokers in general are only worried about their rights to smoke and could care less about the people around them.

I will say there are also smokers who are very polite and ask first or go outside away from other people to do it.

Fair enough, but this isn't about smokers courtesy, unless you want to argue that the seller should have stated it had smoke residue. I just can't stand it when people make stereotypical generalizations about a group of millions of completely diverse and different people. Maybe it's just me.

HeraldElrond said:
Darth Loki said:

I really shouldn't get into this, since I don't know either of you, but ah well. Call me crazy, but I don't recall SCALPING ever causing lung cancer or other harmful effects on the body. A scalper can attempt to sell an item for a ridiculous price, but that doesn't mean I have to buy it. A smoker blows their poison in my face, and unfortunately I have little choice but to breathe it in. I'd say there's a big difference there. So, yes, smoking is a disgusting habit (even friends of mine who happen to be smokers admit to this).

trainscan0018.jpg

People......I just need help removing smoke residue from my bust. Lets not fight!

Kit,

Here is a trick that I once used. My parents bought me a dresser when I was a teen and it sat in my room untill I was a senior in college. My mom smokes so the dresser stinked like smoke as well. Is what I did and this helped get rid of the smell pretty fast is that I caked the thing in Bounty or snuggle dryer sheets. They smell good and so they made the dresser smell like the dryer sheets but I think they may have absorbed some of the smoke as well. Also, putting it outside or even by a window will help. I would not be putting to many chemicals
on the bust means these guys can be senstive so I would just repeatedly use water to try to rid the bust of the residue. So in the end this is what I may do. Place the bust in a tight secure area, such as a shoe box, with a few of the fabric softner sheets, after that let it get some fresh air and then wash it with a soft wet cloth. I would not wrap the fabric sheets around it as that could scratch it. Good luck.

Gran3131 said:
Kit,

Here is a trick that I once used. My parents bought me a dresser when I was a teen and it sat in my room untill I was a senior in college. My mom smokes so the dresser stinked like smoke as well. Is what I did and this helped get rid of the smell pretty fast is that I caked the thing in Bounty or snuggle dryer sheets. They smell good and so they made the dresser smell like the dryer sheets but I think they may have absorbed some of the smoke as well. Also, putting it outside or even by a window will help. I would not be putting to many chemicals
on the bust means these guys can be senstive so I would just repeatedly use water to try to rid the bust of the residue. So in the end this is what I may do. Place the bust in a tight secure area, such as a shoe box, with a few of the fabric softner sheets, after that let it get some fresh air and then wash it with a soft wet cloth. I would not wrap the fabric sheets around it as that could scratch it. Good luck.

I will try that. Thanks. Also sounds like most people think just a damp rag to wipe if off is the best bet. I figured that too, but thought I'd ask if anyone knew of a soft soap or something that might not damage the bust.

thanks again.

Hahaha... Wow, what a response. Defensive much? And yes, I do call my friends disgusting when they smoke, and they generally respond with something along the lines of "I know, I know... I'm trying to quit." Hard thing to fight, that addiction. But carry on and enjoy your life.

As for removing disgusting odors, I've been told this product called Nokout has great results:

https://www.nokout.com/smoke_tobacco_odors.html

Again that product may work. However, we are talking about a very valuable mini bust here and putting any chemical on it could create a reaction that could damage the bust. Best bet is water and time.

If a polystone statue with no cloth mixed-media parts stinks, it's stained with residue.

Any smoke residue is very tough to remove. It's acidic, and left alone can damage paint because it continues a chemical reaction. It takes a strong cleaner like 409 or TSP to get cigarette smoke residue off, and both of those will strip the paint underneath. But mild soap and water alone won't remove the residue.

You might start by contacting GG to see what they use to seal the statue. If it's lacquer, you're in luck. You'll probably be able to use a strong cleaner, and GG might recommend one.

If GG can't or won't offer advice, you might want to call a company that does cleanup after house fires for advice. They may sell products that would help, including chemically treated sponges that may wipe some of the residue away without stripping the paint. They'll be familiar with smoke damage to collectibles after house fires, and smoke from a house fire is much stinkier than that from cigarette smoke. Check the yellow pages or Google "fire damage cleanup."

If all else fails you can always just start up a smoking habit. Your health and those around you will be in danger but you won't notice the smell anymore and can enjoy your SW collectibles much more. Its all about priorities. :D

Khev said:
If all else fails you can always just start up a smoking habit. Your health and those around you will be in danger but you won't notice the smell anymore and can enjoy your SW collectibles much more. Its all about priorities.

:lecture....Its never to late to start smoking!!!

Please refer to the FAQ regarding abusing other members. Also note the section about not getting bent out of shape by an obvious joke.

Let's stay on target, especially since this is an important subject. I've bought a couple of things on ebay that stank of smoke too.

HeraldElrond said:
Darth Loki said:

Dave I understand why you deleted the rest of the posts but I'd like to have my defense of my obvious (at least I thought it was obvious) joke stay up.

It was a reference to what C3PO calls Jawas. Obviously the joke wasn't obvious to all.

Back