Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arctic Beast

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello guys. I live in a kind of remote location but will be driving south and am hoping to get some half decent but not to expensive display cabinets. I am thinking my best bet will be IKEA but its huge, so I was wondering if anyone could help narrow my search by providing the name of some IKEA cabinets they have utilized and liked.

If there is another source you think is good as well let me know.

Oh I live in Canada, and am heading to southern Canada.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Detolfs for 1/6
Bestas for statues

Ikea is your best bet. JYSK is another option. Poor man's Ikea. I got my detolfs from them and they're good.

Getting into Premium formats and comiquettes so I'll check out the bestas. I'll keep an eye out for Jysk as well thanks.

I bought a Billy shelf. It's 6'6" tall and 15 1/2 inches wide. It was $59.99
Then I got a glass door for the front that was $55. Finally I bought some cool LED lights, 4 lights that hang under the shelves and plug in for $29.99

I'll post a pick if I get a chance in the next day or so. I love it, especially for 1/6 scale figures.

Then I got a glass door for the front that was $55. Finally I bought some cool LED lights, 4 lights that hang under the shelves and plug in for $29.99

I'll post a pick if I get a chance in the next day or so. I love it, especially for 1/6 scale figures.

Awesome info bud thanks very much. I take it by the name Billy it's from Ikea right? Yeah a pic would be great if you find the time but no worries if you can't I'll google it.

Curious...did you have to go and have the glass door custom made or is it available from IKEA? I don't have an IKEA store anywhere near my state.

Billy cabinets are no good for PFs man. They are way too small. Stick to Bestas. You can get glass doors at ikea. A lot if their stuff will have similar size glass doors that will fit well on various cabinets. Some people use glass doors on Bestas and some don't. It may limit whether a statue will fit depth wise but it will keep everything a bit more dust free.

made a guide for my pax display a while back on sf, it was the best display cabinet i could find for 1/4 and larger statues after wasting god knows how much money buying all sorts other furnitures that could barely fit a few statues.

Pasted below, hopefully can help you. I am looking to get another as this already got filled to the max now.

------------------

The best display is ikea's PAX, NOTHING comes close in term of flexibility, price, & space. It's also the ONLY display under $2000 that has a real 22" shelf depth (vs 17" max for all the others). It let you display statues the way you want (ie the avenger team stack), and the only display that will fit the optimus prime statue. It also has dust resistant sliding doors like the highend curios as oppose to besta open doors. Lastly it comes with 93+" height option, which will allow 31"+ per shelf height, that will fit most if not all CM and lsf statues as well.

I am currently building one using custom non-glare 99% uv-resistent acrylic panels designed for museum display, will post some details/photo once done in a week or two.

Should have gone this route long time ago, instead of wasting thousands of dollars buying those giant grandma's curio with little depth that can barely fit anything but takes up sooo much space.

Finally got around to take some photos, see the finished PAX. A few notes:

1) In the comparison photo, see the pax DWARFS the $1300 Macy's curio(which is a huge piece already, i use it as a dedicated lotr display now), and this is the smaller PAX...

2) Note how with the extra shelf depth i am able to display the riders facing front or to stack the conan/barbarian/leonidas, all are giant pieces which would taken significantly more precious shelf width in a regular 15" depth shelf. And it's the only shelf that fits optimus perfectly.

3) See next post for a quick guide to build your own as I did the research already, hopefully someone can benefit from it.

pax1.jpg

pax3.jpg

----------------

How to build your PAX (see previous post for photos)

1) Select the correct PAX base (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79894902/#/S19894900 ).

Use the drop down to select your width/height, you have 4 options: 59"x25"x79", 59"x25"x93", 78"x25"x79, 78"x25"x93". Do NOT select other options, as the internal shelf will be inappropriate, if you need even wider ones, buy 2x. And select your wood color.

2) Select the shelf (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30215122/ )

You need at least 3 pack (for 6 shelves), select the correct width/color. Dont use the glass shelves, they too risky.

3) Select the lighting(optional): (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50163848/ )

The best lighting for statue display are evenly distributed soft light in the 2000k to 5000k range, basically you shouldnt notice it's on. The WORST kind are those uneven glaring halogen spotlights used in most glass curios that destroy your statue aesthetic, they are great for glass plates & swaroski not giant polystone statues. Also LED is much preferred over the rest as it doesnt get hot and long lasting, having an oven above your statue for years is never a good thing.

That said, the ikea led strips linked are excellent, they are designed for PAX and fits across the entire shelf perfectly for even light distribution. Only downside is it's expensive at $35 per shelf. If you do decide to use the ikea led, you also need the wires that are not included, for 6x led strip, you need

-5x connector: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40119926/
-
1x powercord: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30121411/

4) Order your custom display panels. (link: https://www.professionalplastics.com/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYLICSHEET-EXTRUDED )

Wait until you receive your PAX, then take out 1 of its non-clear glass panel, measure the width/length/depth precisely. Then goto any one of the websites to order 6x clear acrylic panel of the exact same dimension (go with <0.062 tolerance which is the standard). I use professionalplastics.com, also checkout ebay or local stores. Dont get fancy, use standard clear acrylic or lexan.

Note: you can also use glass panels, however they are 2x as expensive due to shipping, weight twice as much, and less clear. The yellowing/scratch issue of acrylics are way overblown, i have kept acrylic fish tanks my whole life, never had any issues (and those have 300+ watts of simulated sunlight blasting at it 11 hrs a day).

5) Install your PAX!

Follow the instructions, make sure it's secured to the wall! Dont try to win the darwin award for getting crushed by your own display shelf, those things are very tall and ikea quality..

Here's a video that i found very helpful with installing the sliding doors. Link: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUut6I6zNqI[/ame]

6) POST YOUR PICTURES! :)

NOTE: total cost for my pax 59"x25"x93" is ~$800

made a guide for my pax display a while back on sf, it was the best display cabinet i could find for 1/4 and larger statues after wasting god knows how much money buying all sorts other furnitures that could barely fit a few statues.

Pasted below, hopefully can help you. I am looking to get another as this already got filled to the max now.

------------------

The best display is ikea's PAX, NOTHING comes close in term of flexibility, price, & space. It's also the ONLY display under $2000 that has a real 22" shelf depth (vs 17" max for all the others). It let you display statues the way you want (ie the avenger team stack), and the only display that will fit the optimus prime statue. It also has dust resistant sliding doors like the highend curios as oppose to besta open doors. Lastly it comes with 93+" height option, which will allow 31"+ per shelf height, that will fit most if not all CM and lsf statues as well.

I am currently building one using custom non-glare 99% uv-resistent acrylic panels designed for museum display, will post some details/photo once done in a week or two.

Should have gone this route long time ago, instead of wasting thousands of dollars buying those giant grandma's curio with little depth that can barely fit anything but takes up sooo much space.

gagaliya, that is one outstanding post man, it has given me some ideas to pursue!:goodpost:

WOW Gagaliya thanks for the amazing amount of info and effort. A great source of information. I will definatly be looking into the PAX when I make it to IKEA. I think there may be a size issue as I am going to have to display in my room for now and I may have room for the PAX but I don/t think the wife will agree. I was thinking the besta would be best as I will be accumulating statues slowly so even just three spots would take some time to fill then I could get anther.

Have said that I just read on the Batman pf thread that the Batman pf will not fit in a besta so that something to consider I thought the shelves were adjustable on a besta are they not?

Anyway thanks for all the info. Your display in the PAX looks great I would love to get one but we'll see it may be an option down the road.

WOW Gagaliya thanks for the amazing amount of info and effort. A great source of information. I will definatly be looking into the PAX when I make it to IKEA. I think there may be a size issue as I am going to have to display in my room for now and I may have room for the PAX but I don/t think the wife will agree. I was thinking the besta would be best as I will be accumulating statues slowly so even just three spots would take some time to fill then I could get anther.

Have said that I just read on the Batman pf thread that the Batman pf will not fit in a besta so that something to consider I thought the shelves were adjustable on a besta are they not?

Anyway thanks for all the info. Your display in the PAX looks great I would love to get one but we'll see it may be an option down the road.

They are adjustable but you have to keep in mind if you adjust it too much, your other shelves will become too small.

np guys, a more recent photo below. As you can see it's already packed to the brim, i am going to get another wider 80" pax next hopefully that will last me another year or two. The 22" shelf depth is really nice.

pax_201207.jpg

------------------

1) In the comparison photo, see the pax DWARFS the $1300 Macy's curio(which is a huge piece already, i use it as a dedicated lotr display now), and this is the smaller PAX...

2) Note how with the extra shelf depth i am able to display the riders facing front or to stack the conan/barbarian/leonidas, all are giant pieces which would taken significantly more precious shelf width in a regular 15" depth shelf. And it's the only shelf that fits optimus perfectly.

3) See next post for a quick guide to build your own as I did the research already, hopefully someone can benefit from it.

pax1.jpg

pax3.jpg

----------------

How to build your PAX (see previous post for photos)

1) Select the correct PAX base (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79894902/#/S19894900 ).

Use the drop down to select your width/height, you have 4 options: 59"x25"x79", 59"x25"x93", 78"x25"x79, 78"x25"x93". Do NOT select other options, as the internal shelf will be inappropriate, if you need even wider ones, buy 2x. And select your wood color.

2) Select the shelf (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30215122/ )

You need at least 3 pack (for 6 shelves), select the correct width/color. Dont use the glass shelves, they too risky.

3) Select the lighting(optional): (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50163848/ )

The best lighting for statue display are evenly distributed soft light in the 2000k to 5000k range, basically you shouldnt notice it's on. The WORST kind are those uneven glaring halogen spotlights used in most glass curios that destroy your statue aesthetic, they are great for glass plates & swaroski not giant polystone statues. Also LED is much preferred over the rest as it doesnt get hot and long lasting, having an oven above your statue for years is never a good thing.

That said, the ikea led strips linked are excellent, they are designed for PAX and fits across the entire shelf perfectly for even light distribution. Only downside is it's expensive at $35 per shelf. If you do decide to use the ikea led, you also need the wires that are not included, for 6x led strip, you need

-5x connector: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40119926/
-
1x powercord: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30121411/

4) Order your custom display panels. (link: https://www.professionalplastics.com/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYLICSHEET-EXTRUDED )

Wait until you receive your PAX, then take out 1 of its non-clear glass panel, measure the width/length/depth precisely. Then goto any one of the websites to order 6x clear acrylic panel of the exact same dimension (go with <0.062 tolerance which is the standard). I use professionalplastics.com, also checkout ebay or local stores. Dont get fancy, use standard clear acrylic or lexan.

Note: you can also use glass panels, however they are 2x as expensive due to shipping, weight twice as much, and less clear. The yellowing/scratch issue of acrylics are way overblown, i have kept acrylic fish tanks my whole life, never had any issues (and those have 300+ watts of simulated sunlight blasting at it 11 hrs a day).

5) Install your PAX!

Follow the instructions, make sure it's secured to the wall! Dont try to win the darwin award for getting crushed by your own display shelf, those things are very tall and ikea quality..

Here's a video that i found very helpful with installing the sliding doors. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUut6I6zNqI

6) POST YOUR PICTURES! :)

Big Bro. thanks for details ..... i m getting possesion of my new apartment soon so have to make plans for display cases .....btw its hard to find Ikea in India.. do they ship ??

Back