Alienware laptop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOE

3 Legged Kurgan
Reaction score
Any computer savvy dudes here help a bro out.

Im in search of a powerful laptop that can run diablo 3. I went to the comic con and tested the Alienware laptop and the rep said that the laptop can handle more than enough of diablo 3.

Anyone here use Alienware? Pros and cons?

If u have any other laptop recommendation, let's hear it. :hi5:

Alienware is great choice but some here might think its overboard. If you can afford it, why not. They say D3 doesn't use much graphic but man, my laptop is burning hot. I use a 17" laptop from HP with top graphic card with 2 gig vid memory. Solid state hard drive and i7 processor. But its so hot I've made a custom water bag to cool it outside, LOL. So I am not sure to recommend HP.

If you've got the cash, Alienware makes some solid laptops with those swanky bells and whistles, which is why some would consider it a luxury item. I used to own one of their desktops myself (the Aurora back in '05). Great customer service. I'm sure their laptops are better deals than their desktops. I wouldn't buy a desktop again (since I build my own now), but I've been insterested in their line of laptops for a while now.

If you're looking at Alienware's m17x (the 17" screen version), even the base model would run Diablo 3 with no issue at all with its Core i7 3610QM processor and Nvidia 660M graphics chip.

Some other noteworthy and comparable laptops I've been looking at lately:

Asus G75VW
Sager NP9170

^ The Sager, especially, I've been hearing good things about.

Last edited:
I'd avoid Alienware, overpriced plus I've heard from people that they have a lot of quality control issues, stuff breaks down more than it should and they don't do well trying to fix them.

Thanks for the input guys. Will definitely check out the sager.

I have an Alienware laptop. The m15x and I'm typing on it right now. I like it but it was overpriced. You have to pay big bucks to get one that will run your stuff on optimal settings and stuff. They are nice and great for games if you don't mind paying for it.

After having this laptop, I don't think I'd buy another Alienware. Not because it sucks or anything. It doesn't. But for the money I'd rather have a custom built PC to play games on and a normal laptop to do everything else with. You can build a custom PC for much less than a good Alienware. Since I built my custom PC, I've virtually stopped using this laptop for games and instead just use it as a regular laptop. Which is a waste of it's potential but I got my money out of it long ago.

If you want to game on a laptop and not a desktop, Alienware is a good choice. But be prepared to pay for it.

What you're paying for with the Alienware is the brand name, the illuminated casing, and the finish. ASUS gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

Laptops are disposal computers. If you want longevity or you aren't planning on taking it with you everywhere then I would go with a desktop.

this man is wise..... laptops are nothing but expensive depreciating lies

I have the alienware aurora desktop, a friend of mine has the alienware m15x. both are amazing, but my friend has had some running issues with his laptop and getting the proper BIOS settings. With my desktop i have never been happier with a computer.

my desktop set me back $2700 including a 24" HD Dell screen, playing diablo is a breeze, and being a graphic designer, works well with photoshop, illustrator and corel!

technically, its like purchasing a PC for Apple prices...

Laptops are disposal computers. If you want longevity or you aren't planning on taking it with you everywhere then I would go with a desktop.

Alienware laptops are actually some of the best on the market. One of the best cooling systems (if not the best) out there for laptops... and how they handle cooling is extremely important for these things.

Pros:
-Powerful
-Great cooling
-Looks nice
-Dell service is great... much better than "service" like Apple

Cons:
-Heavy as ____ depending on your specs
-Expensive, but there's haggling room with Dell so this can easily be offset if you're lucky and take the time

But you should only get it if you're on the move a lot and need something powerful (college, travel, whatever)... otherwise desktop it and get a cheap laptop.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of anti-Alienware. My brother bought one back in 2004 when he started school for Computer Animation. He decked it out with all the options for a 2004 computer and it ended costing over $4k total. When it arrived they didn't even have it ready to be hooked up. He had to wait an extra week for Alienware to ship him some special adapter for his video card just to hook it up to a monitor. It also crashed a lot, but that might be because of all the donkey videos he downloaded.

I bought an Alienware Mx18 R2 a few months ago and I love it. Super powerful and if runs Diablo like its a joke.

Before this I had an Asus G75 and the thing was a piece of junk. Right out of the box the system overheated while playing Wolfenstein and the game slowed to a crawl. The only way I was able to play it decently was to lower setting and have one of those powered laptop cooling things for it to sit on.

When I got my Alienware, I compared the vents and cooling and I am honestly shocked my Asus didn't catch on fire.

Back