Star Wars figures deserve multiple face sculpts!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but I think the topic needs attention by itself.

I really despise re-issues of previous figures because they re-use the same damn face sculpt. Examples include Mulder, Scully, numerous James Bond figures, etc...

I wasn't too impressed by the Pierce Brosnan sculpt. But I was really hoping they would improve the likeness if they ever released him again. But here we are, with the same sculpt, different outfit.

BUT, I would be all for a new figure if they re-do the face.

For instance, if they release Luke with a poncho, he better have a different expression and not the same sculpt. Ideally, the Poncho version will have a confident, determined look, so we can pose him in his Jedi outfit, ready to face Vader.

Please Sideshow, Star Wars figures deserve multiple face sculpts!

Seeing the re-use of face sculpts in other Sideshow lines worries me.

The thing about Luke is, his face changed from movie to movie. Part of that was the accident, but you can easily tell which Luke is from each movie. I don't think they can get away with that for Luke. And no offense to Mat, but I hope they don't use the same sculpt for any future Han's.

They could get away with it for some of the Lukes.

Luke's face and hair were identical throughout all of ANH (save for a few short moments when it was wet in the trash compactor.) They could get away with having Tatooine, Stormtrooper disguise, and X-Wing Luke all having the same headsculpt.

I'm guessing they'll do that since we didn't get a new sculpt for Sith Anakin.

What they really shouldn't do, as stated above, is have the same headsculpt from one movie to the next, but I can't imagine SS doing that.

Khev said:
They could get away with it for some of the Lukes.

Luke's face and hair were identical throughout all of ANH (save for a few short moments when it was wet in the trash compactor.) They could get away with having Tatooine, Stormtrooper disguise, and X-Wing Luke all having the same headsculpt.

I'm guessing they'll do that since we didn't get a new sculpt for Sith Anakin.

What they really shouldn't do, as stated above, is have the same headsculpt from one movie to the next, but I can't imagine SS doing that.

I wasn't thinking about 4 Lukes from the same movie :horror :google :google :horror , but yes they could use that sculpt for those.

But I suppose we can all agree that we need another good Luke sculpt for ROTJ. This time with a look of confidence.

Darth Loki said:
I wasn't thinking about 4 Lukes from the same movie :horror :google :google :horror ,
Oh yeah, I forgot the award ceremony. I guess there are four. But his hair should be more combed and he should be smiling for that one so I could see that one getting a separate sculpt from the other three ANH Lukes. :D

Bring 'em on. :chewbacca

I don't personally don't need another Luke with a different expression from ROTJ... I'm happy with the one I have. But if Sideshow decides to revisit him (ponchoed version, etc) I would hope that its a different sculpt, I don't like when a figure I have is rereleased later... kinda takes the shine off the one I have. Although my honest hope would be for an expansion pack with a rebel poncho, helmeted variant head and a chunk of a speederbike.

I don't think Anakin is a good guage for reuse of headsculpts, since he is primarily a show exclusive variant. I'm very confident that figures from different movies will have new sculpts... and pretty sure the same will be true for versions w/in the same movie.

Unless he gets zapped with force lightening, disfiguring his face, I don't care too much about multiple faces from the same movie. :google :emperor

JustinLuck said:
I wasn't too impressed by the Pierce Brosnan sculpt. But I was really hoping they would improve the likeness if they ever released him again. But here we are, with the same sculpt, different outfit.

The Brosnan likeness is spot-on. The ony way they could get it any closer would be to kidnap Pierce Brosnan and shrink him down.

I'm not generally a fan of re-hashed sculpts unless they're so good that no real improvement can be made, like human Spike from the Buffy line or the Brosnan Bond. If we get another ROTJ Luke or a Hoth Han Solo I would definitely want different sculpts because both can be improved upon.

https://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_010803b.htm

face.jpg

Am I crazy or is this Pierce Brosnan?

ObsoleteMan, I must admit that I have not seen the Brosnan sculpt in person. But from the pics provided on Sideshow's website, I do not see the likeness. I would love to see another pic of the sculpt, if you own the figure.

Pixletwin, for the most part, I agree with you. But when it comes to Luke in ROTJ, he really did have two major looks in the movie. The sculpt that we currently have fits with most of the Jabba scenes, when he revisits Degobah, and tells Leia that she is his sister.

But when he confronts the Emporer and Vader, his overall expression is very different and it is important in the story to see this change.

I will try to post some screen caps to show what I mean.

JustinLuck said:
....when he confronts the Emporer and Vader, his overall expression is very different and it is important in the story to see this change.
Thats interesting. Post those screen caps. :D

I actually (and perhaps ironically) associated the Luke sculpt with the scene in the Emperor's Throne Room where Luke is hiding from Vader and the look on his face when Vader says "sister... you have a twin sister" etc... At least that was my first impression on seeing the prototype pics in February.

Yes Pixletwin, he has that expression during that moment too. I will post some screen captures as soon as my computer decides to play nice. Looks like I might need a reformat.:monkey2

JustinLuck said:
I posted this in another thread, but I think the topic needs attention by itself.

I really despise re-issues of previous figures because they re-use the same damn face sculpt. Examples include Mulder, Scully, numerous James Bond figures, etc...

For instance, if they release Luke with a poncho, he better have a different expression and not the same sculpt. Ideally, the Poncho version will have a confident, determined look, so we can pose him in his Jedi outfit, ready to face Vader.

Please Sideshow, Star Wars figures deserve multiple face sculpts!

Seeing the re-use of face sculpts in other Sideshow lines worries me.

If there isn't another Han sculpt that would truly be a travesty...

Luke from each of the OT films should have a different headsculpt, natch.

But I really hope Sideshow doesn't give us an Endor Luke, at least not until everyone one else and their variant costumes are done. Maaaaybe as a Con xclusive, but another $50+ for a helmet and poncho? gimme a break.

An expansion set of poncho and helmeted Luke head would be intresting, but wouldn't really work as SS didn't design Luke's head to pop off.

As for other characters, such as Palpatine, an addtional head sculpt/expression would be nice - I wish they'd just done that for Ani/Vaderkin and threw in the other Sith head as the xclusive instead of the lame gummi Sidious.

pjam said:
If there isn't another Han sculpt that would truly be a travesty...
Do you mean if (for example) Sideshow made a Hoth Han Solo, that we would need another head sculpt?

pixletwin said:
Do you mean if (for example) Sideshow made a Hoth Han Solo, that we would need another head sculpt?

Ahhh.... hmm, duude, seriously? Don't know really how to put this so I'll just chill until we see the Han repaint/face, eyes, eyebrow, chin and cheek reconfigure thread in a few weeks.

Let me just say this, PLEASE let Andy B do the next Han HS. Cool? :cool:

I would certainly prefer that. Han is my favorite character in ESB. So I definitely wish for a good looking Han that can represent his character from the ESB movie.

This first try from Sideshow unfortunately comes no where close. :monkey2

Infact, ESB by far my favorite Star Wars movie and it is mainly because of four character interactions:

- C-3PO and R2-D2

- Han, Leia, C-3PO, and Chewie

- Luke and Yoda

- Luke and Vader

Ford's character, Han Solo, is one of the main reasons why Star Wars is so popular today, 30 years later. He must be done right!

Back