Detolf backdrops (images to go behind figures)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXJonoXx

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my first Detolf and installed Dioder lights. I really love it, but I think it looks a little weird with the back glass being clear, and the white wall behind it is extra boring.

I want to create some background images for the rear glass, and tape them either to the inside or outside of the glass to make it seem more like a diorama and less like a boring wall, obviously changing it up for each level.

Anyone have any tips for good images to use, or if putting the images on the inside or outside look better?

My current themes for shelves are:

Top: 89 Batman and Ledger Joker
2nd: Jack Sparrow DX
3rd: RE Alice and SP Babydoll
4th: 1:18 Hot Wheels 89 Batmobile (I don't have any more hot toys yet)

Any tips for cool back drops would be greatly appreciated :)

Good idea, I have been wanting to put something in the back of mine for some time now, mainly due to me getting lights installed and wanting to hide the wires, I was actually going to get the glassed mirrored, which isn't a cheap process, but putting pictures in the back seems a better alternative. Just use your imagination, search on google for scenes from movies, this might be a good place to start for ideas of what to place behind your figures. Hope this helps and be sure to put some pictures up when complete, be cool to get some inspiration myself :)

My 1st Detolf ....

Top- Venom Comiquette with Venom #1 graded 9.8 CGC
2nd- Punisher Comiquette with framed art print
Bottom- Bowen Deadpool with New Mutants #98 1st appearance graded 9.4

Same thing I have been after for a few years. I would love to get some printed backgrounds relevant to each shelf - A hi-rez jungle screen from Predators for the predators figures etc.
That turned out to be rather expensive for my taste (feebay where charging near £20 for a single shelf). I did try a website (lost it now) that was able to split any image into printable A4 pages. Turned out OK but my printer was entry level at best.
Need a new printer but such on what to get.

then I looked at comics, fish tank drops, posters, huge black bed-sheet. I just would never settle. The idea of a relevant background is to appealing.

Sorry if I am no help, if anything I want to be tagged so if anyone else has other ideas I can try myself.

I'm sure there is... But are there printers that can print high quality images on oversized material? Like posterboard? Hmm

Funny you asked this . I am planning on a back drop for my 89 Joker this week , if all goes well then i could possible offer these for fellow Freaks .

I want to print the backround on thick carded material and i have a great idea for attaching them to the Detolf and removing very easily . Keep you posted

Yeah if anyone finds or has any good pics for back grounds that would be great I have four detolfs with lighting I placed black felt on the back to hide my wires and give it a better look and feel here is the YouTube link check it Ikea Detolf setup for collectibles or under my YouTube channel and search for video channel name gothelife24...

I have been wanting to do something like this as well. I need some ideas because I'm just not that creative, lol.

Great idea! I'm working on a 1:1 Yoda to go in my Detolf and it would be great if I could display him against a Dagobah-backdrop or something. Just no idea where to find such a pic...

I bought some craft paper at Michaels and did something super simple for now, and it's better than the plain wall behind the figures. It also causes a minor reflection in the glass, so you can see the rear of the figure from the front.

Here are my crappy pics with only Detolf lighting and iPad as a camera:

Yellow craft paper with the Bat-signal from the DX 89 Batman:
img_03212yxip.jpg

I think I am gonna make the background for Jack blue so that it look like sky/sea, and so the pirate flag from the DX figure will stand out better:
img_03221oboy.jpg

Couldn't really find anything to theme for this shelf since these are not DX figures, so I printed my favorite picture of each character out.. better than nothing
img_03239iz0c.jpg

Keep any ideas coming, I hope to see some great stuff!

Like the input we have going everyone. Thanks from me :).

I like the idea of cut to fit black felt as do I like some simple coloured sheets of card. I'd just be constantly changing the colour sheets as some characters like Jack Sparrow would be a hard fit. Blue for the sea, green for land, white/red for sails....:(.

Think I personally may try for atleast 1 case (I have 4) to get a cut to fit sheet of felt , unsure about the shelves themselves as that would block the light gained from upper strips.
Then at the centre of each backing just above head hight cut out logos relevant to the characters displayed. A silver Batman symbol for my Joker and Batman, A few controllers for the game characters, or even just the official movie logos.

No doubt though that I will never be satisfied and will continue to try different ideas. I have a wild imagination that will always say "well batman could have a city scape behind him, or the Batcave, or as he is with Joker a street with the bike in the image". Then it will move onto things like a dio of all the above, or maybe a small official poster print, maybe an autograph, a simple artsy outline sketch .......I could go on and on and on. Delusions of grandeur.

Just need to find somewhere in this dead end town that will sell a cut bolt of felt and not at the cost of a new case. Would not trust my arthritic hands to cut straight nor my memory to get the measurements right.

Keep em coming ladies and gents, hopefully an idea will stick and be a perfect fit for me..... you can help others but this is now my thread. Mwhahahaha

I've made various backdrops over the years. Always fun to do. Another alternative that I've done with my current setup is to cut, or get cut, some mirrored acrylic to fit in the back of the detolf. You can just slide it in then, and if you are using dioder leds you can run the wiring behind the backing.

I've made various backdrops over the years. Always fun to do. Another alternative that I've done with my current setup is to cut, or get cut, some mirrored acrylic to fit in the back of the detolf. You can just slide it in then, and if you are using dioder leds you can run the wiring behind the backing.

Wanted to do that under shelfs and around my lights to get more reflected and angled lighting. To fiddly for my arthritic hands, that and I could not stand seeing myself reflected in the case.

What size is it from the second shelf up to the top of the detolf? I'm thinking of getting a few detolfs to display my 1/4's but they'll only fit with all but the middle shelf out.

What size is it from the second shelf up to the top of the detolf? I'm thinking of getting a few detolfs to display my 1/4's but they'll only fit with all but the middle shelf out.

There would be 15 inches of space between the first shelf and the ceiling of the Detolf

From the second shelf down to the ceiling is 30.5 inches

i like using mirror car tint. Works AMAZING (just like a mirror) so u can see the back of the figures

what are the measurement's for a perfect fit backdrop to sit behind the figure's in the Detolf?

Did you ever find this information just got me a Detolf and was wanting to do some backdrops ??? Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Back