How do companies such as Hot Toys produce such amazing head sculpts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TotalDominAsian

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been part of the 1/6 community strictly as a consumer, and it always amazes me how lifelike these headsculpts can turn out. A large portion of that revolves around the sculpt itself which I understand to be painstakingly handcrafted from clay before getting used to create a mold for mass production. It's the other part of the creation process that leaves me clueless. How are they able to create such consistently detailed paint applications for mass production? I understand great custom creators like Rainman probably do everything by hand. But how is the process done by companies such as Hot Toys where productions can easily now number in the thousands? Are these still painted in by hand? For Hot Toys at least, all of their products seem to have their paint credited to JC Hong. Obviously this guy isn't forced to hand paint everything, so how is it done?

1163694707_ef2c2b16b6copy.jpg

I've been part of the 1/6 community strictly as a consumer, and it always amazes me how lifelike these headsculpts can turn out. A large portion of that revolves around the sculpt itself which I understand to be painstakingly handcrafted from clay before getting used to create a mold for mass production. It's the other part of the creation process that leaves me clueless. How are they able to create such consistently detailed paint applications for mass production? I understand great custom creators like Rainman probably do everything by hand. But how is the process done by companies such as Hot Toys where productions can easily now number in the thousands? Are these still painted in by hand? For Hot Toys at least, all of their products seem to have their paint credited to JC Hong. Obviously this guy isn't forced to hand paint everything, so how is it done?

Or maybe he is...

surprisedgopher.gif

All these nominal replies mean "I don't know either."

Whatever the process is, I've been unable to match it with several experimental methods, on flesh coloured resin casts. It's a b itch! Seems incredibly thin, like a single spray coat, but of what and how, I dunno either. Wish I did.
So, ultimately, my response is about as useful as these others. Sorry!

It is amazing what they do in mass production but from the looks of that picture it seems the maybe that the base head color is automated and the hair, then they hand paint fine details one at a time. This would help to explain the time frame from teaser pic release to actual release on average being 6 to 8 months. Its why they are the best!!!

This would also explain issues like the captain america heads with the crooked "A"

I look at my figures now and I can't see it as being painted or something I could chip or wipe off - it looks instead almost like it's coloured plastic or something (not that that's what I think it is). The only exception being the eyes, with their gloss. I can look at the eyes and believe they're painted.

With the exception of the eyes, all the other paint looks like it's under a layer of something else, and the whole thing, even the parts that aren't painted, look like they've been received the same treatment. I'm curious as to what people think they're doing there or what pictures suggest. Is it all just being done with brushes or are parts airbrushed? And what sort of paint?

I don't think the paint looks so absolutely great though. It certainly finely detailed and all but it's looks strangely flat, it's still obvious you're just looking at a painted toy - there's definitely room to make it look more lively and like real flesh.

How it's done though, I would guess it's all just done on a production line like a lot of things but unlike a lot of things there's a real focus on detail in small areas, and it's done in layers. So they'd do the skin, maybe in steps. Then the hair. Then lips, etc. The people that do it are probably trained and it's like paint-by-numbers - the exact colour pre-set, the exact area pre-mixed, etc - but they possess a brain and understanding of what they're doing, they've been painting in a factory for many years and they're gotten better and better, and someone watches them to make sure they don't get sloppy.

Last edited:
I look at my figures now and I can't see it as being painted or something I could chip or wipe off - it looks instead almost like it's coloured plastic or something (not that that's what I think it is).

If it's the same flesh process Headplay use (looks to be) then it does wipe off, with acetone. What comes off onto the cloth is a dark thin stain, and what it leaves behind is very slightly translucent buff PVC, that looks plastic.
I've tried putting it back (reverse engineering) and it doesn't work! Just looks flat, and unfleshy. They must have a fiendish paint application system that gives the flesh effect. Bast***s.

Back