Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballder

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I didn't want to open a new post, but this is in the new WETA e-mail:
"Over the last 10 years we've had the great pleasure of re-creating miniatures from the sets and scenes of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

We are thrilled so may fans have supported us by buying these art pieces for their private collections. We launched our initial range between 2001-2006; Weathertop, Amon Hen, Bucklebury Ferry, Orthanc, The Mines of Moria, The Stone Trolls, The Golden Hall and Helm's Deep.

The popularity of these pieces, gave us the confidence to more recently take on greater challenges and more complex pieces such as The Argonath, The Prancing Pony, Bag End, Rivendell and the just released new Orthanc - Black Tower of Isengard.

However there has always been one environment beyond our reach, one environment we avoided due to it's incredible complexity, one environment so dark, so evil, it threw shadows over the work bench. Too intricate, too evil.

The team at Weta Workshop created the original miniature at a towering 7.5 meters. A staggering sight, which has since been displayed in exhibitions around the world. One of the greatest physical models made in movie history. But could it be re-created in miniature form, while still retaining all of it's complexity? Surely not, impossible, right?

Seasons have passed... and the challenge has gnawed away at our insides. It continues to call out to us... mocking us... I See You...

The beating of the drums has grown louder and louder. Our friends on The Shadow and Flame collectors forum are baying for new environment blood.

And so, finally, it is time... time to banish our fears ... time to conquer a model maker's Mount Everest. It is time for... Barad-dûr - Fortress of Sauron.

So join us, over the next few months, as Weta Workshop's David Tremont explains, step by step "his scariest challenge yet".

A year in the making .... the union between The Two Towers is complete".

Wonder when it will pre-order? Curious to know if it's ready or if the step-by-step explanation will be a look into the process.

That's a good question. I'd love if it was ready by Comic-Con but I'd say its gonna be a bit but this is gonna be damn cool.

That would make the most sense to me. Hopefully they will have something at comic-con talking or showing something about it.

This is the one... my "Balrog of Environments" :ogat

Just right to prevent spending 800 for a black towel on pony :nana:

Man, lots of LOTR love right now, its great :yess::yess::yess::yess:

That about sum's up this awsome week for lotr weta and sideshow collectors! :duff
Man, I wonder how big it's gonna be?
Are we thinking Danbury sculpt height?:dunno
:ogat:ogat:ogat

The DM version is smaller than the new Weta Orthanc.
And Barad-Dur will definately be higher than that.

I'll bet we see at least the prototype in all it's glory at ComiCon. In same e-mail, Weta featured a link to a Q&A with model-maker Dave Tremont, who worked on this (along with many other of the LOTR enviros) and he noted that the prototype took 34 weeks(!) to build. Which he couldn't know if the proto wasn't already done.

Here's the Q&A. (Check out question #36.)

Seriously can't wait for this. I'm guessing it'll be at least six or eight inches taller than the new Orthanc. It took eight weeks longer to put together than the hugely complicated (and hugely huge) Rivendell enviro. This thing is going to be epic. :thud::pray::yess:

I hope it dosent end up looking like this:

973338217_d104b71196.jpg

Back