DC Animated The Dark Knight Returns

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamandi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Peter Weller cast in "The Dark Knight Returns"

:thud: All I can say is -- Perfection.

Source: https://spinoff.comicbookresources....voice-batman-in-animated-dark-knight-returns/

RoboCop star Peter Weller provide the voice of Batman in Warner Bros.’ animated adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, the seminal 1986 miniseries by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson, Heat Vision reports. Ariel Winter (Modern Family) will play Robin.

First rumored about a year ago, and then officially announced in July at Comic-Con International, the direct-to-video adaptation will be released in two parts under the DC Comics Premiere Movie banner, which apparently will replaced the five-year-old DC Universe Animated Original Movies. Batman: The Dark Knight Rises, Part 1 will debut in the fall, with Part 2 arriving in early 2013.

Weller and Winter will be joined by veteran actor David Selby (Dark Shadows), Wade Williams (Prison Break) as Two-Face/Harvey Dent, and Michael McKean as Dr. Wolper, the psychiatrist who releases the Joker from the asylum.

The films are directed by Jay Oliva, who not only storyboarded Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, but also helmed Green Lantern: Emerald Knights and several episodes of Cartoon Network’s Young Justice. Oliva also has in his corner exectuive producer Bruce Timm, who has overseen most of DC’s animated projects since Batman: The Animated Series.

“Dark Knight Returns is the granddaddy of beloved comics properties that we’ve ever attempted [to adapt],” Timm said. “There is definitely the imperative to get it right.”

Set a decade after an aging Bruce Wayne quit crimefighting in the wake of Jason Todd’s death, The Dark Knight Returns brings Batman out of retirement to save Gotham from sinking deeper into decay and lawlessness. With the help of a new, female Robin, Carrie Kelly, the Dark Knight ends the threat of the mutant gangs that have overrun the city and confronts two of his greatest enemies. But then he must face his former ally Superman in a battle that only one will survive.

Re: Peter Weller cast in "The Dark Knight Returns"

I gotta admit that the DC Animated films that are extremely faithful to the source material don't do much for me. Batman: Year One provided me with nothing that I had already experienced. I get trying to expose folks who haven't already seen that stuff to these cartoons, but the ones that take liberties like Superman/Doomsday were a lot more rewarding to me.

I think this is actually a step backwards. Made worse when considered that Weller's pretty much a 1-dimensional actor. Would've preferred Kevin Conroy. :monkey1

I agree with that. He is the best non-comic-media Batman there is, hands down. Suck it Bale and Keaton.

Weller's got a good voice for this. I'm fine with it. After Bruce Campbell and that dude from The OC, Weller is good news.

Oh, and waaah waaah no Kevin Conroy waaah waaaaaah.

Oh, and waaah waaah no Kevin Conroy waaah waaaaaah.

AnimatedSeries1.jpg

No my avatar is a disgrace enough all on its own.

:lol I like Conroy as much as anybody, but give the guy a break from Batman. You know he'll be back for more soon anyway. He should do some other roles.

Wellershould be good as the old, beaten down Batman.

I like Conroy as Bats, but not for this, actually. Willing to give Weller the benefit of the doubt here. My friend is actually scoring the music for this one as well, and I'm hearing VERY positive things about it.

Good News! However, in the animated realm, I cannot imagine anyone else other than Conroy as Batman and Hamill as Joker. Still, since TDKR portrays a 50+ Bats, maybe Weller's voice would sound 'better' :dunno

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvEtzqdgiE&feature=fvst[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdA9kIOQCU[/ame]

I think this is actually a step backwards. Made worse when considered that Weller's pretty much a 1-dimensional actor. Would've preferred Kevin Conroy. :monkey1

Who wouldn't prefer Kevn Conroy? He's the mother ____ing BATMAN!

I like Year One, but the voice of Wayne/Bats pissed me off a tiny bit.

Conroy did the voice of an older Wayne in Batman Beyond, and I thought it was great. It wasn't really any different than his regular Batman voice as I recall, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference to me.

I'm fine with other guys doing Batman's voice, honestly, but Conroy IS Batman's voice to me now, so I can't imagine anyone doing a better job of it. For this specific film, I think it's OK because he's a grittier Batman than the B:TAS version.

Wow, this is different. I would have never thought of Weller. I can dig it.

Years ago in college I wrote a paper on entertainment during the Reagan years. The prominent subjects that I included of course was The Dark Knight Returns and Robocop with their satire and statement of life in the late 80s.

So Robocop is voicing Batman, who would have thought? Looking forward to it.

Glad it's not Conroy and I hope Timm stays the ____ outta the art room.

Why you little maggot, you make me want to vomit. You god damn communist heathen you best sound off that you love Batman: The Animated Series or I'm going to stomp your guts out.

Now you do love Batman: The Animated Series don't you?

Ironically the only episode I remember liking is the The Dark Knight Returns episode. I even like Conroy as Batman. I just could never get behind Timm's art style. ____ing hate it.

Back