"The Dark Knight" 2008 !!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Batman Movie "The Dark Knight" Announced

:rock :rock :rock

The official press release:

CHRISTOPHER NOLAN TO DIRECT WARNER BROS. PICTURES’ UPCOMING BATMAN MOVIE, THE DARK KNIGHT CHRISTIAN BALE REPRISES TITLE CHARACTER, HEATH LEDGER JOINS CAST AS THE JOKER

BURBANK, CA, 31 July 2006 – As a follow up to last year’s blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures’ The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick’s The New World. His other credits include Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho, Laurel Canyon and Steven Spielberg’s Empire of the Sun, which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster’s Ball, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

“Chris’ unique vision is what made Batman Begins such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight,” said Robinov. “We also can’t wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker.”

“I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins,” added Nolan. “Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale’s Batman is going to be incredible.”

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

Nolan and Ledger are represented by CAA.

Sounds great. With Nolan behind it, and Bale back as the bat, I have lots of faith and can't wait to see what they do with it.

Re: Batman Sequel "The Dark Knight" Announced

Thanks for the news, pjam! The first thing I thought of was a new HT Dark Knight figure. :lol

Batty said:
Thanks for the news, pjam! The first thing I thought of was a new HT Dark Knight figure. :lol

There'll be one of those too Batty! This was posted literally a couple minutes after it appeared in the trades so SSF would get it fresh off the wire!

I know W-G, but Heath can pull it off, my only reservation was with his gravely voice and how it may come off. I assume the Studio and Chris did a bunch of screen tests with the kind of Joker character they wanted to portray before committing and were happy.

Let's face it that dude can act. Glover was tested I know but he lacks depth.. it was Nolan's decision and he was pitch perfect with casting "Begins" except for Holmes and who knew how she got that gig, prolly politics so I'm confident Nolan and Goyer are happy...

Last edited:
Not sure about Heath as Joker. I'll wait to see him in action before I judge though. Two years away still? :monkey4

I'm just glad it isn't Robin Williams. I know he's a good actor and all, but I could never see him as the Joker.

I'm psyched about Heath! I think it is such a brave and interesting choice and the man has proven he can act. Can't wait to see him in action!

And i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the title. I was praying for "Batman: The Dark Knight" thinking that was the best the studio would offer... i think the fact that they are so dedicated to these films being as good as they can be is really shown by the fact that they are ready to drop "Batman" from the title. "The Dark Knight" is the perfect title!!! And perhaps in the third sequal, we will get "The Dark Knight Returns"

Now all we need to know is who is playing Harvey Dent and Penguin!!!

Robin Williams is too old. He could have been a good Joker years ago. I think Johnny Depp or Adrian Brody could have also been good Jokers. Any word on the rumored Harvey Dent to set up Two-Face in Bats 3?

Buttmunch said:
Robin Williams is too old. He could have been a good Joker years ago. I think Johnny Depp or Adrian Brody could have also been good Jokers. Any word on the rumored Harvey Dent to set up Two-Face in Bats 3?

Lots of RUMORS about Harvey.. but seeing as how the rumors panned out for Joker (people believed it was basically down to Lachey Hulme and Paul Bettany, with Robin Williams, Adrien Brody and Cripsin Glover dark horse fan favorites... when in reality, Nolan had been talking to Ledger for months and never considered anyone else), I'm not going to take much stock in them.

The rumors (or fan favorties) are: Liev Schriber, Guy Pearce, Hugo Weaving or Hugh Jackman (even though he just worked with Nolan, the chance the Wolverine woudl appear in a DC film as the villain is unlikely). Nothing substantial about any of the choices in terms of feasiblity.

The Penguin however is slightly different. Reliable sources (the same that were saying Ledger had the part weeks ago) have claimed that Nolan and Co. DID listen to fan requets, and offered the part to Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Hoffman has yet to accept the offer as far as anyone knows. In the film, the Penguin is rumored to be an English arms dealer.

Hoffman would be a good Penguin, but I don't think anyone can top Danny DeVito. He was born for that role! Hugo Weaving could be a good Dent, as could Jackman but that is unlikely for the reason you already stated. Is it confirmed that Penguin will be in Dark Knight? Or will he be in Bats 3? Any word on Scarecrow returning? I doubt Ra's will be coming back, but who knows?

Buttmunch said:
Hoffman would be a good Penguin, but I don't think anyone can top Danny DeVito. He was born for that role! Hugo Weaving could be a good Dent, as could Jackman but that is unlikely for the reason you already stated. Is it confirmed that Penguin will be in Dark Knight? Or will he be in Bats 3? Any word on Scarecrow returning? I doubt Ra's will be coming back, but who knows?

It is rumored that the two villains in the sequel will be Joker and Penguin, with Joker and Harvey being the villains in the third (and i'm sure there will be other villains involved as well). No word on whether or not Scarecros is returning, though I would assume he does in some way. Another (less substantial) rumor is that Talia Al Ghul will be featured in the sequels somehow. I dont know that I like that idea, but we'll see. In Nolan We Trust!

pjam said:
There'll be one of those too Batty! This was posted literally a couple minutes after it appeared in the trades so SSF would get it fresh off the wire!

I know W-G, but Heath can pull it off, my only reservation was with his gravely voice and how it may come off. I assume the Studio and Chris did a bunch of screen tests with the kind of Joker character they wanted to portray before committing and were happy.

Let's face it that dude can act. Glover was tested I know but he lacks depth.. it was Nolan's decision and he was pitch perfect with casting "Begins" except for Holmes and who knew how she got that gig, prolly politics so I'm confident Nolan and Goyer are happy...

Glover is interesting. I never would have come up with that, but I can see why he was considered.

I'm sure Heath was approved for other reasons than him being a "perfect" fit for the character.

Wor-Gar said:
Glover is interesting. I never would have come up with that, but I can see why he was considered.

I'm sure Heath was approved for other reasons than him being a "perfect" fit for the character.
I mentioned this in another thread, but I was able to talk to Crispen Glover a few months ago and he was considered to play the Joker(like pjam said). Of course he wouldn't confirm anything at the time. I would have liked to have seen him in the role.

I think Ledger is a fine choice...I didn't think Bale would make a good Batman and he turned out to be great. So I'am 100% cool with the choice of Ledger for Joker.

Harlequin!:lol Love to see Nolans take on that beuty of a character.

Go the animated series! They hit gold with her:rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back