Cameron will only make AVATAR movies from here on out

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Boo!!! As if I needed another reason to resent that film...

“Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it. I’m making Avatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4.”

More here: https://collider.com/james-cameron-avatar-2-3-4/164371/

Seriously, that sucks. Dude was one of the greats but basically stopped making cool movies after TRUE LIES. That was 18 years ago!

What a waste of talent. Now he's apparently hell bent on joining Lucas in the looney bin. His legacy will be of box office records and a baffling diversion into pure pap during the peak of his career.

No, I made a thread about one of the most notable filmmakers of our time making an announcement that other than this one new franchise he's basically out of the movie business completely. That's significant enough for its own thread.

Well Its not like he's gone from directing lots of films recently to directing few.

His last film was Avatar in 2009 and before that a 12 year gap with Titanic in 1997. With that in mind nothing has really changed for him, his Pace is around the same :dunno

It's not about pace. He's now saying he'll never make another movie that isn't an AVATAR movie. Like I said, that's pretty significant, especially for those who've been waiting on BATTLE ANGEL and other projects he's had in the planning stages for years that have all now apparently been scuttled.

I never saw Avatar, never had any interest.

And as disappointing as this is in terms of other Cameron movies, I'm almost willing to let this slide. Mostly because these are guaranteed to make Cameron billions more. And Cameron is one of the rare rich people who seem to do exclusively awesome things with their money.

Hell, by Avatar 5, he might have colonized the moon.

Meh. There's plenty of great film makers out there, most of his best work was decades ago anyway, so :dunno

Besides that, why not focus his best efforts where his heart is at?

Meh. There's plenty of great film makers out there, most of his best work was decades ago anyway, so :dunno

Besides that, why not focus his best efforts where his heart is at?

All true, but it's still disappointing to see him officially go the way of Lucas.

I mean, this is the dude (as we all know) that made the good Terminator films, Aliens, and The Abyss. Even True Lies is a more fun, honest film than what he'll have done in his career afterward. A shame.

Yeah, disappointing news.

That being said I did think Avatar had some stunning visuals, though I found the movie to be quite average. I look forward to what he can achieve on a technical level in the sequels, and hopefully that has a positive impact on the industry in general.

How much mileage is he expecting to get out of Avatar? It was a great film but 2 more films at most.

I too would hope he will turn his attention to other films when thats done.

I won't go that far, yet.

Lucas is a league of kookoo all his own.

:lol Well, yeah... He's not quite there with Lucas on the bat____ craziness, but he's well on his way down that road.

I was more referring to the notion that he's all but retired except for a single type of movie/franchise and that he seems to care about box office and showcasing technology and little else.

Sounds to me like he knows what he wants to do and he's doing it.

" I’m not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the Avatar landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can’t say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I’m continuing.”

Good for him I say. I'd rather he did this than spew out crap just because his fans want him to attempt other things. I think he'll change his mind anyway though , definitely before Avatar 4. :rotfl

I want to point out that documentaries are always a good thing. I'm glad he's at least still doing those.

Back