Starz's Black Sails

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Something Sexy

Super Freak
Reaction score
"Transformers" director Michael bay is coming to TV.

The divisive helmer has signed a deal with Starz to executive produce a pirate series tentatively titled "Black Sails."

The cable network has ordered eight episodes of the drama which are expected to air in 2014. The series will focus on Captain Flint and his men (including a young John Silver), and take place two decades before the events depicted in Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic novel “Treasure Island.”

“Starz is excited to be working with a visionary like Michael,’” said Starz CEO Albrecht in a press release. “Along with the high-octane action that is a hallmark of a Michael Bay production, it has the elements that Starz originals are striving to bring to the premium landscape: epic, larger than life, cinematic storytelling. The series is also a property we believe will appeal to the global content marketplace with broadcasters around the world.”

"I'm excited to branch out into television," added Bay, "especially doing a long-form series for STARZ, a network known for supporting cutting edge programming."

Starz is home to such series as the "Spartacus" franchise and "Magic City"

https://www.hitfix.com/articles/michael-bay-to-exec-produce-starz-pirate-series-black-sails

Last edited:
I've been saying we needed a tv show about pirates for some time, unfortunately I don't get starz.

I love PIRATES!
I read that at the SDCC Black Sails panel they showed the first episode and it was really good. I'm looking forward to this and Crossbones.

Starz's pirate drama 'Black Sails' launches at Comic-Con with fan screening
SAN DIEGO - "Black Sails" cast out into the open waters of Comic-Con.Starz isn't premiering the mature pirate drama until next year, but the first episode was screened for hundreds of fans — some dressed in pirate regalia — at a movie theatre Thursday night during the pop-culture convention."Black Sails" cast members Zach McGowan, Jessica Parker Kennedy, Mark Ryan and Hakeem Kae-Kazim were on hand for the preview, which marked the first time for them to see the inaugural installment, too."I thought it sucked," joked McGowan, who plays ruthless Captain Vane. "No, it was awesome. It was really great to see it with everyone for the first time."Before the screening at San Diego's Reading Cinemas, composer Bear McCreary and a band performed musical selections from the series.With sweeping cinematography and gritty violence, the first episode centred on Toby Stephen's beleaguered Captain Flint as he sought to maintain control of his ship, the Walrus, and seek out a Spanish treasure fleet."Black Sails" creators Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine said they want their take on the pirate genre to be as realistic as possible. This is not "The Pirates of the Caribbean: The Show.""The hope was to suck the truth out of everything we know that happened and turn it into something that felt real," said Steinberg. "What became clear to us very quickly is a pirate ship is the exact opposite of what you think it is. It's a mob. There's no adventure to being a guy who has to figure out how to corral a mob."

There's a few pics of the ship at SDCC, some cast and fans.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...2CSNbltrSOlOk29pA&sig2=SOF5z1ol69JGsXZhYwRjbw

Last edited:
They've been playing alot of new previews for this on Encore but I can't find them online or youtube. One that shows off a young John Silver as well. Show looks fantastic I can't wait, just hope theres enough of it taking place on the seas and not all on the island.

:lol yea so did encore. With one of the same quick ones in between each character's so it was actually like 6 in a row.

Man, I just watched the first episode and it was fairly amazing. The language was a little anachronistic but that's a minor complaint. Flint's crew are terrifying in the opening scene, I'm really looking forward to this show delving more into the mythology of Treasure Island as it goes on.

First episode is fantastic. Definately found a new show to watch.

It's got the right amount of action, intrigue, and adventure. It's quality and filmed well. As well as any other TV show I've seen. Definately does not feel like Michael Bay had any hand in it. Captain Flint and his crew felt authentic as did Nassua. They did a good job casting Flint and Silver as fairly likable right off the bat, and Charles Vane seems like he'll also play an interesting role. The plot is already drawing me in and relating back to Treasure Island. Well done all around. I'll definately be figuring out a way to add Starz and this into my lineup somehow.

My only minor complaint is all the pirates had perfect teeth. :lol Honestly was the only thing I thought stood out as complaint worthy.

8/10

The first episode is free on Amazon right now. CHeck it out if you are into this stuff, you will not regret it. And make sure you watch it on Amazon and not Youtube, otherwise you won't get it uncensored.

Seen all the épisodes.
So far its cool but its mostly soap for now.
Everybody ploting and conspiring on the Island.
Cool actors, Nice production design when you dont spend your Time spoting the cgi.
So far so good.

Back