Modding the Iron Man 2 Arc from sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroenen77

Super Freak
Reaction score
After seeing some pics and mods in the net,I bought my own Iron Man 2 Arc Reactor from sideshow/museums replicas for a very good price.

First,when you open the box it schocks you...hehe..what is it?A bedside lamp?A Mini-Batsignal..no..not with a triangle on it.:gah:

BUT...under the wrong milky glass on the top there is something usable.

Ok,first you must open the arc with 3 screws.Than you see this(my trianglepart is painted on the pics..your is wrong black in the middle):

The curved clean glass is waste...the original has flat glass and its absolute clean.Not this cheap cloudy chinaplastic.

Look on the reflections of the original prop:

Now you need to paint the triangle part.I used Acrylicpaint "Iron" and I used a brush.If you brush with the lines,it looks like satin stainless steel.Thats a lot better as sprayed..but that is my own taste.

Let it dry over night and cut a new glass.I used the package of my RAM for that.Its easyer with nail scissors,because its a curved line.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After that build all together in the right order:

1.)White milky glass on the LEDS
2.)Painted trianglepart on the milky glass
3.)New flat glass on the triangle.

You are ready now..I think a great arc:

Original and modded one:

Before modding:

After modding:

Thanks for reading..hope you like my little tutorial.:wink1:

Last edited:
Thats great, you should find a way to mod (without risking any damage) to the Iron man figure, the eyes and arc seem like they could use some tweaking. The chest light is way too bright and the eyes seem to have uneven lighting, in the movie almost having a bluish edge. I was thinking about seeing what I could do, especially for the chest, I like to have it on but it really overpowers the other lights.

I did this with mine although kept the clear plastic actually looks quite good with the mod. Nice guide :)

Thats great, you should find a way to mod (without risking any damage) to the Iron man figure, the eyes and arc seem like they could use some tweaking. The chest light is way too bright and the eyes seem to have uneven lighting, in the movie almost having a bluish edge. I was thinking about seeing what I could do, especially for the chest, I like to have it on but it really overpowers the other lights.

I have no Ironman figure..so I cannot say something about that,sorry.

It would be better to polish or chrome it.Because painting the hole thing looks not really realitic.But for me its ok first.:wink1:

So...mod is finished now...painted the whole thing new,added little screws in the top cover and builded the light area on the sides:

Last edited:
Thanks guys...:)

@Xerowolf:What do you think when you say "wearable"?

..from the front you see the great blue effekt only in the middle around the triangle...but the middle is white like the original in the movie:

Last edited:
When you detach it off the stand is there any way to light it up and wear it under or in a tshirt like in the movie?

If so I will be buying one and doing this mod.

Ah,I understand...but no,it is only a displaypiece and really heavy.
But I´m sure you can build some straps in the back and wear it under a t-shirt...but for me that is not important.:wink1:

Ah,I understand...but no,it is only a displaypiece and really heavy.
But I´m sure you can build some straps in the back and wear it under a t-shirt...but for me that is not important.:wink1:

Hi, are you able to post some pics on the inside where you added new screws?
I am also trying to mod mine.
Thanks

Hi...oh,sorry I´m late...but the screws are only drilled in the cover.A clockmaker did this for me.

I updated the complete arc again...I sanded all color from the aluminium parts,polished it and added the correct green color in the arc.The real arcs are green not blue behind the inside parts.The blue is only from the image editing of the film.

Ok,here is my icecold fullmetal arc...:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here a pic from the original arcs where you can see the green color:

Hi...oh,sorry I´m late...but the screws are only drilled in the cover.A clockmaker did this for me.

I updated the complete arc again...I sanded all color from the aluminium parts,polished it and added the correct green color in the arc.The real arcs are green not blue behind the inside parts.The blue is only from the image editing of the film.

Ok,here is my icecold fullmetal arc...:

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/815/dscn3035.jpg/

Dude, you did a fantastic job on this one! :clap
Man you made me want to redo mine.
I bought those spray can and didn't do a good job because I didn't control the spraying well. So now my paint looks very thick. :(
Will find time to post my pics here (if you don't mind).

Yes,its a lot of work to rip of the paint...but the effect is so great after doing that..:

Back