Before Watchmen

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfan08

Super Freak
Reaction score
It kicks off in June, but DC has already started a viral marketing campaign with the launch of newfrontiersman.net I just figured that we needed a thread in the right place now. I'd be much obliged if we could keep the ideological "DC vs. Alan Moore" arguments in the other thread.

Why be against it then? Just because you don't have an interest in it? I'll check it out, but I don't see how it would tarnish the original in any way.Whether this succeeds or fails, Watchmen will always be a masterpiece, and especially if you're one of those who don't read Before Watchmen, your experience wouldn't be affected anyway.

Why be against it then? Just because you don't have an interest in it? I'll check it out, but I don't see how it would tarnish the original in any way.Whether this succeeds or fails, Watchmen will always be a masterpiece, and especially if you're one of those who don't read Before Watchmen, your experience wouldn't be affected anyway.

Because it's a project that isn't born out of the type of originality the first was. This is DC slapping the milking machine on the original's utters. One could argue I'm a hypocrite because Marvel's been doing that for decades with their characters, but Watchmen's yarns were so tightly spun from the outset; it was a complete work with an ending, not an ongoing revolving around superhero character dynamic.

I don't buy that though. The original Watchmen serries/gn will always stand on it's own.

Just as the crap ass Halloween 4-RZ H2 have no affect on the greatness of Halloween.

I don't buy that though. The original Watchmen serries/gn will always stand on it's own.

Just as the crap ass Halloween 4-RZ H2 have no affect on the greatness of Halloween.

Those Halloween entries ride on the coattails of greatness. While the original remains great, its name, its saga, is affected which sucks. Watchmen was its own single entry for decades in comics. For me, it's sad to see that go away, and I don't see the point other than $$$. So ____ it.

I'm going to read it just to see what they're purpose is with this book. I enjoyed the original, but feel it's a little overhyped the past few years.

This project is fundamentally flawed on a moral level alone. The more they hype it, the more that unethical rabbit hole widens.

The only new Watchmen title I'm interested in reading is Watchmen Babies.

:lol :lol :lol Yes, but only if there is a Nanny who you only ever see her stocking legs :lecture

nanny.jpg

In all seriousness I'd have to agree with the majority here, no real need for this and I think anything done here will be ingenuine at best, and just godawful at worst. If I can take a look at it for free I'd do that, but no money of mine will support it.

This project is fundamentally flawed on a moral level alone. The more they hype it, the more that unethical rabbit hole widens.

I'd be much obliged if we could keep the ideological "DC vs. Alan Moore" arguments in the other thread.

We already discussed this in the other thread, and, again, I would be much obliged if we could keep this civil by keeping it informational. As far as I know, the other thread hasn't been decommissioned, and I would prefer if any "moral debates" stayed there.

Finally, something we can agree 100% on :hi5: :lol

EDIT: Sorry Batfan - just saw your request to keep this thread focused.

Nothing more to add from me...

Well, the event has started. Minutemen came out today, and I liked it. I'm not sure it has the depth that Moore's work had, but it does seem like Darwyn Cooke has a good grasp on the characters, Hollis Mason definitely feels like Hollis Mason, rather than an interpretation of Hollis Mason.

I read a display copy at my LCS.

Meh. It's not horrible, but certainly nothing ground-breaking or worth all the brouhaha. At least not yet. And this should probably be the best title of the bunch.

My initial reaction that this is nothing more than a cash-grab by DC & company remains firmly intact.

Also, there's already at least one dumb (if small) continuity error. In the first issue of the first title released (written/drawn by the headlining talent).

You would think they'd dot every "I" and cross every "T" with this, at least out of the gate. But apparently not.

May I ask what the small continuity error was? I don't believe I caught it. Not too sure about The Curse of the Crimson Corsair, either. Tales of the Black Freighter worked within the context of the original piece, I hope this story serves a similar purpose.

I enjoyed it alot. Glad I decided to order all the titles.

Also, there's already at least one dumb (if small) continuity error. In the first issue of the first title released (written/drawn by the headlining talent).

You would think they'd dot every "I" and cross every "T" with this, at least out of the gate. But apparently not.

May I ask what the small continuity error was? I don't believe I caught it. Not too sure about The Curse of the Crimson Corsair, either. Tales of the Black Freighter worked within the context of the original piece, I hope this story serves a similar purpose.

I am curious about this as well

Back