Chainsaw's Tiny G.I. JOE Collection & Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, so a while back I mentioned doing some 1/18th figures in the 1/6th scale, essentially a collection of figures FOR my figures. The first question, and one that have asked myself a lot, is, why? Well, why not I say!
The pictures where taken reather hastily, I would rather shoot during the day, but my free time is winding up. I am going back to work on the road and want to get a feel for a few things from my fellow freaks and friends. Nam or one of you guys can most likely tell me if this is something that CAN be sold legally, I have read the forum rules but but do not know if something like this constitutes mass production, etc. Honestly, I don't even know if these are something that people would want to add to their dioramas/collections, but seeing as I am going to be away, this is something that I could easily pack up and kill some time with while I'm away for a month or so.
I did'nt plan on writing a book here, so I'll leave it up to the forum to decide if this is a project worth pursuing or not. Lastly, I am leaning towards selling sets of years rather than individual figures, although nothing here is in stone. I have started with 84-85 and have all the resources to kick out my first waves. If nothing else, I'm going to finish doing the good years, '82-'86 or so just for the fun of it!

P4140096.jpg

P4140097.jpg

P4140105.jpg

P4140103.jpg

P4140102.jpg

P4140101.jpg

pfffffffft. Get back to me when you actually have 1:324 figures to put on the cards.
j/k those are pretty cool. :hi5:

pfffffffft. Get back to me when you actually have 1:324 figures to put on the cards.
j/k those are pretty cool. :hi5:

:rotfl
That was my plan at first, they would be 1/108th (6x18) and the closest I could find were 1/120th people for train diorama's, which unfortunately are visibly much smaller. With the solid plastic I'm using for the bubbles, sometimes it looks as if there are figures really in there, or maybe my eyes were just getting tired, not sure, but either way, I'm pretty happy with the way they are turning out. :)

On a side note, these in the pics are just to give everyone the idea, like a test run now that the fronts and backs have gone together all I have left is to tweak the sizing a little bit and they should all match up precisely. Most were just right out of the gate, just wanted to mention that because their were a couple of mismatches that I have since fixed.

:rotfl
That was my plan at first, they would be 1/108th (6x18) and the closest I could find were 1/120th people for train diorama's, which unfortunately are visibly much smaller. With the solid plastic I'm using for the bubbles, sometimes it looks as if there are figures really in there, or maybe my eyes were just getting tired, not sure, but either way, I'm pretty happy with the way they are turning out. :)

Duh. I did 18x18. Yeah they are looking great!

Any potential price will be set based on how quickly I can put them all together. Once I get my templates all set the way that I want them I should be able to put them together faster, thus cheaper. Since I'm just 'testing the waters', anyone who has any interest in having a set or two, please post your interest.

Any potential price will be set based on how quickly I can put them all together. Once I get my templates all set the way that I want them I should be able to put them together faster, thus cheaper. Since I'm just 'testing the waters', anyone who has any interest in having a set or two, please post your interest.

I'm already first on the list.

I guess I'm going to take this back up when I come back home in 3 or 4 weeks. To save everyone $ who wants to have these, I will be putting together some kits for the do-it-yourselfers for $20 plus shipping that will have everything needed to do all of the figures for the first 6 years, ('82-87).

The kits will have all of the corectly sized images printed on a high gloss/ high quality (300 year image life) photopaper for the cardbacks and the fronts
The carded material that seems to work the best (cardbord)
Clear plastic/vynel that can easily be cut with scissors to make the bubbles
Glue that dries clear and will not bleed the images.

For those that would still rather buy everything assembled, just pick out which years you would like and PM me, Darth Cruel still has dibs, I'll do them for $1.50 each plus shipping. If anyone would like the complete lot, 82-87 assembled, I will include a bonus::yess:
a full size custom carded figure of the purchaser (your face, catroonized facial image and any codename)as well as the 1/6th version.
I've done this for a lot of my friends, most are using them as their profile pics, here's mine...

P4160098.jpg

P4160097.jpg

if you can do this can you make a custom sideshow box for my croc master and big boa , by the way these are too f!@cking awesome they look so real.

if you can do this can you make a custom sideshow box for my croc master and big boa , by the way these are too f!@cking awesome they look so real.

I'd say it's probably doable. The artistic stuff/photoshopping is not what scared me but the large size of the printing so I did some quick research. Sideshow boxes are 7"x14", I can print up to legal, 8 1/2 x 14

I can get Brother BP 71GLGR Premium Glossy Glossy photo paper / Ledger B Size (11 in x 17 in) 20 sheets for about $30 shipped and cut it down.

The images/photos of the figures will need to be the highest quality possible, preferably bitmap files, (.bmp) but .jpg will do.

I take some high resolution photos of some of my boxes, sprinkle in some of your pics, heat on high at 350 for about 45 minutes and wallah!

Cut paste fold, serves 2.

I'd say it's probably doable. The artistic stuff/photoshopping is not what scared me but the large size of the printing so I did some quick research. Sideshow boxes are 7"x14", I can print up to legal, 8 1/2 x 14

I can get Brother BP 71GLGR Premium Glossy Glossy photo paper / Ledger B Size (11 in x 17 in) 20 sheets for about $30 shipped and cut it down.

The images/photos of the figures will need to be the highest quality possible, preferably bitmap files, (.bmp) but .jpg will do.

I take some high resolution photos of some of my boxes, sprinkle in some of your pics, heat on high at 350 for about 45 minutes and wallah!

Cut paste fold, serves 2.

sounds great when i finish them i want you to make me one.

Sounds like fun. Be on the lookout for any cheap cobra sideshow boxes, I'm thinking that may be quicker/ cheaper than starting from scratch and will look better in the end (there's a lot of redundant images) You can give me a heads up if you come across one and I'll order it. Or maybe someone reading this forum has one to sacrifice?:pray:

sounds great when i finish them i want you to make me one.

Just to elaborate, I'm thinking to make one from scratch I'll still need one to use as a template (to cut another box out of), doesn't matter if that's Joe or Cobra and the condition doesn't matter much, as long as it's a complete box it can be a scuffed up, bent up piece of junk. I don't want to kill any of my boxes in the process and I'm no longer at home to see if they can be laid out completely without destroying them. Ideally, I'll be able to do boxes from scratch, and then anyone with customs can send me their images, so I'd like to start there. If that doesn't work out, then we'll just use existing boxes and I'll just add my images to the box. :idea

Back