Why did SSC LOTR 1:6 fail?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushmore223

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was one of those few (according to Sideshow) who actually bought most of the 1:6 figures in this line, and would have continued had I the chance to collect more.

What do you think is the reason this line failed to be profitable for Sideshow? It seemed like this line Should have been a home run and still manages to generate revenue in the statue line.

Was It the figures themselves? Were they not detailed enough, I know I was extremely disappointed with the way the Aragorn figure came out vs. the prototype.

Was it over saturation of statues and busts that just turned off collectors for a new line?

Was it a failure to reach the target consumer? As far as I can remember, it seemed like they sold out on all their releases.

If another company were to take a chance on this line again, like say, HT, would there be enough of a market for this line.

There are so many Ironman, Batman and Predator variations out there that continue to sell out all the time that I would think LOTR would at least be able to sustain a full initial run of the fellowship and a few other select characters, like Saruman, Sauron in armor and at least one Uruk-hai.

Subpar sculpts and paintwork. HT need to do them. By them I multiple figures of Aragorn, Gandalf and Legolas.

1) No bad guys.
2) The release schedule was painfully slow.
3) Some releases were head scratchers (Faramir???).
4) Paint apps were inconsistent (Faramir???).
5) LotR fans who collect 1:6 seem to be the minority.
6) The figures were expensive (at the time :lol)

In short SS failed to inspire their customers to be loyal to the line.

yes lotr collectors are mature adults with good taste for statues unlike those silly marvel kids who play with their plastic dolls. :monkey3

Oh_No_You_Didn__t.jpg

1) No bad guys.
2) The release schedule was painfully slow.
3) Some releases were head scratchers (Faramir???).
4) Paint apps were inconsistent (Faramir???).
5) LotR fans who collect 1:6 seem to be the minority.
6) The figures were expensive (at the time :lol)

In short SS failed to inspire their customers to be loyal to the line.

Agreed (except for 6)

IMO - If hot toys were to release the fellowship with current standards of head-sculpts etc. in a reasonable time-line - they would sell fine.

The sculpts and paint apps and clothes were the biggest issues for me. I don't buy most of the statues either because of the first 2 reasons (actually, to be fair it's mostly the paint holding it back with some of the statues). If HT were to do them, I would finally get something that resembles the actors more.

I'm so very happy with the current statue/maquette line. There's a level of detail and realism that is top notch.

I'm sympathetic to those who wanted more LOTR characters in the 12" figure line, though.

My problem with this line was the fact that they looked like dolls or sort of like when kids play dress-up in clothes that are too big for them.

Strange. I thought the costuming was definitely one of the more praiseworthy features of 1:6 line. In fact, it was the justification that many had for the slightly higher than normal prices at the time.

Back