Dr Jones in the house, my Hot Toys DX05 review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion about this figure, most of which I have tried to ignore. Will it prove to be a grail in the future... I have a feeling it just might as this hobby keeps on growing in popularity, but for now it can still be got for retail.

Review- https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_022412b.htm

All the usual features can be found here- https://www.mwctoys.com/

detail8-1.jpg

detail7.jpg

pose4-3.jpg

pose17-3.jpg

detail24-1.jpg

detail20-3.jpg

pose27.jpg

detail27.jpg

detail26-2.jpg

A1detail35.jpg

How did you get your strap to be adjustable? Mine was glued in place.

I was coming in to say the same thing!

Anyway, great review. I pretty much agree with everything (although I think a 90% on the likeness is a little generous :wink1:), especially the articulation issue! I did appreciate how you acknowledged all the legitimate criticisms and still stayed overall positive.

I am still debating if I want to buy this figure. I don't collect a lot of figures compared to many others here. I just want a few figures that are positioned between some books and other things.

I do own the sideshow version and he is displayed in front of my Indiana Jones novels and movies. At the time I bought it it seemed like the best one available. I actually think the head sculpt is pretty good, the paint isn't great and has a glossy look that takes a lot away from it.

But my big problem with the sideshow figure is that the body looks like a puppet. Now looking at the Hot Toys version the thing that impresses me most is the body, it just seems more realistic.

The problem with the Hot Toys version is that for the price it's not a home run on the likeness in the sculpt even though it is priced like it is. I would gladly pay more for it than the sideshow because it seems like a better figure, I am just not sure it that much better for the price.

Still I like it enough that I keep looking at pics of it, reading reviews, and staying on the fence. I hear it looks much better in hand so I am trying to keep that in mind.

I would love to see more side by side comparison shots with the sideshow in various poses (action poses). I would like to know just how much better (no debate it is better, but HOW much) the body is on the Hot Toys. For me this could be the tipping point in me picking up the figure.

By the way, does anyone think the peers eyes do anything to make this figure better? Over all I have only heard that it has taken away from the likeness of the figure unlike the 89 Batman which seems to be perceived as adding to the figure.

How did you get your strap to be adjustable? Mine was glued in place.

I was coming in to say the same thing!.
... I kind of looked at it and just assumed it was... I didn't actually slide it... the first cardinal sin of the reviewer... never take anything for granted.

Anyway, great review. I pretty much agree with everything (although I think a 90% on the likeness is a little generous :wink1:), especially the articulation issue! I did appreciate how you acknowledged all the legitimate criticisms and still stayed overall positive.
I thank you

I am still debating if I want to buy this figure. I don't collect a lot of figures compared to many others here. I just want a few figures that are positioned between some books and other things.

I do own the sideshow version and he is displayed in front of my Indiana Jones novels and movies. At the time I bought it it seemed like the best one available. I actually think the head sculpt is pretty good, the paint isn't great and has a glossy look that takes a lot away from it.

But my big problem with the sideshow figure is that the body looks like a puppet. Now looking at the Hot Toys version the thing that impresses me most is the body, it just seems more realistic.

The problem with the Hot Toys version is that for the price it's not a home run on the likeness in the sculpt even though it is priced like it is. I would gladly pay more for it than the sideshow because it seems like a better figure, I am just not sure it that much better for the price.

Still I like it enough that I keep looking at pics of it, reading reviews, and staying on the fence. I hear it looks much better in hand so I am trying to keep that in mind.

I would love to see more side by side comparison shots with the sideshow in various poses (action poses). I would like to know just how much better (no debate it is better, but HOW much) the body is on the Hot Toys. For me this could be the tipping point in me picking up the figure.

By the way, does anyone think the peers eyes do anything to make this figure better? Over all I have only heard that it has taken away from the likeness of the figure unlike the 89 Batman which seems to be perceived as adding to the figure.

You sir have disocovered the enigma of this figure, when you first unbox it you will think, 'Nah, it's just not right'. But then you kit him up, you pose him, you turn him this way and that in differing lights and something just clicks. Then you realise that though not 100% perfect it is still strangely an absolute peach of a figure. I doubt that many except the obsesive anally retentive would be too dissapointed.

However, now I have actually had a flick throuh the various threads (I try to avoid them till I'm finished reviewing) it is amazing just how much this figure divides opinion.

Amen! Great review. Made me get the figure. I modded mine though :)

... I kind of looked at it and just assumed it was... I didn't actually slide it... the first cardinal sin of the reviewer... never take anything for granted.

I thank you

You sir have disocovered the enigma of this figure, when you first unbox it you will think, 'Nah, it's just not right'. But then you kit him up, you pose him, you turn him this way and that in differing lights and something just clicks. Then you realise that though not 100% perfect it is still strangely an absolute peach of a figure. I doubt that many except the obsesive anally retentive would be too dissapointed.

However, now I have actually had a flick throuh the various threads (I try to avoid them till I'm finished reviewing) it is amazing just how much this figure divides opinion.

Hot Toys, Arnie Kim and LFL ____ed us on this figure. Make a 2.0 to rectify this massive mistake. Goddamn what a dropped ball.

Jeff nearly sold this figure with his pics, but the fact is that the likeness kills it dead. For such an iconic figure, that is a cardinal sin IMO.
I'm happy with my customised one for now but HT really have to give us another non PERS version next.

Well he is a rather unusual figure in that you can only really appreciate him in hand, which seems to be why most of the people who come round to his charms are the ones who have bought it and spent some time studying it in different lights, poses and eye positions. And I'd never be so bold as to say the sculpt is anywhere near perfect, but it has a lot of subtle nuances that can only be appreciated when its in front of you.
Of course I respect those that don't like it or can't see Ford in there, but he's a better all round figure than some seem to give it credit for.

I really agree that it looks different in hand... But an improvement? Well I'm not going to say anything in this thread, ive said more than enough in the other one.

Me, In hand didn't sway me. I owned it for about 2 months, first time I got rid if a hot toy when I didn't know another better version was coming down the pipe.

Back