CW Green Arrow series, "Arrow"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://www.deadline.com/2012/01/cw...drama-from-greg-berlanti-and-marc-guggenheim/

The CW is finalizing a deal for a pilot order to Arrow, an hourlong superhero drama based on DC Comics’ Green Arrow. It is written and executive produced by The Green Lantern co-writers Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim and Fringe and Vampire Diaries alum Andrew Kreisberg. I hear that David Nutter will likely direct the project, which takes the comic book character created by Mort Weisinger and George Papp and sets him in a new world with an original story that is not based on the comics, which are published by DC Entertainment. Arrow, produced by Warner Bros TV and Berlanti’s studio-based Berlanti Television, was developed by Berlanti and Guggenheim, who came up with the idea and wrote the storyline and then brought in Kreisberg to write the script. Kreisberg, who has comics experience having written DC Comics’ Green Arrow and Black Canary among other books, previously worked with Berlanti and Guggenheim on their ABC drama Eli Stone.

First introduced in an 1941 edition of More Fun Comics, Green Arrow is a superhero dressed like Robin Hood who is an archer using trick arrows including glue, net, tear gas and even kryptonite arrows. His secret identity is billionaire Oliver Queen. This marks the character’s return to the CW, where it was a fixture on the Superman-inspired Smallville for several years. Portrayed by Justin Hartley, who is not attached to Arrow, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow was introduced in a seven-episode arc on the show in 2006, with Hartley joining the series as a regular in 2008. Also serving as a bridge between the two shows would be Nutter, who directed the pilot for Smallville.

Developing a series based on a DC property to succeed the recently departed Smallville was a priority for the CW this development season. “We’re looking next year to do a superhero show if the right superhero comes to be,” CW president Mark Pedowitz said at the summer TCA. In addition to Arrow, the network has in contention an adaptation of Deadman penned by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke. This is the CW’s second pilot order this season, following the pickup of mystery drama Cult last week. Arrow would mark the second pilot order for Berlanti and Guggenheim so far this season. Earlier this week, Fox greenlighted Guilty, a legal drama penned by Guggenheim and executive produced by him and Berlanti. Berlanti, Guggenheim, Nutter and Kreisberg, who serves as co-executive producer on Syfy’s Warehouse 13, are with WME.

Green Arrow was originally created by Mort Weisinger and George Papp back in 1941 and is a character that has had many comic book series and appeared on various DC Comic super hero teams like the Justice League over the years. The character also made a regular appearance on the Superman based CW television series Smallville where he was played by actor Justin Hartley which will apparently have no connection with this new series simply being titled "Arrow."

It seems like a mistake to me to have it not be a spinoff of Smallville's Green Arrow which would guarantee a pre-existing built in fan base.

Re: CW Green Arrow series, "Arrow"?

They are touting it as "Smallville meets Gossip Girl". I'm not liking that parallel already. Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim haven't exactly earned a whole lot of geek cred with GL though...

Its lame to do this around Green Arrow and not use the same actor. Why not choose a different character?

I'm bummed about no Hartley, but I'd like them to change it from the Smallville mythos anyway. Ollie needs to be with Dinah, not Chloe.

I'm sure the Gossip Girl comparison is just to say that it will feature a young, hot cast - rather than it will be more soap than action.

I just wish DC would do some serious TV shows based on their characters and not teen dramas. Who wouldn't an awesome, gritty Batman show? This show could have been sweet if not made into a teenage love soap opera. Hasn't Twilight already ruined Vampires and Werewolfs? We don't need it ruining superheroes too.

I'm sure the Gossip Girl comparison is just to say that it will feature a young, hot cast - rather than it will be more soap than action.

The second I hear XOXO in the show I'm burning my GA comics.

Who wouldn't an awesome, gritty Batman show?

Already exists, it's called "Person of Interest". Reese and Finch are basically Wayne and Alfred, the only difference would be if Alfred was the rich one funding Wayne. If you threw a cowl and cape on Caviezel it'd basically be a Batman show especially with the detective work, seemingly unlimited funds, using dirty cops in the police department to get that angle while still trying to buddy up to a good one, special ops training, the amazing tech, the mystery, hell he even is a bit of a myth around the police department as "The Man in the Suit" not to mention a Nolan is attached to it. :lol

Meh, I just didn't get into Person of Interest. I wanted to like it. It had a lot of things going for it (a Nolan as you mentioned, Ben from Lost, etc) but it just didn't work for me. :dunno

Really? I was hooked from the first five minutes, which could be easily paralleled to the whole "criminal Wayne" piece but it's been only getting better. Reese does more detective work and behind the scenes work than any of the Batmen in any of the films on the screen.

Yeah, I dropped it after 3 or 4 episodes. It was just too 'yeah right' for me and I just didn't buy JC as this highly trained bad @$$. I guess I still expect him to be getting the crap kicked out of him by Mel Gibson :lol

Personally I had enough of Green Arrow after all those years of him in Smallville. I can see this being a real teenage type of show, I wish the CW would put some more grown up shows on and lose the soap opera drama.

I was interested until I heard the Gossip Girl part. :lol

I would love a Batman TV show. Person of Interest didn't really grab my attention.

I'm not sure what to say based on the information presented in the link other than this show will probably be targeted to the younger audience. If it gets going I'll probably check it out after a couple episodes are aired, but I"m not expecting much to come from this.

This whole buisness model of "all teen girls all the time" is exactly why the cw is dying.

Basically they are operating under the theory that if you focus a channel exclusivly on a specific market, then advertisers will pay premium for ad space to reach that market.

However that model is not working at all, as not only do teenagers like a little variety in thier television (one show about rich highschoolers having sex is usually enough for most people), but advertisers would much rather reach the population at large.

EXCLUSIVE: One of the highest-profile young lead roles this pilot season has gone to Stephen Amell. In a potential star-making turn, Amell has been cast in the title role of the CW drama pilot Arrow. In the Warner Bros TV-produced project, described as a modern retelling of the story of DC Comics character Green Arrow, he will play the vigilante superhero who fights crime using archery, martial arts and technology under his secret identity as Oliver Queen, a wealthy playboy and billionaire industrialist-turned-outspoken politician in Star City. David Nutter is directing the pilot, written/executive produced by Andrew Kreisberg, Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim. Amell is a familiar face at the CW, where he has done arcs on The Vampire Diaries and 90210. He most recently recurred on HBO’s Hung and ABC’s Private Practice and was one of the finalists to replace Andy Whitfield as the lead on Spartacus. Amell is the second actor to portray the Green Arrow on the CW; Justin Hartley played the character on the Smallville for several seasons. Like Nina Dobrev, the breakout star of the CW’s Vampire Diaries, Amell hails from Canada. He is repped by SMS, Leverage and Canada’s Gary Goddard Agency.

Doesn't sound like a teen version at all, although at 30 he's still got the looks to attract the teen girls.

So this is Ollie:

stephen-amell-pic_344x516.jpg

Doesn't sound like a teen version at all, although at 30 he's still got the looks to attract the teen girls.

Wouldn't be the first time CW has used an older actor, look at Trevor Donovan who is 33 now and was playing a 19 year old High School student in 90210. The CW is notorious for testing actors and actresses' ranges.

Actually, I was going more based on the description they are now using, which says Queen is a playboy/industrialist/politician. Sounds more like the usual Arrow.

Actually, I was going more based on the description they are now using, which says Queen is a playboy/industrialist/politician. Sounds more like the usual Arrow.

That's how he was portrayed in Smallville too, yet that show had a decidedly teen slant. But I'm hoping it's a grown up show.

I would agree, if you look at the character bios for Gossip Girl, words like philanthropist and playboy were tossed around even when those kids were in high school on the show. It's tough to tell from that but I'm also hoping it's a bit more adult orientated.

Back