Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit 1/6 Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordAzrael

Origins Kurgan Crusader
Reaction score
Hobbit Figures - what will we get ?

I'll be honest and admit I don't follow speculation real closely, but I was curious if Sideshow had made any licence announcements (or who else had) and if so what we're going to get ?

Personally I would have thought the dwarf body would be a no-brainer, and hence revive the possibility of a Gimli figure.

Anyone else got any ideas ?

Re: Hobbit Figures - what will we get ?

I think we're going to get a whole bunch of dwarves and Bilbo.

smaug?

I am just wondering if there will be another Hobbiton (again!) For Weta has a done a pretty good job already.

btw, isn't weta producing it rather than SS??

Hard to say, common assumption is that we'll see some dwarves but I can't imagine them making more than a few. We can't even get decent Merry and Pippin and they are 2/9s of the Fellowship. No way we get all the dwarves I say, but who knows.

I'll remain true to my anti-Lurtz stance and NOT buy anything under the Hobbit label that wasn't in the books, so no Frodo rehash and all the other bridge material thrown in there for the purposes of a making a two part prequel.

Trolls, yes, baddies for sure, wood elves, Beorn, Smaug of course. we can bet on a Goblin King statue. Interesting to see if they rehash the stone trolls environment.

No way Bag End gets redone because Weta will likely have that license anyway. If no partnership occurs then I can see the status quo with existing licenses (arms, shields, environments with Weta, PFs, LSFs, dios with SS and the big fight over the 1/6 line. At least that's how it feels thinking like its 2000. BUT maybe 1/6 isn't what it used to be. Certainly recent LOTR hasn't suffered that badly of late with the focus on different scales.

I'd love for SSC to give us at least a 1:6 Bilbo figure to display with Frodo.

Whoever ends up getting the statue license I'm sure we'll see the major players announced. For me I'll be in for all of them including stuff that wasn't in the books. I don't hold to that line of thinking whatsoever. As far as 1:6th action figures I really don't think we'll see any of those. Statues just sell better when it comes to LOTR and I'm sure the same will be so with The Hobbit.

I'll get whatever they produce but I'm worried it won't be a lot if anything.

I won't get any 1:6 scale figures that may or may not get produced, but I will certainly being paying attention to any statue announcements. Smaug could be right up there with the original Balrog and Cave Troll if done properly.

Smaug if done original balrog, cave troll, or snow troll size would be something to behold no doubt.

hoping they coincide with the current LOTR statue line, I'm think the obvious choices are:

Bilbo
Thorin Oakenshield

I would actually go for all the dwarves, even if they did a couple to one base. Their costuming looks very good in the trailer.

I'm thinking Smaug will be done, only thing in question for me is how big will he be.

Count the number of full figures statues Sideshow did.

There is plenty of room for all the Dwarves, some Elves, Gandalf, Radagast, Bilbo, the human characters, some notable orcs, Smaug, each of the three trolls individually and perhaps as a group and some environments also. In the end, we will have a minimum of 60 figures.

I still have slight, very slight hope for some 1/6 figures. If I remember correctly, they said in at least one of the ask sideshows that they wanted to see if the Hobbit movies reignite interest in 1/6.
I just want Gimli. I mean I definitely want some baddies but f I had to choose only one character, it would be Gimli.

I do and don't agree with you Josh on statues selling better for LoTR. Obviously the maquette line is doing great and rightfully so as they are some great pieces. But at the same time, I feel that a 1/6 line hasn't been given a fair chance, with his slow SS was producing them. I think if SS produced 1/6 figures as frequently as they do the maquettes, with the same variety, they'd do pretty well IMO

If SS produced 1/6 Hobbit/LOTR figures at the level of their Joes and SW figures, there'd be even more interest especially since the amount of 1/6 collectors has grown quite a lot since SS originally produced the LOTR figures

Last edited:

idk, i hope we get them all...bilbo, dwarves, bard, elrond, etc

Hobbit isn't LOTR. When LOTR hit it was a multi decade waiting game that came to an end.

2011 isn't 2001, the economy isn't what it was back then either.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the tie-ins and merchandising now will be more limited in comparison to what we got for LOTR.

Hobbit isn't LOTR. When LOTR hit it was a multi decade waiting game that came to an end.

2011 isn't 2001, the economy isn't what it was back then either.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the tie-ins and merchandising now will be more limited in comparison to what we got for LOTR.

We won't get as many statues as when SSW worked on LOTR, of course, because it's a smaller story with less characters, but i'm sure we'll get the main characters, and hopefully that includes all dwarves (dwarfs?).
As Weta will be designing and making Smaug, i really hope they do a large-ish statue. As i've always said, i'm hoping for two - a big one of him laid on his treasure (yes, like the John Howe one but in colour and surely he will look a bit different), and a smaller, 'baby Smaug', of him flying round the mountainside, roaring fire onto the spot he thinks the dwarves (dwarfs?) are, and the fire is what is holding Smaug to the mountainside.

I will be all over any 1:6 scale action figures that they make. But considering the failure of the LOTR 1:6 scale line, I am not holding my breath for anything in that format.

We won't get as many statues as when SSW worked on LOTR, of course, because it's a smaller story with less characters, but i'm sure we'll get the main characters, and hopefully that includes all dwarves (dwarfs?).
As Weta will be designing and making Smaug, i really hope they do a large-ish statue. As i've always said, i'm hoping for two - a big one of him laid on his treasure (yes, like the John Howe one but in colour and surely he will look a bit different), and a smaller, 'baby Smaug', of him flying round the mountainside, roaring fire onto the spot he thinks the dwarves (dwarfs?) are, and the fire is what is holding Smaug to the mountainside.

But I thought John Howe had already made Smaug for Weta - though it may not be movie-accurate. But if Howe is on board, then it will be.

Back