Heston was Indy before Ford

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jungle jom

Super Freak
Reaction score
"Secret of the Incas" Starring Charlton Heston...Now streaming on Netflix. It's also on Youtube if you don't have Netflix.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X33ActK3gT8[/ame]

I just discovered this movie and it seems that Lucas kind of stole much of Indy's character from this film. At least it seems that way to me. Give it a watch and see what you think.

nice find, i see alot of indy too... minus the creepy smile heston gives.. and the frequent removal of his hat lol... then again i only watched that 9 minutes of it.

I've only watched the first hour myself but plan on watching the rest, this weekend.

This is well known as one of the big inspirations of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It even has the shaft of light map scene in it....

Whats most interesting is Lucas/Spielberg's complete refusal to acknowledge its existence. In books like the complete making of Indiana Jones they go through various famous inspirations, listing things like Bogart's Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but seem to specicially omit this one.

Various people that worked on Raiders have commented on it (someone has even added comments into the Incas wiki from people that worked on Raiders LOL) but it seems George doesn't want to acknowledge how close 'Incas' actually is and prefers to keep people ignorant of this particular movie.

This is well known as one of the big inspirations of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It even has the shaft of light map scene in it....

Whats most interesting is Lucas/Spielberg's complete refusal to acknowledge its existence. In books like the complete making of Indiana Jones they go through various famous inspirations, listing things like Bogart's Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but seem to specicially omit this one.

Various people that worked on Raiders have commented on it (someone has even added comments into the Incas wiki from people that worked on Raiders LOL) but it seems George doesn't want to acknowledge how close 'Incas' actually is and prefers to keep people ignorant of this particular movie.

hmmmm so l would like to know where he stole Star Wars from.:lecture

Lucas has admitted that Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress" is the inspiration for "Star Wars".

Lucas originally wanted to buy the rights to Flash Gordon as he was interested in making that kind of 30's sci matinee film. When he couldn't get the rights he came up with Star Wars.

I always thought Lucas' inspiration for Howard the Duck, was the Richard Pryor film 'Brewster's Millions', where a millionaire throws a large quantity of money away on totally stupid and illogical business decisions!!

I always thought Lucas' inspiration for Howard the Duck, was the Richard Pryor film 'Brewster's Millions', where a millionaire throws a large quantity of money away on totally stupid and illogical business decisions!!

Wasn't that the SW prequels?

hmmmm so l would like to know where he stole Star Wars from.:lecture

Flash Gordon is his sci-fi inspiration
Luke is really the classic archetype of the naive boy that becomes a hero.

And Kurosawa's Samurai flick 'The Hidden Fortress' which features two peasants - a short fat one and a tall skinny one :) - following around an old samurai trying to rescue a princess.

I think that just about says it all about what Lucas blended to make his "Star Wars" concoction.

Lucas and other makers of the film have said publicly for YEARS that this movie was a big inspiration to Indiana Jones. It's nothing new. In fact, Lucas talked about this movie again a few years ago when KotCS came out. Just FYI.

And Kurosawa's Samurai flick 'The Hidden Fortress' which features two peasants - a short fat one and a tall skinny one :) - following around an old samurai trying to rescue a princess.

mlss_cinema.preview.jpg

:rotfl

And nice find on this Incas flick. I've never heard of it but will give it a watch this week.

Lucas and other makers of the film have said publicly for YEARS that this movie was a big inspiration to Indiana Jones. It's nothing new. In fact, Lucas talked about this movie again a few years ago when KotCS came out. Just FYI.

Have you got any links where I can watch that?

I've never seen it discussed by Lucas. And as I said, its omitted from the 'complete making of' hardcover that covers all the inspirations while they do include pics or old serial posters, Bogart in Sierre Madre, Robert Howard's El Borak and even Zorro.

The only Google links I can find are articles discussing why the movie is never mentioned by either Lucas or Spielberg. ...with some conspiracy theory stuff thrown in for good measure, including that they are both Paramount films.

Back