Superman or Batman?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
Who's your favorite?

With all the talk about Superman Returns and the Superman and Batman figures, I was wondering who do you prefer of the two? Is it Big Blue or the Dark Knight? Do you collect the comics or do you just like the movies? I don't want to get into a big discussion about who would win in a fight, let's keep it to who you prefer and why.

I'll start by saying that Superman and Batman are my favorite super-heroes of all time. I've been reading the comics since the late 70's and still do today. But with his internal demons, great costume, cool car and insane villains, Batman has always been my ultimate favorite.

As far as the movies go, Batman Begins is my favorite, but Christopher Reeve did the best job bringing a comic book hero to life.

Batman all the way :angelsmil Why? Because all he has is human capabilities. All he's got is his utility belt and brain.

If it's between these two then it's Batman for me. Superman comics are the worst written books I've collected. I think you must add Spider-man into the mix, being as he's the best super-hero very to grace a comic book.

From a movie standpoint I prefer Batman. I like the fact that Batman is a human being so his character feels more real. Plus his costume is much cooler and he has all those wonderful toys.

I've not really seen the movies or read comics for either of them. I remember watching the Batman cartoon that was on when I was in elementary, about 12 or so years ago, but then I used to watch the old Geroge Reeves as Superman on Nick at Nite. I've always preferred Batman to Superman. As other have said Batman is only his brain and the utility belt. Plus I would add that Batman has a reason to fight, he's pissed about his parents death. Finally Superman is just too good. C'mon faster than a speeding bullet, leaping tall buildings in a single bound, just a little too powerful for my tastes. Finally, at least batman has a better disguise. How is it that Clark Kent takes off his glasses and nobody recognizes him?

Superman doesn't wear a mask, why would you think he's ever anyone but Superman? Especially a lowly reporter who can't get the girl to notice him.

I've always loved Superman. The nebbish who is socially inept and bullied - little does anyone know that he has unlimited potential and saves the world on a daily basis.

I like Batman too, but I could never identify with his nearly psychotic drive. He forsakes everything good in life for his calling - kind of like a priest. He's just a little too crazy for me.

Between those two, I have to say Batman by a mile.....Comics were much better written,IMO, and the character himself is much cooler....Its hard to sympathize(spelling)or relate to an alien who is all powerful and cant be hurt, were as Batman has human qualites and is simply just a man....Also I have always liked his way of going about getting justice on those who need their butts kicked...Superman has always been to "soft" for my taste!

For me its Batman by a mile - that being said though I did really enjoy the intepretation of Supes in Smallville - I think that was helped largely by the brilliant portrayal of Lex Luthor. A great reimagining. Unfortunately on the big screen Supes always just seems to have unlimited power which lets him save the day without being smart about it. Batman on the otherhand is usually not more "powerful" head to head than his opponent - its misdirection and intelligence that wins the day for him.

I do hope that the rumored Superman vs Batman project makes it to the big screen. Personally I'd imagine its more a Supes + Bats rather than a vs film. Despite their differences I understand in the comics the two have a lot of personal common ground (i.e. lost their natural parents, loners in the world etc) that has the potential for a really great film.

I'd also love the see the "Reign of the Superman" plotline make it to the big screen - as long as they improve on Steel ;) (which I've never seen but I've heard it sux).

Batman in any version, since I've collected the various Batman comics since I was a kid in the 70's. Never was a fan of the big blue boyscout.

Superman all the way! I always enjoyed reading his comics more than Batmans. I still can't understand how people can compare Superman, a guy virtually invincible to everything, to a mere human (Batman) who needs gadgets to help him capture simple villans. It's blasphemy I say.....:monkey4

Bats used to be my favorite, for most of the same reasons outlined above. But in recent years I've gravitated to Supes, mainly due to the sci-fi aspect (Kryptonian technology etc) plus the parallels with Neo in The Matrix.

Superman is my number two, while Batman is my number three. My favorite super hero is:

Green Lantern all the way!
:chew :chew :chew:chew :chew

All this brings to mind the Crash Test Dummies' Superman's Song:

Tarzan wasn't a ladies' man
He'd just come along and scoop 'em up under his arm
Like that, quick as a cat in the jungle
But Clark Kent now there was a real gent
He would not be caught sittin' around in no
Junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing

Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him

Hey Bob, Supe had a straight job
Even though he could have smashed through any bank
In the United States, he had the strength, but he would not
Folks said his family were all dead
Their planet crumbled but Superman, he forced himself
To carry on, forget Krypton, and keep going

Tarzan was king of the jungle and Lord over all the apes
But he could hardly string together four words: "I Tarzan, You Jane. "

Sometimes when Supe was stopping crimes
I'll bet that he was tempted to just quit and turn his back
On man, join Tarzan in the forest
But he stayed in the city, and kept on changing clothes
In dirty old phonebooths till his work was through
And nothing to do but go on home

I'd say Batman all the way.... I could sympathise with him much more than Superman. Superman was always the boy scout, the perfect one, and being not so perfect myself... I could not really get myself into his shoes.

Batman on the other hand was motivated by suffering, much like myself. My mother died when I was 12, she died because she lived too hard a life, drugs and the like, so much that her body finally shut down for it. So I had a lot of unfocused rage to deal with in the already crazy hurricane of puberty. I could have lost my mind, but I channeled my anger into my art. I used it to better myself and it was due to my love of comics and movies that I was able to do it.

Yeah a lot of parents try to point a blameful finger at the entertainment industry for creating lunatics and murderers, but I disagree. Because most of those stories I loved had a moral lesson, even if skewed a little or hidden behind a mask of violence, they still taught a life lesson. So TV was my parent, and comics were the step-parents. They were there to show me who the bad guys were and what not to do. It's sad, but my Dad was working a lot to afford my sister and I... so someone had to do it.

Batman taught me a lot, and I love the stories... so yeah, Batman all the way. He may have been a little crazy at times and he wasn't always right.... but neither am I. :D

Darklord Dave said:
Superman doesn't wear a mask, why would you think he's ever anyone but Superman? Especially a lowly reporter who can't get the girl to notice him.
It makes more sense when you put it that way. Although it seems like Lois Lane and some of those others that worked with Kent and got close to Superman might be suspicious.

LordAzrael said:
For me its Batman by a mile - that being said though I did really enjoy the intepretation of Supes in Smallville - I think that was helped largely by the brilliant portrayal of Lex Luthor. A great reimagining. Unfortunately on the big screen Supes always just seems to have unlimited power which lets him save the day without being smart about it. Batman on the otherhand is usually not more "powerful" head to head than his opponent - its misdirection and intelligence that wins the day for him.

I do hope that the rumored Superman vs Batman project makes it to the big screen. Personally I'd imagine its more a Supes + Bats rather than a vs film. Despite their differences I understand in the comics the two have a lot of personal common ground (i.e. lost their natural parents, loners in the world etc) that has the potential for a really great film.

I'd also love the see the "Reign of the Superman" plotline make it to the big screen - as long as they improve on Steel ;) (which I've never seen but I've heard it sux).

It would be cool as Hell to see a "Worlds Finest" movie with Bats and Supes... The dynamic that those two have had in the comics is what I've always loved about DC. And the fact that Superman gave Batman a Kryptonite ring just in case he ever had to be taken down..... I think that shows how close they are.

Also it's funny that Batman knows Superman is Clark and uses that to his advantage all the time.... :lol

DarkArtist81 said:
I'd say Batman all the way.... I could sympathise with him much more than Superman. Superman was always the boy scout, the perfect one, and being not so perfect myself... I could not really get myself into his shoes.

Batman on the other hand was motivated by suffering, much like myself. My mother died when I was 12, she died because she lived too hard a life, drugs and the like, so much that her body finally shut down for it. So I had a lot of unfocused rage to deal with in the already crazy hurricane of puberty. I could have lost my mind, but I channeled my anger into my art. I used it to better myself and it was due to my love of comics and movies that I was able to do it.

Yeah a lot of parents try to point a blameful finger at the entertainment industry for creating lunatics and murderers, but I disagree. Because most of those stories I loved had a moral lesson, even if skewed a little or hidden behind a mask of violence, they still taught a life lesson. So TV was my parent, and comics were the step-parents. They were there to show me who the bad guys were and what not to do. It's sad, but my Dad was working a lot to afford my sister and I... so someone had to do it.

Batman taught me a lot, and I love the stories... so yeah, Batman all the way. He may have been a little crazy at times and he wasn't always right.... but neither am I. :D

I have never herd such a compelling reason for someone to like Batman...Its amazing what people can take out of simple things like movies, cartoons and comics...For those with a more watchful eye, there are lessons to be learned in the places you would never look...I think that was a great post Josh, with its own little hidden lessons...to the watchful eye that is.

Back