c3po question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven.giunta

Super Freak
Reaction score
Maybe someone here can help me out,I noticed that c3po is gold but his right leg is silver below the knee,I am not sure why and its been bugging me for a couple years now.can someone please help me with this?thanks

It's kinda like when people drive an old rusty heap for a car and it has a different color door. Because the cost of a matching door would be more than the car is worth.

Have you seen the prices of gold recently? Luke chopped his leg off and sold it at his neighborhood gold party. :slap

My assumption has always been that Lucas intended the Star Wars universe to feel like it was lived-in. As a result, the ships are rusted and have paint flaking off them, and the robots have mismatching replacement parts.

:lecture :exactly:

In Ep 1, 3P0 has no coverings
In Ep 2, 3P0 had mis-matched coverings, scavenged by Owen.
In Ep 3, Padme replaced his covering with ALL shiny, brand new gold.
20 years later, in Ep 4, 3P0 is pretty dirty and dinged up, but still has the gold coverings Padme gave him, all except the right leg from the knee down. He must have either lost his leg, or just his gold coverings on an adventure with Captain Antilles and they couldn't replace it properly.
In Ep 5, he is still gold, except now his right foot is no longer silver; it is gold again, so they must have found him a gold foot, or gold foot coverings. Maybe on an adventure with Luke he lost his foot or foot coverings?
In Ep 6 3p0 is the same as Ep 5.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
According to some of the written stories, somewhere in 3pos adventures his right leg and right foot were replaced (look closely at the Tantive IV scenes and you can see both the lower leg and foot are silver).

According to "Tales of the golden droid" book, Lucas asked for this detail do that 3po would have a sense of history to him.

My assumption has always been that Lucas intended the Star Wars universe to feel like it was lived-in. As a result, the ships are rusted and have paint flaking off them, and the robots have mismatching replacement parts.

I used to think this way & overated GLs input, I think the artists should get credit for the creations & thoughts into them, credit GL for the film

Of course the artists, Ralph McQuarrie especially, should be credited for their incredible contribution to the film. My post said that Lucas wanted a universe that felt lived-in, contrasting many preceding science fiction films which depicted a pristine future. I think he did desire this in his film and I think he let talented artists realize this vision. Not sure how you thought my post took away from the work of these artists?

I used to think this way & overated GLs input, I think the artists should get credit for the creations & thoughts into them, credit GL for the film

Back