Sideshow Frankenstein Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODBJBG

Freakzoid
Reaction score

Boris Karloff lives! 2011 marks the 80th anniversary of James Whale's Frankenstein film and as part of our Halloween celebration, we're taking a look back at Sideshow's first attempt at this figure. It's not only one of Sideshow's first 12 inch figures, it's also still a magnificent piece for Universal Monster collectors and regular toy fans alike. Check it out and feel free to leave a comment if you like it!

"You make man?"

"No, I review man!"

Infinite Hollywood: Sideshow Frankenstein Review

One of my favorites. It could use some better clothes, but it's still a great sculpt. Oluf did some very nice work.

Love my Frank but I don't think he is going to win the Who Will Be Santa poll. :(

A good start, but I think the "Bride" version has a much better likeness.So much so that when I found one at a Science fiction con last year I grabbed it without a second thought. Now I just have to keep my wife from inflicting"creative"poses on him;she currently has him sitting on a powder blue Vespa(which ,oddly enough,actually works)...PS

I think the sculpt still holds up. The paint apps could be stronger, though.

But the jacket is pretty weak. Did anyone ever make custom clothes for this line? Dracula's outfit was a big improvement, however.

I think the sculpt still holds up. The paint apps could be stronger, though.

But the jacket is pretty weak. Did anyone ever make custom clothes for this line? Dracula's outfit was a big improvement, however.

The douchy "$6k for a screen accurate jacket" crowd had arrived yet. Back then we actually enjoyed the releases despite their shortcomings - if we even viewed them as such. :huh

I've actually been picking some of these old Universal Monsters up lately (sold them off a couple years ago and now I want them again). Franky's one of the main ones I need now.

The douchy "$6k for a screen accurate jacket" crowd had arrived yet. Back then we actually enjoyed the releases despite their shortcomings - if we even viewed them as such. :huh

:lol:lol:lol
For the thousands of $$$ folks spend on those outfits, they should just get some sewing lessons for a few hundred bucks and learn to make stuff themselves. :lecture

I still need to pick up the original Frankie. I got the Bride version which should currently be in Skiman's possession for a nice repaint.

Bride Franky is a great sculpt. I've compared photos of the original Franky and the Son of Frankenstein version and I'm leaning towards the SOF as a better sculpt.

If only SS would revisit the Universal Monsters or even better HT. I'd love all these in my collection & with todays standard they would amazing.

Agreed, Universal Monsters is a licensing nightmare with the children of the original actors wanting more money than Universal is willing to give.

We've seen that Hot Toys are willing to dish out the dough for likenesses with for example the Jack Nicholson Joker, but he is also a fan favorite amongst 12 inch collectors. I don't think they will do that with the Karloff, Lugosi or Chaney monsters (though they should)

They'd probably lose interest after 2 figures anyway...

Back