Watchmen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Bleeding Cool said:
A couple of years ago, Bleeding Cool broke the news that DC Comics was planning to return to Watchmen to tell new stories. Dave Gibbons would be involved as well as many of DC's brightest stars.

The very concept was pooh-poohed and Bleeding Cool was accused to making the whole thing up, by some. Until Alan Moore confirmed that he had been approached to, if nothing else, acquiesce to the project, in return for subsequently being granted the ownership rights to Watchmen that he had once sought, at a later date. He turned the idea down, and the media attention seemed to kill the project.

For a while...

I was told before New York Comic Con that it might be back on and that DC were drawing up a wishlist of creators for a series of Watchmen prequel comics...Well I've now heard a lot more. Darwyn Cooke's name is at the very top, linked to drawing two mini-series and writing another, followed by the likes of JMS, JG Jones, Andy Kubert and Brian Azzarello. Whether or not they have been approached, I don't know, and no one's talking, but it gives you an idea of the scale. I would also expect Dave Gibbons and John Higgins to be involved in some way.

I've also been told that there's a creating meeting happening this week and the project has a secret name, "Panic Room" - as in that's where the creators will need to go with the news breaks...

DC declined to comment. Just as he did last time, Dave Gibbons would only say "hurm".

I remember reading that one of the 52 universe of the Multiverse was the Watchmen universe but I had hoped that's where this project stopped.

For ____'s sake.

If this happens, Dan Didio should be strung up.

And if I ever see any official new WATCHMEN art by Jim Lee or Rob Liefeld I might just have to go on a homicidal rampage.

Like this:

WS_Watchmen_by_JPRart.jpg

or this:

watchmen2.jpg

:lol

I guarantee you that if it happens they'll give a book to Jim Lee, Ivan Reis, Rob Liefeld and all the other heavy hitters at the New 52. Not just Cooke or Kubert.

I like this response on the Bleeding Cool boards:

Surely the only people appropriate for a petty cash grab that serves mostly to piss off Alan Moore are Geoff Johns and/or Grant Morrison.

:lol Hard to argue with that, actually. They should've mentioned Jim Lee too, though.

Oh my God if they include Morrison I might put a fist through a wall. Please keep him away from Dr. Manhattan.

Oh my God if they include Morrison I might put a fist through a wall. Please keep him away from Dr. Manhattan.

You KNOW Morrison would be all over this. Hell, he's almost halfway there with some of the "Multiversity" business he's working on. One of them, PAX AMERICANA is essentially a modern political 'remake' of WATCHMEN with the Charlton characters the characters were originally based on. If this WATCHMEN thing materializes, I'd be stunned if he wasn't attached to it as well. :monkey4

Last edited:
Just to play devil's advocate, is the original story so precious and special that no one can ever be allowed to write another? I know the Watchmen universe is special but I always thought the story itself lagged behind the characters and concepts. I just wonder if we're being a bit too reverential. Of course, any continuation/ prequel/ whatever would have to be of spectacular quality.

Like it wasn't bad enough that the DCnU looks like Wildstorm & decades of history flushed down the toilet, now this?

multiversitybannermorri.jpg

Just to play devil's advocate, is the original story so precious and special that no one can ever be allowed to write another? I know the Watchmen universe is special but I always thought the story itself lagged behind the characters and concepts. I just wonder if we're being a bit too reverential. Of course, any continuation/ prequel/ whatever would have to be of spectacular quality.

Essentially yes. It was written, illustrated and fully intended to be nothing more than what it was.

The original WATCHMEN is a true modern masterpiece. One of the very few. To add a "2" after it with a sequel that has almost zero chance of measuring up would be a shame.

Look at the sequel to THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, which was even from the same original creators. It was so horrid that people (like myself) can't be brought to purchase the Absolute collection now because that poop is also included.

Do not tarnish WATCHMEN the same way, DC. :nono

It would be the comic equivalent of some modern, reasonably well-known and reasonably successful filmmaker deciding to make a sequel to Citizen Kane. It could be done fairly well, and it could make money, but it would still be a cheap money grab that would at some level cheapen the legacy of the franchise. I think Watchmen deserves better. But then, nothing seems sacred anymore. . .

Just to play devil's advocate, is the original story so precious and special that no one can ever be allowed to write another?

stanley2.gif

It was lightning in a bottle. A comic series that transcended the genre decades before the rest of the industry caught up. It would be hard enough to produce a sequel or prequel with Alan Moore involved because without it'd be Morrison or Johns doing their best dark, brooding Moore impression and come off horrifically.

Back