Ringwraith and Steed, how to spot a recast?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daimon

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello
I recently bought from ebay the Ringwraith and Steed statue that is really rare to find. The seller was dmkworkshop from china and I read the post about recasts/fakes after I bought it.
Is there a way to find out if thats a recast or a fake?
If anyone have the original one please give me some tips how to spot the recast.
Thanks,
Neofytos

Recasts are normally from China, and from sellers who have multiple rare/exclusive items. Those are some of the red flags. I'm sure the RWOS experts on this forum will go into the details of this particular piece.

Hello
I recently bought from ebay the Ringwraith and Steed statue that is really rare to find. The seller was dmkworkshop from china and I read the post about recasts/fakes after I bought it.
If anyone have the original one please give me some tips how to spot the recast.
Thanks,
Neofytos

Hi dimon :wave the name dmkworkshop has come up time and again regarding recasts I'm afraid.

Can't say for sure if your is a recast or not but the words dmkworkshop and China always ring alarm bells to me.

I understand that the recasts generally have quite a dark Ringwraith, not the Gray Black of the SSW one. I know from the SSW one I have, there is a lot less mud spatter too, but that is not a guarantee of a recast as far as I know.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help dimon.

:duff
Bill

Maybe you can show some pictutres of yours ?
We/I can compare with a genuine one ...

Hello
Thanks,
Neofytos

post some photos!

The seller was dmkworkshop from china

Here's what Tim from Weta had to say about dmkworkshop:

Hi Everyone

I can confirm this dmkcompany is definitely not selling authentic Weta goods. These are illegal, pirated copies.

They are not produced by the original factory. They are recasts from another company somewhere in China.

I have seen some of these recasts first hand in China, and they are poor quality.

Weta recommends you do not purchase from any sellers based in China.

Many thanks for your support.

Cheers

Tim

You can see his actual post on the S&F thread here

Sorry to say dude, but you have been scammed. If you paid using a credit card, try and stop the payment now.

Hi Everyone,
I just got my statue at work I took some photos with my phone I will post more later when I set it up tonight.

Hi Everyone,
I just got my statue at work I took some photos with my phone I will post more later when I set it up tonight.

Hard to say seeing these pictures.
It can be seen on the paintjob and the gloss of it ...

Daimon,

I wouldn't trust anything out of China or from that seller specifically at this point, and while it has been a while since I had my Ringwraith on Steed on my shelf, the paint application on yours doesn't look like what I remember. I would see if you could work on a stop payment or a refund and send this back, as it looks like a recast. Even the packaging could be forged at this point, if a scammer was motivated enough! I hope you can get your money back, and welcome to the board.

I am also hesitant to point out additional details as to why I feel like this isn't a legitimate piece on the board, as we have had new members that show up asking questions about recasts, and it seems the general MO is to try to find ways to improve the recast and ask collectors to help them spot flaws. These guys are ruin collecting though, all just to make a buck.

Did you purchase this through ebay and paypal?? Maybe you can open up an active case and have it reach arbitration. If you can get your seller to state on the opened case that he will accept a return, I think ebay should vote in your favor.

I don't even know what a real Ringwraith and Steed looks like, but I can already tell you what you have is fake. There is no any company would release that to the general public. It looks like a black mushroom is growing atop of a brown turd that has legs.

Thank you for your help. I will need to find someone that has a real one and take it to him to compare them together. If its a recast it will be smaller I guess but I will check with sideshow because this one has a number (1153) as well

Beloved elite superhero Captain Hindsight says ebay is generally ground zero. If I can't score it on sideshow,bbts,or any other reputable/official distributor website when it is released, I don't bother trying to obtain it on secondary market.

Evilbay is in the business of making money, so they turn a blind eye to fakes, but they get a nice 10% cut. The resolution case and buyer policy I mentioned before is just a way to sucker buyers into purchasing on their website, but you may still be able to use it to your advantage.

Did you purchase this through ebay and paypal?? Maybe you can open up an active case and have it reach arbitration. If you can get your seller to state on the opened case that he will accept a return, I think ebay should vote in your favor.

I don't even know what a real Ringwraith and Steed looks like, but I can already tell you what you have is fake. There is no any company would release that to the general public. It looks like a black mushroom is growing atop of a brown turd that has legs.

Yes I got it from ebay and paid with paypal, I got so happy that I found him available that I didn't look the sellers name and location.

I have the RWOS and the pictures you have listed look 'over done' on the painting but that may be the photo's . DMK is a well known, self confessed recaster and has made many a 'fishing trip' to get details of boxes, shippers etc.

Having an edition number on it is a detour from their usual AP listing though. Check the number on the registration threads on here and at wetacollector (S+F). It may be genuine, but given the previous output from DMK, I doubt it :lecture

Having an edition number on it is a detour from their usual AP listing though. Check the number on the registration threads on here and at wetacollector (S+F). It may be genuine, but given the previous output from DMK, I doubt it :lecture

Is there such a thread with numbers of the statues?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/renderblack/
Some hires photos I took.
Customer service of Sideshow has them too.

almost guaranteed fake, never ever buy anything from china except maybe hot toys from well known hongkong distributors.

This statue really isnt that rare...

Anyway just open a case with ebay and choose item not as described, you should get your money back no problem especially since the seller isnt a runaway 1-hit wonder.

Given how much we are paying SS, they really should put a security chip in those things sigh.

Although I have never owned this statue, I've seen it in person many times...wasn't this during the glory days of high quality foam packing? The foam packing on the "proposed fake" looks crumbly...also there looks to be way too much mud splatter...as well as too dark a ringwraith.

I am selling the AP listed on eBay now and I agree that your pics don't look quite right. The brown of the reins in particular stood out. This is most likely a recast.

It could also just be the picture but the horse's head looks very small to me.

Back