White supremacist executed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lejuan

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not sure if this topic contravenes board guidelines for this section? Mods please remove if inappropriate.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/white-...emotivated-dragging-death-20110922-1klsw.html

This story brings up some conflict in myself about how I feel about capital punishment. Philosophically I am opposed to capital punishment for a number of reasons - mostly though my opposition is due to the practical notion that it is not always guaranteed that the person found guilty of the crime is the actual perpetrator. But in this case I can only say I'm glad this guy is dead. I would've executed him twice.

Troy Davis was executed today as well.

The state of Georgia executed convicted murderer Troy Davis on Wednesday in a case that drew international attention because of claims by his advocates that he may have been innocent.

Davis, convicted of the 1989 killing of a police officer, was put to death by lethal injection at 11.08 local time Thursday at a prison in central Georgia after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear a final appeal, a prison official said.

sounds like every other state is using it besides Ca :slap. I will never understand why they just don't hang people anymore. A good ole hangin would save states how many millions? :dunno

I remember hearing about that story... glad he got what he deserved... sort of... it should have been worse.

I have no problem with capital punishment for the ones where its this obvious who did it.

Most of the time when someone does some real sick stuff, it's usually not a one incident kind of thing where some doubt could arise; in those cases I really don't see what the issue is. Pushing religion aside, the way our society works these days, it wouldn't make sense not to use capital punishment. We're a greedy, emotional species, so using some sort of capital punishment not only saves tax payers money, but we also get the satisfaction of seeing some of the worst ppl on this planet get what they deserve. It's win win.

Does capital punishment actually save the state money though? I do remember reading that after all the appeals have been exhausted, many prisoners end up spending years and years incarcerated - and because of the security level this type of incarceration is really costly. Even the procedure itself is expensive. Maybe I read this in anti-capital punishment literature though, it's been a while since I read up on it.

California needs to quit being soft and bring back the death penalty. For those who think long term prison sentences, including life terms, are harsh enough punishments, they are sadly mistaken.

The type of people (with way different mindsets than the "ordinary" citizen) who continually commit crimes and prey on innocent people do just fine in prison...it's a way of life and they aren't usually locked down 24/7 or isolated. They have plenty of "freedoms" (so to speak) and actually do better in there than on the outside.

Way too many fools on death row enjoying even the slightest things that they should never be able to do!

Does capital punishment actually save the state money though? I do remember reading that after all the appeals have been exhausted, many prisoners end up spending years and years incarcerated - and because of the security level this type of incarceration is really costly. Even the procedure itself is expensive. Maybe I read this in anti-capital punishment literature though, it's been a while since I read up on it.

That's the problem with California. Even when they had the DP, the process took so long, most death row inmates died of old age before they could ever be executed. So, it was never cost effective. California needs to revamp their justice system in a big way.

sounds like every other state is using it besides Ca :slap. I will never understand why they just don't hang people anymore. A good ole hangin would save states how many millions? :dunno

It actually costs taxpayers more when implementing the death penalty than it does a life sentence.

of course, all the money for food, and services to keep those people alive adds up quickly considering most spend years and years on death row and never get executed. The procedure itself must cost a boat load just to keep it active, even if their not using it. Knowing what we know about the human body, there are plenty of cost effective ways to execute these people without using so much money to do it.

Last edited:
and here is a good example why the death penalty is a horrible punishment in certain cases:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011...ml?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3|97881

Note the possible part of it. It's stupid ass ____ like this that doesn't make sense. The death penalty should only be used for the most hanice crimes imagineable where there is no possible part of the equation. This country doesn't ever learn from anything, it's quite sad.

Prisoners should be working off the cost of their incarceration, death row or not.

i like that idea.

prison system here in NZ is too "good". the inmate's living condition is much better than that of a middle class worker. like having free board and lodging, 3 meals a day heated rooms for the winter, with leisure and recreational bits...all expense paid courtesy of taxpayers.

come to think of it, its actually is better than my old shatty flat before, cold and cheap with a grumpy absentee landlord. :lol

There's no excuse for taxpayer support of criminals.

The death penalty should only be used for the most heinous crimes imagineable where there is no possible part of the equation. This country doesn't ever learn from anything, it's quite sad.

The law tends to lose its mind when a cop gets injured or killed. I know someone who was involved in a car accident in which the cop was at fault, the cop got injured, and the respective police forces harrassed him to the point of a nervous breakdown. He has been afraid to leave his house for over a year.

I am for the death penalty too, but only where all reasonable doubt has been negated.

In this case, he got what he deserved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back