• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
You lose all rights when you do this. If someone is requesting this it gets them out of the paypal fees, but it also means they are probably trying to scam you.

If a seller asks for payment by gift please report it to a commerce mod or admin.

Last edited:
I disagree they are trying to scam you if they ask for payment as gift (though some might yes), it is just a way to get around fees, but it can lead to problems if your not careful. l have bought at least 100 1/6 parts and paid as a gift and never got screwed, though those were mostly people l knew would not scam me and cheap items. It has been a long time since l have paid as a gift though. Paypal is getting worse so l make sure l am covered in everyway when it comes to me using paypal, even for cheap items these days. Paying for expensive things as a gift, yeah that is dumb, because then you can't report a problem with the transaction and can loose lots of money.

Last edited:
FYI, I accept gift payments even when im not selling anything. :)

I don't think that's a very fair or balanced view Dave. I have brought and sold on here a fair few times and have almost always paid and been paid by gift. I've never scammed or been scammed. What you need is common sense here. If a trusted board member is selling an item and asks for gift payment then I'd say, fair enough, go for it. But if someone new and unproven is asking then think twice. Bit of an alarmist statement really. Have you just been scammed?!

I'll accept gift payments but won't send them. Much rather pay the extra 3% to be safe than sorry later.

:dunno

I accept paypal gift payments and have always sent out stuff without scamming anyone. I will still ask as gift. If they don't like then they just have to add the 3% for paypal fees.

I haven't been screwed with gift payments either, but I also am careful who I deal with too.

I accept paypal gift payments and have always sent out stuff without scamming anyone. I will still ask as gift. If they don't like then they just have to add the 3% for paypal fees.

Yeah - same.

I understand and appreciate Dave making people aware of potential issues with sending payments this way, but for me its just a way of offering a better price to people I am selling to. Otherwise they will just have to pay the fees if they don't trust me.

I don't think that's a very fair or balanced view Dave. I have brought and sold on here a fair few times and have almost always paid and been paid by gift. I've never scammed or been scammed. What you need is common sense here. If a trusted board member is selling an item and asks for gift payment then I'd say, fair enough, go for it. But if someone new and unproven is asking then think twice. Bit of an alarmist statement really. Have you just been scammed?!

Dave is telling you the facts and the truth for your protection... simple. You lose all Buyer Protection if you send as gift for a sales transaction. From their point of view, you are scamming them. Don't cry to Paypal if something goes wrong and you were trying to defraud them. Also, not everyone has to get burned to learn a lesson. Some can take a lesson from others or just common sense.

When you pay or receive money by gift both people are risking getting ripped off, the buyer and the seller can then do whatever they want after the payment is sent. Always pay with the goods option in Paypal, get insurance and signature confirmation, spend the extra money to get it protected.

When you pay or receive money by gift both people are risking getting ripped off, the buyer and the seller can then do whatever they want after the payment is sent. Always pay with the goods option in Paypal, get insurance and signature confirmation, spend the extra money to get it protected.

Exactly. Neither party has to be a scammer, but if the carrier leaves the package on the doorstep and someone steals it, or they lose it, there's often this dispute between buyer and seller about who loses there money. It's the seller's responsibility until it's in a buyer's hands. Insurance puts responsibility onto the carrier, sig confirmation onto the buyer, and non-gift payment protects the buyer in all cases.

Dave is telling you the facts and the truth for your protection... simple. You lose all Buyer Protection if you send as gift for a sales transaction. From their point of view, you are scamming them. Don't cry to Paypal if something goes wrong and you were trying to defraud them. Also, not everyone has to get burned to learn a lesson. Some can take a lesson from others or just common sense.

Well yes, quite. As I said in my post, common sense is what's needed. And my common sense says if I'm buying from a buddy on here, or someone who has been around for ages and has a good track record then I'd say it's a very low risk, and one worth taking for a good deal.
Also I didn't notice any 'facts' in Dave's post. Just a 'dont do it' message. I am fully aware of how it all works, and one of the many good things about this forum is that we get a chance to buy items away from the high eBay prices. I for one wouldn't be able to afford to buy the items I want so readily without the decent folks on here cutting good deals and not looking to make large profits. It's all part of a nice community and makes it's a friendly, helpful place to be. Sure the fee's might not add a huge amount to the final figure, but it
Makes a difference that might, for example, allow someone to buy a body for a custom on here at a good price, and also pick up the hands or boots from eBay to finish it off. I know my 'fun' budget is damn tight, and I really appreciate any little savings that I can get.
Not looking or a row here, just saying that there are always two sides and you need to think before you jump in.
Peace.

There are sellers out there that genuinely think that once they put it in a box and slap some postage on it, it's out of their hands. Things go ok 9 times out of 10 and that one time, they tell the buyer they're SOL. That's not true... unless the buyer sent as 'gift'.

And yes, Dave stated a fact. You lose your rights.

By all means, trade with your friends as you see fit, but know the risks and consequences. Dave would be remiss not to issue the warning.

Back