New Kenshin series & Live-Action Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotretro

Freakalicious
Reaction score
As some of you may know, there is a new Rurouni Kenshin (aka Samurai X) TV anime series in the works, it has already been green-lit. It is not known at this stage if it is a Remake of the original series, or if it is a continuation and will follow the rest of the manga (the original TV series deviated after the kyoto/shishio arc due to the TV series catching up with, and airing, the same time the Manga material was being written).. either way, I am pumped! Kenshin is probably my all-time favourite Manga & Anime series

Also for more Kenshin goodness.. for those who don't know, there is a Kenshin live-action movie in the works! It has already started filming. I know anime (turned live action) movies are normally a disaster but I really have faith in this 1 for a few reasons. First of all, the creator of the manga is supporting both the movie and the cast, and is even helping write it. Secondly it will have a strong budget, as Warner Brothers (Japan) are producing it, and they are even wanting to release it Worldwide as they are hoping for International success, and are already in hopes of creating a series of movies. I also think the actor they have chosen is dead-on Kenshin. The actor does look a little femminine, but Kenshin is meant to have a soft/young/gentle look. of course this transforms in an instance when he becomes the Battousai (aka "Man Slayer"), but don't worry, the actor (Takeru Sato) has portrayed a Samurai in a TV show and he was great. Even the creator's sentiment was that the actor "has the looks and stature to be a proper Kenshin."

takeru+sato+as+himura+kenshin.png

cdcf8a9af98f19cb12fc1e250d1908571240078696_full.jpg

454555.jpg

Actually the creator of the manga was approached quite a few times from Hollywood over the years (with generous offers), but he said he wasn't interested as he wanted it to be exact to the source material (ie. not another Dragonball movie :p). Also they've held off until now, because CGI and fiming techniques are finally where they want it to be. They've put alot of thought and care into it, and have the right people involved. Trust me, it is all sounding good

Lastly, I am hopoing for Hot Toys to pick up the license upon release. I know it's getting ahead of myself, but realistically I can already see them picking this 1 up. For starters it will be huge in Asia - and the US, Australia, Europe etc will love it as well. They also picked up Goemon which is a similar type of movie (and Kenshin will be bigger!), so if Hot Toys give the same treatment to kenshin it would be great. Also Enterbay did Storm Warriors which is a similar style of movie, so I'm sure we will see some cool stuff released. Need to see the movie first, but I really do have faith

Both the anime series & the Movie are set to be released in 2012.

Last edited:
Rurouni Kenshin is probably my favorite anime of all-time. Many come close, but at the end of the day, I probably have to give this series the title. The Kyoto Arc was phenomenal and the OVA for this series was nothing short of beautiful IMO, from an artistic standpoint.

This is a blast from the past for me. I haven't picked up my boxed sets from this show in so long. I'm really interested to see how this new stuff pans out. I hope it does the original justice.

Thanks for the post. Please keep this thread updated!

Rurouni Kenshin is probably my favorite anime of all-time. Many come close, but at the end of the day, I probably have to give this series the title. The Kyoto Arc was phenomenal and the OVA for this series was nothing short of beautiful IMO, from an artistic standpoint.

This is a blast from the past for me. I haven't picked up my boxed sets from this show in so long. I'm really interested to see how this new stuff pans out. I hope it does the original justice.

Thanks for the post. Please keep this thread updated!

Same here. RK/SX is my all time favorite anim. I don't know if the new series is a reboot or a continuation but it damn well better have the Jinchuu Arc. Either way I'm stoked. Not real interested in the live action movie but I'll probably end up seeing it.

My pleasure, it is great to see some more Kenshin fans.. I feel the same way about the Kyoto arc and OVA, Chapter.. if I find anything worthwhile I will be sure to keep this thread updated.. and Darth I wanted it to be in entirety too

Update Numero 1 :D

From here on this thread could have "spoilers". I will not spoil plot lines etc, just maybe some set and cast (in outfit) pics

These photos are from the set of Kenshin:

The outside of the Dojo:

2073bda278d68fcd79da28c61db6e7b71314812397_full.jpg

The inside of the Dojo:
e3f99f66b4f6650dd1b6ce76477602d11314812353_full.jpg

and the best for last :D

Kenshin's sakaba sword and Sanasouke's Zanba sword. Confirmation of Sansouke! Now I just hope for Saito, and Soujiro (a favourite of mine - but doubt they'll tap into that in the 1st movie).. but give me Saito and I am happy :D

9763fb386fae9b960d5a9d123c2ee25b1314812480_full.jpg

and it is all looks close to source material! - bear in mind that on film it will all look more "natural" and dramatic (lighting etc), these are just set pics (not production pics). This movie has great potential, it has a beautiful story, the samurai theme and mentality can really be tapped into here.

The manga creator watching the set to make sure it all goes accordingly :D:

rurouni-kenshin-movie-01.jpg

Last edited:
and here who is playing Kaoru, her name is Emi Takei:

Emi_Takei.jpg
936full-emi-takei.jpg

emi-takei--00756334.jpg
Kaoru2.jpg

I should also mention that I read in an interview the actor playing Kenshin is a big fan of the series, having grown up with it in high school, and knows it is a big task/responsibility and wants to do the role justice

As for the Anime - According to the Japanese site Comic Natalie, the new kenshin series will be a new two-part remake of the Kyoto arc, with the first part coming out in Japan in December.. All the cast will be the same for the Japanese version except for Saito.. Saito, Shishio, Aoshi etc will all be returning.. it will have the same musical composers too which is great cuz I loved the track they did for the anime series.. new writer this time though.. but i'm sure it will be great, Kyoto was the best stuff! taken straight from the manga.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this robotretro. I am a big Kenshin fan too and I am excited to see this made into a live action movie.

It's official.. Saito Hajime will be in the movie!!

At least it isn't one of those movies where they use the property's title and then don't even have any of the characters

This movie is officially made for me now that Saito has been confirmed..

The actors name is Eguchi Yosuke:

8126c9f4b12d5d960f93bfea5b5d5bca1317689550_full.jpg
7a8add1a4dce0824d4d60ac4d9758e3b1317691313_full.jpg

I hope he grows the front bangs for the role.. I'm sure he will, as they're aiming to be as close to source material as possible

d4a5b5d2e088883fed69a9f27d8e69531317690200_full.jpg
160e2d328c7bf95cc91b10aa95d9d73e1317690235_full.jpg

(if you recall from the beginning of the anime series - Udon Jine)

Also, here is another interesting piece of info:

"...Kagawa Teruyuki will be “Takeda Kanryu” who is a cold-blooded industrialist. One of the most memorable scenes of this character would be where Takeda shoots the Gadling gun at his mansion, and it will be shown in the movie."

1e7984c41a7508884d542758888771911317692509_full.jpg

i.e. confirmation of an epic scene straight from the anime, remaining faithful to kenshin.. I have a feeling this movie will be incredible

The cast have expressed their sentiment to give the audience an idea of Samurai/Japanese culture/mentality through the movie (which is what the manga/anime did extremely well)

I for one can't wait to see their outfits

Hot Toys PLEASE get this license!!

Last edited:
this is nice, i wouldn't mind the subtitles. they stayed true to the source material and didn't sell out. samurai x rawks. :]

Exactly man.. this is about as close to live action anime as we can get.. now let's see what they can do

Idk this looks like death note all over again. None of them look like the characters.

1053970248_raSanosuke.JPG

wonder how he looks in the film. his zanba sword is kinda small there on the set props, compared to this.

Idk this looks like death note all over again. None of them look like the characters.

that's different, the live movie creators taught death note was from a horror genre. :lol

haha god no, death note was horrible, also low budget

this is very high budget.. also the creator etc are on board to make sure it goes exact

Call me optimisitic but I have a good feeling

Also bear in mind that these aren't set pics, just cast pics...they will look alot different with their wigs, right mannerism, etc

I can see Saito having a bit of a hardened look, so he's not too bad.. I hope he's shaped up a bit more since then though and is a bit more gaunt looking, and has a very still/serious look.

I for one haven't liked any look of the cast except for Kenshin.. they don't look like the characters to me and confuse my eyes lol.. but I really can't judge til I see some official pics or a clip

I actually think the choice of Kenshin was a stroke of genius from what I've seen of him (in clips), so I have faith in the rest of their cast choice

That zanba does look a bit small but the pic is on a very funny angle/perception, and still need to keep it realistic - but at least it's lending itself to the manga weapon.. I wish they had chosen someone american for Sansouke, I just think he'd have suit it, even though he's supposed to be Japanese..

From everything I've heard though this is still shaping up very nicely

Death note didn't even follow the story or characters properly

Seems interesting.

I kind of wish they would remake all of Rurouni Kenshin in the same style as the Samurai X OVAs. It didn't have all those special moves and I liked the style and designs a lot more too.

None of them look like the characters.
I for one haven't liked any look of the cast except for Kenshin.. they don't look like the characters to me and confuse my eyes lol.. but I really can't judge til I see some official pics or a clip

Doesn't help that the Japanese characters in most animes don't even look Japanese including Rurouni Kenshin.

Your right. Most anime character's dont look asain at all. kenshin doesnt look asain at all imo.

Did any of you guys watch the anime with subs?

That should help break the barrier being an international movie, and it should have a very similar 'feel' to it

If you watched Storm Riders, (A Man Called) Hero, Goemon, etc they were all visually awesome movies for their time.. and they haven't felt technology is up to speed until now -- this year, so this 1 will be more impressive.. I'm sure it will be a blast

Have faith :)

It's official.. Saito Hajime will be in the movie!!

At least it isn't one of those movies where they use the property's title and then don't even have any of the characters

This movie is officially made for me now that Saito has been confirmed..

The actors name is Eguchi Yosuke:

8126c9f4b12d5d960f93bfea5b5d5bca1317689550_full.jpg
7a8add1a4dce0824d4d60ac4d9758e3b1317691313_full.jpg

I hope he grows the front bangs for the role.. I'm sure he will, as they're aiming to be as close to source material as possible

d4a5b5d2e088883fed69a9f27d8e69531317690200_full.jpg
160e2d328c7bf95cc91b10aa95d9d73e1317690235_full.jpg

(if you recall from the beginning of the anime series - Udon Jine)

Also, here is another interesting piece of info:

"...Kagawa Teruyuki will be “Takeda Kanryu” who is a cold-blooded industrialist. One of the most memorable scenes of this character would be where Takeda shoots the Gadling gun at his mansion, and it will be shown in the movie."

1e7984c41a7508884d542758888771911317692509_full.jpg

i.e. confirmation of an epic scene straight from the anime, remaining faithful to kenshin.. I have a feeling this movie will be incredible

The cast have expressed their sentiment to give the audience an idea of Samurai/Japanese culture/mentality through the movie (which is what the manga/anime did extremely well)

I for one can't wait to see their outfits

Hot Toys PLEASE get this license!!

So Kanryu Takeda will be in this. I hope Aoshi and the Oniwabanshu are in this too. Aoshi is my 3rd favorite character next to Shishio and Saito.

So did they confirm Jine "Kurogasa" Udo will be in this. He was the first real villain in the series to be able to go head to head with Kenshin and one of my favorites.

So Kanryu Takeda will be in this. I hope Aoshi and the Oniwabanshu are in this too. Aoshi is my 3rd favorite character next to Shishio and Saito.

So did they confirm Jine "Kurogasa" Udo will be in this. He was the first real villain in the series to be able to go head to head with Kenshin and one of my favorites.

Yes the did confirm he will be in it.. he is the bottom actor displayed above..

I'm with you there.. Aoshi was cool..

Well actually, I am already greatful to here confirmation on the characters they have already announced

My other favourite apart from shishio and saito, is Soujiro.. however they want to make a series of movies, so I'd imagine if this movie is a success (which they are really aiming for), the next movie will be kyoto arc (drool icon x 1000 :D).. I think we'll be suprised how closely this follows the manga.. my guess is it will follow up until where Kenshin and Saito have that last fight in the dojo (prior to kyoto), with flashbacks starring kenshin and saito too

Back