1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Batman 1989: 1/6th scale Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

I think it looks great.
I am buying it. It doesn't have to be perfect.
Why?
Because...
michael_keaton-basinger.jpg

"It's not a perfect world."

"It doesn't need to be a perfect world."

:exactly::exactly:

I swear some of you have this ability to ruin some gorgeous pieces. You find a piece you like read a few posts and then all of the sudden you the only thing you can focus on is the one tiny little details that isn't 100% perfect.:dunno

Re: Hot Toys Batman 1989: 1/6th scale Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

:exactly::exactly:

I swear some of you have this ability to ruin some gorgeous pieces. You find a piece you like read a few posts and then all of the sudden you the only thing you can focus on is the one tiny little details that isn't 100% perfect.:dunno

There are details that are off on this that have nothing to do with size or cost. They are simply inaccuracies, like the front edge of the rear quarters not being rounded enough, or the lights not being set far enough into the body.

NOTICING flaws does not ruin the piece. The people who sculpted this with these totally unnecessary flaws ruined the otherwise "gorgeous" piece.

Why would someone spend so much time on a sculpt of one of the most iconic cars ever and overlook such details of the car when it would be so expensive to produce, and so expensive to buy? Due diligence was not done, at least on the prototype. I suppose they COULD rework these areas before production to improve it considerably. The fact that such flaws exist suggests to me that the people who sculpted those areas didn't notice because they aren't familiar enough with the Batmobile's shape, because they don't have enough passion for it. What other reason could there be? However, the fact that it a whole year wait suggests that very likely some reworking is being done.

These flaws are either there or they are not there. If you look at this thing long enough(As in having it in your home and admiring it in your collection) you will will see all of these flaws eventually. Would you rather these flaws be brought to people's attention NOW, when there is still time to fix them before production, or AFTER they have all been produced and it is in your collection at home? If enough people complain, they just might get fixed.

Last edited:

There are details that are off on this that have nothing to do with size or cost. They are simply inaccuracies, like the front edge of the rear quarters not being rounded enough, or the lights not being set far enough into the body.

NOTICING flaws does not ruin the piece. The people who sculpted this with these totally unnecessary flaws ruined the otherwise "gorgeous" piece.

Why would someone spend so much time on a sculpt of one of the most iconic cars ever and overlook such details of the car when it would be so expensive to produce, and so expensive to buy? Due diligence was not done, at least on the prototype. I suppose they COULD rework these areas before production to improve it considerably. The fact that such flaws exist suggests to me that the people who sculpted those areas didn't notice because they aren't familiar enough with the Batmobile's shape, because they don't have enough passion for it. What other reason could there be? However, the fact that it a whole year wait suggests that very likely some reworking is being done.

These flaws are either there or they are not there. If you look at this thing long enough(As in having it in your home and admiring it in your collection) you will will see all of these flaws eventually. Would you rather these flaws be brought to people's attention NOW, when there is still time to fix them before production, or AFTER they have all been produced and it is in your collection at home? If enough people complain, they just might get fixed.

:exactly::goodpost:
Great posting man.
I agree with you.

I bet the scoops on the 1:1 Batmobile are round and the longer cut in them is making them look eliptical. It's an optical illusion due to how they're cut.

I bet the scoops on the 1:1 Batmobile are round and the longer cut in them is making them look eliptical. It's an optical illusion due to how they're cut.

They are cut elliptical and are seen as elliptical from the side, but as you walk towards the front of the car and look at them, they look more round. That they look round when viewed more from the front is the optical illusion.

Well, it looks like the 89' Batmobile to me, that's all that matters when I look at it.

They finally charged me for the NRD today. Now the waiting begins...

Yeah, there are quite a bit of differences but it's not too bad. The one issue that stands out most is it's simply bulkier near the cockpit to allow for the figure. I'm surprised at how much a difference that does make to the overall flow. It's even more pronounced on the shields with the dome being alot shorter.

I think there's plenty to work on here and I'll be looking forward to production pics.

I'm still getting it.

Thank you. In that case, I might continue.

I found 2 more things wrong with it. The side intake scoops are too short, and too round. They should be longer from front to back, and have an elongated shape that points forward somewhat. Since those scoops are too short and they are in proportion to the rest of the side of the car, that serves to indicate that the car is too short. The headlight buckets are not recessed enough. They are barely recessed at all. On the real one, they are set at least an inch, if not two inches deep into the car. You can see a step in the bodywork where the lights are on the real one. On the HT, it is practically flush with the body. Also, you can see that the HT chin spoiler on the fenders have too sharp an edge. It is more rounded off on the real car. That is another unnecessary inaccuracy.

As I told you in the PM (just repeating it here for everyone else's benefit) the side scoops apparent shortness does not indicate that the car is too short. Yes, the scoop is rounder than the more elongated one on the real car, but that is because it is taller relative to it's length, not because it is shorter lengthwise. The entire sides of the HT Batmobile appear to be taller, probably to better accommodate the 1:6 scale Keaton figure.

The 1:1 scale Batmobile could not accommodate the 1:1 scale fully accurately costumed Keaton without modification. On that scale, they made the modification on the cowl by shortening the ears by several inches to get them to "fit" with each other. On the HT versions, they apparently made the modification on the car increasing the height of the sides by the equivalent of several "1/6 scale" inches.

Something had to give to make them "fit".

As I told you in the PM (just repeating it here for everyone else's benefit) the side scoops apparent shortness does not indicate that the car is too short. Yes, the scoop is rounder than the more elongated one on the real car, but that is because it is taller relative to it's length, not because it is shorter lengthwise. The entire sides of the HT Batmobile appear to be taller, probably to better accommodate the 1:6 scale Keaton figure.

The 1:1 scale Batmobile could not accommodate the 1:1 scale fully accurately costumed Keaton without modification. On that scale, they made the modification on the cowl by shortening the ears by several inches to get them to "fit" with each other. On the HT versions, they apparently made the modification on the car increasing the height of the sides by the equivalent of several "1/6 scale" inches.

Something had to give to make them "fit".

I see a 6-8 inch discrepancy to scale regarding the scoops, whether they be too short or too tall on the HT. His ears weren't shortened that much to get him to fit. More like 3 or 4 inches. If you say it is too tall, doesn't that also indicate the car is too narrow and too short as well? By the way, if HT WERE to address the ears, wouldn't the best thing to do be to make another head for Batman with shorter ears? It might also be cheaper than making the whole car taller, and it would be more accurate in every way.

I found this interesting link

https://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batmobile_(Burton_Films)

With the following data...

"When Jay Ohrberg built the Six Flags theme park versions of the Batmobile, he narrowed their rear quarters by about 4" on each side to allow the car to be transported easier as the width of the original Batmobile's hind quarters cause the wheels to hang over the side of a typical transport truck. "

This makes me wonder what version was copied.

Also it says
"The scene in Batman 1989 of the Batmobile making its way to the Batcave was partially filmed using a remote controlled Batmobile-model, driven through a miniaturized forest set. "

Which lends credence to my idea of having an RC Batmobile in 1/6th scale. It's practically canon. :)

Last edited:

I see a 6-8 inch discrepancy to scale regarding the scoops, whether they be too short or too tall on the HT. His ears weren't shortened that much to get him to fit. More like 3 or 4 inches. If you say it is too tall, doesn't that also indicate the car is too narrow and too short as well? By the way, if HT WERE to address the ears, wouldn't the best thing to do be to make another head for Batman with shorter ears? It might also be cheaper than making the whole car taller, and it would be more accurate in every way.

No, of course not. Let's say the car is exactly the right length and width and height to be exactly in 1/6 scale. If they change it by increasing the height only...then only the height measurement is now out of scale, by being too large. The length and width may appear, relative to the height to be too small, but if the math for the length and width check out...as it does, then the car is not too short or too narrow, it is just an illusion created by the height.

As for the ears, I can only guess that HT didn't have the foresight to plan for the compromises necessary if they made a Batmobile when the Keaton Batman figure was first green lit.

The fact that the figure has already shipped, and the release date for the Batmobile is still a more than a year away is indicative of the large gap in time between the research, development and production of the two. I doubt that they were being worked on at the same exact time by the same team, and if there was overlap, it was most likely when the Keaton figure was closer to completion and the Batmobile was first starting out. Also, more collectors are likely to buy the figure than the car. All of this leads to it being more likely that they would make compromises on the car, than the already produced and very close to shipping figure.

The good news is, since the car's ship date is more than a year away, it is plenty of time for them to now make modifications to the car, that may not have been ready when the promo shots were shown.

I really do hope HT tweak and correct the flaws.

No, of course not. Let's say the car is exactly the right length and width and height to be exactly in 1/6 scale. If they change it by increasing the height only...then only the height measurement is now out of scale, by being too large. The length and width may appear, relative to the height to be too small, but if the math for the length and width check out...as it does, then the car is not too short or too narrow, it is just an illusion created by the height.

Like I said, even if we were to say that the length and width were correct for the scale, the height difference between the Batmobile ears and the standard ears isn't enough to account for that much of a difference in the height of the car, which as evidenced by the scoops, is at least 6 to 8 inches to scale.

As for the ears, I can only guess that HT didn't have the foresight to plan for the compromises necessary if they made a Batmobile when the Keaton Batman figure was first green lit.

The fact that the figure has already shipped, and the release date for the Batmobile is still a more than a year away is indicative of the large gap in time between the research, development and production of the two. I doubt that they were being worked on at the same exact time by the same team, and if there was overlap, it was most likely when the Keaton figure was closer to completion and the Batmobile was first starting out. Also, more collectors are likely to buy the figure than the car. All of this leads to it being more likely that they would make compromises on the car, than the already produced and very close to shipping figure.

The good news is, since the car's ship date is more than a year away, it is plenty of time for them to now make modifications to the car, that may not have been ready when the promo shots were shown.

Is there a reason why HT couldn't have included a Batman head with shorter ears WITH the Batmobile, if indeed the fit of the ears was that critical? After all, Batman had an extra cowl so he could fit inside the Batmobile. Why not the figure, too? It seems like an elegant solution to me..

Sorry to quote in a new post, but I wanted to make this clear, and this involves more a little math...

I cannot find many sources for the Batmobile's height. There is only length and width measurement in the Official Movie Book that I quoted before.

The AMT/Ertl box says it is 51.2 inches tall.

The Hot Toys version is 9 inches tall according to their specs. Since that is supposed to be 1/6th scale, it means that they are basing in off of the car being 54 inches tall.

Inaccurate height? YES. I admit that.

How inaccurate? 54 inches - 51.2 inches = 2.8 inches

Do you understand now why I say it is best to back it up with the math? You are right, it is too tall. But what you see is clearly exaggerated...your eyes are deceiving you by how much it is off by.

It turns out, it is off by less than the amount of compromise you guessed would be necessary to get his ears to fit.

You know what ?
They should include a shorter ears headsculpt with the Batmobile,
and fix all the problems on the actual Batmobile.

In fact, in the filming process of the 1989 Batman movie, they had that problem where the ears are too long and the seats of the Batmobile can't be lowered any lower, so what they did was they made a cowl with shorter ears for the scenes where Batman is in the Batmobile.

HT should do the same. This way the shape of the Batmobile can look right and at the same time batman can fit and sit inside the Batmobile.

Ding ding ding ding !!!!!!!! bingo !!!!

giggity !

You know what ?
They should include a shorter ears headsculpt with the Batmobile,
and fix all the problems on the actual Batmobile.

In fact, in the filming process of the 1989 Batman movie, they had that problem where the ears are too long and the seats of the Batmobile can't be lowered any lower, so what they did was they made a cowl with shorter ears for the scenes where Batman is in the Batmobile.

HT should do the same. This way the shape of the Batmobile can look right and at the same time batman can fit and sit inside the Batmobile.

Ding ding ding ding !!!!!!!! bingo !!!!

giggity !

Yeah, both I and Blackthornone already mentioned that. The problem I think HT has is that they researched, developed and built the prototype Batmobile on a separate schedule, by a separate team than the one that worked on the Keaton figure. Hence the large gap of more than a year between the releases. Maybe there was some overlap, but at this point, the entire car would have to be redone from scratch.

And still be done in enough time to produce enough units to meet the scheduled May 2013 ship date.

All new expense to start over, and a rush job too (unless they have the budget and resources to shift to doing this---not likely with the amount of projects on their plate)

...Or they can release their "good enough" (for 99% of us anyway ;)) version. Maybe there will be slight modifications, but I would be surprised if they have the time, money, resources, and available talent to pull from other projects to start this over to satisfy 100% of us...and still get it out by May 2013 at that price point.

Yeah, both I and Blackthornone already mentioned that. The problem I think HT has is that they researched, developed and built the prototype Batmobile on a separate schedule, by a separate team than the one that worked on the Keaton figure. Hence the large gap of more than a year between the releases. Maybe there was some overlap, but at this point, the entire car would have to be redone from scratch.

And still be done in enough time to produce enough units to meet the scheduled May 2013 ship date.

All new expense to start over, and a rush job too (unless they have the budget and resources to shift to doing this---not likely with the amount of projects on their plate)

...Or they can release their "good enough" (for 99% of us anyway ;)) version. Maybe there will be slight modifications, but I would be surprised if they have the time, money, resources, and available talent to pull from other projects to start this over to satisfy 100% of us...and still get it out by May 2013 at that price point.

I'm just surprised that Warner Bros. and DC approved it.
but I guess, oh well we will wait and see.

Back