Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some alternatives I spied today at IKEA:

The old standby Billy has new doors available - these are identical in construction to the former Tombo doors sold for the Besta. Available in full height of half height. Just like the old Tombo, they come with a removable panel and clear glass. The other door available at the moment is Oxberg and it seems that Morebo is gone.

IKEA Morliden doors for Billy Bookcases - full height and half height.

billy-morliden-bookcase__0255325_PE399438_S4.JPG
morliden-glass-door__0252176_PE390877_S4.JPG

IKEA Oxberg doors for Billy Bookcases - available in different colors - full height only with either full glass or half glass.

oxberg-glass-door__0252214_PE390929_S4.JPG

An interesting option for wall-mounting is the Galant wall cabinet with sliding doors - multiple colors available. This is about the size of a Detolf on its side.

galant-wall-cabinet-with-sliding-doors__0132751_PE287619_S4.JPG

And finally, new kitchen cabinet doors open a wide range of new possibilities. These are similar to the new Glassvik for Besta. Available in multiple sizes to fit on the various different standard kitchen cabinet frames (IKEA Akurum) - 15x30, 18x30, 30x30, 36x30, 15x39, 18x39, 30x39, 36x39 (30 & 36" widths require two doors).

rubrik-glass-door__0146247_PE305289_S4.JPG
rubrik.jpg

Last edited:
I like those kitchen cabinet doors, the different sizes are great. You install kitchen cabinets around the wall, just like in a kitchen, and still have all that useable floor space unlike using tradition floor standing cabinets. If I wasn't renting I would have considered doing something like this, but when you rent the less holes in the walls the better.

Sorry if I posted in two threads... I just want to to make sure my questions get answer.

So do these require heavy lifting while assembling? I plan on putting these together with my sister and just want to make sure she can handle it. I know IKEA says two people are required, but could I do it myself?

I imagine one person could do it. I assembled my PAX system by myself.

About two weeks ago, I went to Ikea and purchased the Billy/Morliden bookcase.
billy-morliden-bookcase__0255325_PE399438_S4.JPG
I'm still working on getting it set up, but I'm wondering exactly what is the best way to feed the dioders through from the back.
Do most people cut a hole/flap in the backing board large enough to feed the lights through or is there a better way of going about it?

About two weeks ago, I went to Ikea and purchased the Billy/Morliden bookcase.
View attachment 136331
I'm still working on getting it set up, but I'm wondering exactly what is the best way to feed the dioders through from the back.
Do most people cut a hole/flap in the backing board large enough to feed the lights through or is there a better way of going about it?

I drilled holes in the backing board and ran the wire through.

I've noticed that these Ikea cases ( DETOLF Glass-door cabinet - IKEA ) seem to be a popular option and I was wondering if anyone that has them could tell me the height and width of each of the levels of the case? Basically, how tall and wide is each little square in it :D THanks!! These seem to be the most affordable option when it comes to cases of this quality.

Finally get my Pax done. Spend almost entire week night with my wife to put them together. The final result is just GREAT. Now I can unpack all my goodies to fill these empty space. I didn't put these against the wall but leave about 10 inch gap so I can get access to all the cables on the back in case I need to change any setups. Cause you know it's impossible to move these anymore.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414214652.104262.jpg
Make sure remove those protection films at last, so you don't have to spend whole day clean your figure prints.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414214737.828475.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414214510.526395.jpg
Each shelf is about 28-29 inch tall. Big enough for any PF.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414214751.849091.jpg
Try to keep those wires as clean as possible ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414214767.228591.jpg
Hide a switch on bottom to turn on and off all lights.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414214945.977327.jpg
Make sure get these wire organizer from ikea which make the entire setup much nicer and cleaner. And glue these to each shelves but not the side panel! So when you want to change the shelf hight later they won't annoying you.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414214999.264706.jpg
Still looks so empty! Too tired tonight, need to go to sleep!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414215088.006794.jpg
And I have all these baby to unpack.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414215128.958831.jpg

Good nite everybody!

Really impressive job Mikeclon. You did something I haven't seen before, making an easily accessible cut out for the power strip on the bottom. What's your plan to avoid bending shelves?

Mikeclon, what LED are those? INDERA? Or the longer STRIBERG? INDERA gives a yellow glow which is weird for my Besta

Really impressive job Mikeclon. You did something I haven't seen before, making an easily accessible cut out for the power strip on the bottom. What's your plan to avoid bending shelves?

So far I didn't do anything to reinforce the shelves yet. The heaviest one might be the shelf holding PFs. Might add some aluminum c-channel later.

Very impressive having them all lined up on one wall like that, wish I had a wall long enough to do that! FYI I had my power packs for the lights taped on the back but they eventually fell down and I used nails to hold them up on the wall. Great idea leaving some space behind them too. All around awesome display. :clap

Back