Spartacus on Starz (spoilers for US aired episodes!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

Not cheap enough for me. If it was $25 I'd buy it, but I keep hoping that Black Friday will bring me some good deals. This set is on my list so hopefully I can get it on the cheap.

CONFIRMED: Starz To Recast Andy Whitfield In ‘Spartacus: Blood And Sand’

Last week it was revealed that Starz was in the midst of making a very difficult decision regarding their hit show Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Their star, Andy Whitfield, has been battling non-Hodgkins lymphoma in an attempt to return for a second season of the show, but a recent setback has his doctors recommending another round of aggressive treatments. This forced the network to look at their tough options: delay longer, recast Whitfield, or cancel the show altogether.

It appears that Starz has made their decision, and though it seemed to be the most likely choice, it will take a while for fans to accept it. An official casting call has been sent out, looking for that all-important actor to fill the massive sandals that Whitfield created in the great first season. The notice details that they’re looking for someone in their mid to late 30s who can speak in an authentic British accent, can effectively portray the “smart, intense, and passionate” title role, and who’s able to sign a three-year contract.

At first the option to wait it out sounded like one of the options, but with this news it looks like the only options they were really considering were to recast or cancel the show. This is a little hard to swallow for those of us who had hopes of them doing a season concentrating on another character and seeing how things looked for season 3. Nevertheless, this is a business and recasting is what Starz feels is their best bet. There’s no doubt that as much as this will break the fans’ collective hearts, recasting and getting more Spartacus is a much better option than losing the show completely. It will take time to warm up to whomever they bring in, but over time, viewers will surely warm up to the new face.

It’s worth keeping in mind that Andy Whitfield was completely behind this decision, and for all we know it was his decision to step away so the show could move forward. As reported earlier, Starz has made it very clear that Whitfield will still remain employed on the show in a yet-to-be determined role — a very admirable gesture by the network.

Knowing this now, let your voices be heard: who out there fits the casting description that you’d like to see take on the role of Spartacus?

-----------
I have mixed feelings on this. I don't like re-casting, but I am also really interested in seeing another season of Spartacus. Not sure who else I can see in this role. It will have to be someone who hasn't made it "big" yet. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone that fits the physical requirements. The tricky part will be making sure that person also has the acting chops for a lead role. Anyone have any suggestions for a recast?

Sam Worthington would be the best replacement because they freaking look pretty similar. Not that they will be able to get him but it would be awesome!

I was thinking of someone like Chris Hemsworth (Thor), but like Sam Worthington, he is probably already too big for a tv series. I'm guessing it will be a relatively unknown actor who ends up getting the role.

I was thinking of someone like Chris Hemsworth (Thor), but like Sam Worthington, he is probably already too big for a tv series. I'm guessing it will be a relatively unknown actor who ends up getting the role.

Which I am cool with AS LONG as the new guy keeps the same character Andy developed. I don't want some n00b coming in and ____ing up everything I like about the character.

I think we were going to see a lot of evolution to the Spartacus character anyway just because his role changes so greatly. I don't really think you have to worry about the replacement keeping what Andy developed. At least, I hope everyone doesn't blame a change in character dictated by the facts of history on the change in actor.

Not interested in watching with somebody else in the role. Without Andy Whitfield coming back, it just wouldn't be the same.

The writing is what made the first season so great IMO. Stephen DeKnight (former "student" of Joss Whedon) is the front runner on the show and he and his writing team did a great job of building multiple storylines with several twists along the way that all culminated in the awesome season finale. So as long as the writing team stays intact, then I am willing to see how well the recast goes in S2. Like the article said, no one is happy that Andy Whitfield had to leave the role, but over time the audience will hopefully warm to the recast providing the writing stays strong and the actor has decent acting skills.

thats how i feel. as good as Andy Whitfield was, I don't think he owns the character in the way that, I don't know, Neil Patrick Harris owns Barney.

thats how i feel. as good as Andy Whitfield was, I don't think he owns the character in the way that, I don't know, Neil Patrick Harris owns Barney.

Really? I disagree with that but I respect your opinion of course. :)

Not sure what it is for me but I just loved Andy's portrayal of Spartacus.

By Jupiter's ____, apparently they're considering Wentworth Miller for the role of Spartacus! :horror :monkey4

By Jupiter's ____, apparently they're considering Wentworth Miller for the role of Spartacus! :horror :monkey4

1271420630wentworth_bulge1.jpg

:slap

Back