Grond is coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grond was made by Dave Tremont and Leonard Ellis. Over at the Flame of Udûn Weta forum Leonard posted this the other day:

Okidokes, Dave and I made him, Jules painted him. The base is same as Rivendell/BD/MT (45.5 x 31cm). The pup himself is 34cm (13.5") long. Too soon for price and edition size.

I then aksed about the height and the reply was:

21cm from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the brazier

Glassary over at the Flame of Udûn managed to speak to Mike Gonzo at Weta and asked about details of Grond and this is something he said:

He said this will probably not be up for sale till next Oct/Nov but that it was too awesome to keep under wraps and they had to get it displayed to show the fans.

The plaque does say Q2 but who knows, perhaps it will be available for pre-order in Q2 and will start shipping in Q4.

Finally here's a great comparison pic with Smaug the Terrible from Glassary:

2cerpee.jpg

Man, this is gorgeous.

LOVE IT.

My only gripe is that I wish it was small enough to fit in a Detolf. If it's on the same size base as Rivendell, that means it's slithgly too big to fit. Nuts.

Still, though ... GORGEOUS.

I figure I'll eventually need to custom make shelving for my ME stuff. Smaug, BD,MT and Grond are not small, and with other large pieces hinted at on the horizon it just seems like a better idea and forgo all the Ikea shelving.

This is my next Weta order unless some crazy discounts or ES are lowered alot, or if its OE

I don't see how you can have flex pay for in stock only ...crazy for weta to not to have it for preorders. ..

It comes across as if they do the Flex pays to help themselves move in-stock product and not to help people secure their preorders. They probably don't feel like absorbing whatever the extra processing costs are unless its to clear space. Take Smaug for example. It's on sale and with a flex pay. They want it out of the warehouse.

Yes, that would make sense. I got the Balrog at a discount, sold it for the same discount without to much hassle. Funny how that works sometimes. Even though BD environment eventually sold out I think Weta will consider their ed. sizes on high dollar items. 500 on a highly anticipated piece sounds about right especially when it's high dollar.

People are already making tough, tough choices. BBTS sold out of MOS preorders but not Grond. Thranduil on Elk looks spectacular. Now Gollum in 1/3 scale looks excellent as well.

In the end, Figures > Enviroments regardless of ES.

We are all trying to prioritize and flex pays make it easier for some. Edition sizes matter but popularity and focus sometimes throw the ES speculation off. It's all very hard to speculate.

BBTS tends to sell out quicker on most preorders, well before most other places. Not sure if they just don't get many or people preorder so they can cancel later with no NRD.

I'd like to get this, but not sure I want to spend $800+ on it.

Back