Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG by Bioware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend I made on swtor told me all about Galaxies. I never really cared for it..but wow.

It must have truly been incredible in it's early days...
He said one of his happiest moments was when it took him two hours to walk from one side of Tattooine to the other. Said that bounty hunters could get bounties on actual players, you could go on Rancor/Krayt Dragon hunts, crafters could set up shop in a major city and have their droids advertise for them, could raise all types of animals from babies as a creature handler, and even ride them, you could BUILD your own houses/cities..etc.

That game sounds like a real life in the SW universe.

Your friend was right, I have some really GREAT memories playing that with about 4-5 of my real life friends, we had our own little small guild and it just felt like you were in the Star Wars Universe.

You could build your own town on most planets, build houses, architect was a profession, decorate your guild hall, display trophys on your walls, purchase stormtrooper and ATST NPCs to guard your town, set up shuttleports and vendors, and when other players visited your city and spent credits, your town made money. You could have elections and have a town mayor and so much more!

I was a creature handler from launch and I loved it. You could work with players who chose bio-engineering as a profession and cross animal DNA to make pets with unique attributes. There were cantinas where you could go if you just wanted to hang out and they were always full of players, a lot of players who didnt care for combat chose classes as dancers or musicians and they made their money from other players tips.

Player bounties, krayt hunts, Nightsister hunts, man that was an amazing game before they changed it up.

I have over 800 screenshots from when I played with my friends, pvping, our town, krayt hunts or just goofing around. From time to time I go through them for a smile.
Towards the end of when it was still good they would have NPCs like Vader appear in a major town with a whole entourage of troops and give a huge speech.
Players actually cared and gathered around. Never seen anyone give a damn about what an NPC is saying Warcraft.

And the quality of players that I remember on my server, there was one guy who was a tailor, that was it, that was his class/trade, he didnt care about combat, or exploring, he logged in and found joy in making outfits for players, dude never killed a thing, thats what he enjoyed doing. SWG had whole systems in place for players to enjoy and level classes that had nothing to do with killing things over and over to level up.

Still play Wow and enjoy it, but SWG knocked its socks off in its prime.

It was right when Warcraft came out and they did a huge "Combat Revamp" where they tried to copy Warcraft's style of play.

I remember literally logging in one day and my creature handler character had all of her pets that I spent tons of credits on removed and I had to choose a new class.

From there began the mass exodus and a giant was toppled.

What a shame.

Last edited:
Came to a decision the other day with a buddy of mine that I think I'm done with this game. I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY love it to death, but it's just too time consuming and I don't want to grind the hundreds of hours it requires to play it effectively :monkey2:monkey2 Any of you guys feel this way ???

F that! I told myself that when i started i wasn't going to grind. And i have not. I am still not lvl 50!!!!! The day it becomes work, is the day it is not a game anymore. I am having fun. But i know when to stop. (i learned from SWG) I actually find it very casual friendly. Maybe you're being influenced by some hardcores and not realize it??

(1.2 patch is coming soon and that will be fun.) In the future i think were going to get some excited patches.

Screenshot_2012-04-01_04_07_31_295000.jpg

In fact i just rolled a new character!!!

F that! I told myself that when i started i wasn't going to grind. And i have not. I am still not lvl 50!!!!! The day it becomes work, is the day it is not a game anymore. I am having fun. But i know when to stop. (i learned from SWG) I actually find it very casual friendly. Maybe you're being influenced by some hardcores and not realize it??

(1.2 patch is coming soon and that will be fun.) In the future i think were going to get some excited patches.

Screenshot_2012-04-01_04_07_31_295000.jpg

In fact i just rolled a new character!!!

Yea, I got to level 50 within about 3 weeks....I kind of got obsessed....but now I just don't have the desire to do that anymore :lol:lol:lol:lol I was the same with LoTR:Online

Kids nowdays...call those theme park rail mmorpg "grinding".

Try playing 20 hrs straight fighting over a few 20 min spawns for exp :slap

Yet i still miss everquest more than any of those new games.

Yea, I got to level 50 within about 3 weeks....I kind of got obsessed....but now I just don't have the desire to do that anymore :lol:lol:lol:lol I was the same with LoTR:Online

I noticed that.

My advice? Sit back chill. Don't grind, play the game and just go exploring, kill some world bosses etc. etc. LIVE in the SW galaxy.

Kids nowdays...call those theme park rail mmorpg "grinding".

Try playing 20 hrs straight fighting over a few 20 min spawns for exp :slap

Yet i still miss everquest more than any of those new games.

for sure :)

A friend I made on swtor told me all about Galaxies. I never really cared for it..but wow.

It must have truly been incredible in it's early days...
He said one of his happiest moments was when it took him two hours to walk from one side of Tattooine to the other. Said that bounty hunters could get bounties on actual players, you could go on Rancor/Krayt Dragon hunts, crafters could set up shop in a major city and have their droids advertise for them, could raise all types of animals from babies as a creature handler, and even ride them, you could BUILD your own houses/cities..etc.

That game sounds like a real life in the SW universe.

That was the last great attempt to innovate before wow killed the mmorpg industry. In the beginning, you have a very healthy diverse mmorpg genre with ultima online (sandbox do it all - galaxies' predecessor), everquest (hardcore no remorse), and asheron's call ( solo focused unique system). Then comes the second generation which are just as diverse and healthy (despite the bugs) - anarchy online, shadowbane, sw galaxies etc..

then came wow...and innovation died...just dropped dead..forever.

The old republic is a **** disgrace, with an unlimited budget & resources, all those guys could come up with is another wow clone without an ounce of innovation or risk taking.

That was the last great attempt to innovate before wow killed the mmorpg industry. In the beginning, you have a very healthy diverse mmorpg genre with ultima online (sandbox do it all - galaxies' predecessor), everquest (hardcore no remorse), and asheron's call ( solo focused unique system). Then comes the second generation which are just as diverse and healthy (despite the bugs) - anarchy online, shadowbane, sw galaxies etc..

then came wow...and innovation died...just dropped dead..forever.

The old republic is a **** disgrace, with an unlimited budget & resources, all those guys could come up with is another wow clone without an ounce of innovation or risk taking.
A weak one at that, imo. It feels more like a KOTOR 3...with more players. Just a regular single player video game. But even then, everything outside of the missions/story lines seems so dull and boring.
And like, I want to feel that it's going to get better with patches..but I'm not sure it will. What is the next patch adding? companion pets, more color crystals, Sith Pureblood Jedi abominations, etc, etc..and already a few new BGs/raids/dungeons..? I don't want a ton of raids/dungeons..I wish they would focus on other things. That's what killed WoW for me. And unfortunately, from what I've read on the WoW forums..it seems like most players actually DON'T want that realistic, alternate life in a fantasy world..they DO want the mindless, elitist 24/7 raiding crap.

Idunno, I really wish the game would get better..but I don't think it will. And I have no desire to play it anymore.

I wish I had known about Galaxies back when it came out..can't believe I missed out on it.

Oscorp, is that the Cyan color? Cyan is like the OT blue lightsaber color, right? Really wanted one before I greatly lost interest in the game.
Hopefully they'll add a movie accurate green crystal with the next patch too....incase I start playing again. :lol

im still playing this game to get all the stories for all the classes. i finished getting my sith inquisitor to 50 and while i would like to get the awesome gear ill wait to do that after seeing the other class stories. but now what im doing is switching between the 4 characters i just made (sith warrior, jedi knight, jedi consular, and trooper) and thinking to myself that its part of a movie going back and forth between them. keeps me entertained knowing i could make a family tree with the legacy system coming out, already have ideas on how all of them could be related :yess:

I haven't been 'able' to get back into it in more than a month.

If I ever do I'll rush through the 3 stories I really want to do and I'll be done I think.

Has this run into wow issues already? Or is this still innovative? Wasn't able to get into the beta much, but still looks interesting.

It's only going to get better. And that's cause of the SW fan base. Where there's $ there will be big updates.

I blame Sony for SWG failure.

It's only going to get better. And that's cause of the SW fan base. Where there's $ there will be big updates.

I blame Sony for SWG failure.

the game structure is set, it cant get any better. Just more fetch quests and some bells...

yeah it was heart breaking watching soe trying to convert swg sandbox to a theme park wow-clone, in the process killed the game.

The only mmorpg left that's NOT a wow-clone is eve online. But that game requires much dedication to get into it, it's a living breath sandbox with a real world economy. It took me 3 years and 5 attempts to finally get into the game and fully understand & appreciate the complexity.

First massive space battle with insane, dont think i was ever this nervous in a video game since the everquest days trying to pull plane of fear without training the whole raid.

what a sad state of affairs with the mmorpg market nowdays :monkey2

the game structure is set, it cant get any better. Just more fetch quests and some bells...

Unless they try a total revamp in the future like SOE did. (they may have to SW fans like to LIVE in the SW universe, MMO fans are a different breed. And SW MMO fans are another breed entirely.) except the better way.

Not much to patch it up with some sandbox elements etc. I doubt it but ya never know.

LOL. i'll post some later. i need to find my screenshot's folder.

Considering how much epicfail the NGE, and CR were on SWG, i doubt we will see a total game change.
Which, unfortunately, is what the game needs.

I have, however, been considering playing this.

https://site.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

Is this some kind of joke? a bunch of freelancer developers will try to reverse engineer star war galaxies from memory using "Scientifc Methods" with no access to the code? I thought april fools is gone already for this year.

just wait for diablo3 & guildwar 2 man, they are not mmorpg per se but should be fun.

Q. How does SWGEmu develop the software without Sony Online Entertainment's code?

A. SWGEmu's software is written through a process known as Reverse Engineering. By applying the Scientific Method, SWGEmu's developers observe game-play, and then attempt to recreate it's experience through programming.

Yeah, it's a bit buggy, however, it does work. As far as diablo goes, already paid for my copy. it cost me buying a years subscription to world of warcraft.

Back