Norman Bates from PSYCHO!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These figures do need to be viewed in context... a small company releasing full custom figures for under $100 is unheard of. However, that does mean that there are going to be some limitations and I think that is what gives these figures a semi-dated look. If these had come out 10 years ago they would have been gobbled up, but in a HT run world not many appreciate the work that goes into figures like this.

Having said that I wonder if starting with a new basebody (on future figures) might help. I don't know what is currently being used, but it seems that if the body has strange proportions (like the Sideshow Buck, or Hasbro GI Joe) then the clothing also suffer the same issues.

It might drive up the cost, but the Headplay (no name bodies) are a great alternative the TrueType (being a very good copy) and as a base for the figures might lead to a better looking end product.

Good luck with the future releases, I'm interested to see what's coming next.

Thanks for the advice. I have just been looking at the bodies you mention and it would add too much onto the price of the figure. It is a real struggle to keep the prices as they are. I really am trying to find a happy medium. I think I did mention though in a different thread that I intend my figures to have that retro feel. Most of my customers are not figure collectors but horror movie fans and from feedback received they like the the retro feel as it takes them back to times gone by. Again thanks for the positive advice :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I have just been looking at the bodies you mention and it would add too much onto the price of the figure. It is a real struggle to keep the prices as they are. I really am trying to find a happy medium. I think I did mention though in a different thread that I intend my figures to have that retro feel. Most of my customers are not figure collectors but horror movie fans and from feedback received they like the the retro feel as it takes them back to times gone by. Again thanks for the positive advice :)

I see... if you are going for the "retro" feel I think you've done a great job then. Again, its all about perspective... generally in 1/6 many are seeking as realistic as possible; but if the intent is more stylized we can get a bit confused :lol

Keep up the great work :duff

To be fair, I like to take a middle-ground when it comes to realistic. If the figure is sturdy, like a DD figure, then I am happy - and the body is just a generic Dragon(ish) body with the same proportions (but a tad slimmer which is good as Cushing and co. should not be too buff). When things are as realistic as possible they are often more flimsy and weak, as the Sideshow Lewis Gunner shows. My favourite figures are (along with others):

n7[1].jpg

orang.jpg

Not a realistic body by any means, and the swords aren't either, but they are really sturdy and almost unbreakable. If something is really realistic, but shatters when knocked over or when trying to put it together (like the Lewis Gunner) it is almost useless.

Didn’t mean to step on anyones toes when I posted my like for the DD Christopher Lee figure. I mainly collect horror figures,

152544309JXypiJ_fs by madeboxer, on Flickr
even dolls from Fashion Royalty Dracula series

VAMPS 007 by madeboxer, on Flickr
so I gravitate toward very good headsulpts and the need for well done universal monsters. I even have the bad rendition of the original sideshow Universal monsters that were not as good as these shown.

All I ask is if I am going to spend upwards of $100 for a figure, I at least want the headsculpt dead on and halfway decent clothing (not the felt like stuff that don’t lay well) like the Dark Shadows clothing.

VAMPS 033 by madeboxer, on Flickr
My only problem is the sculpting which is why I came up with $40 as what I would pay. This is more than what I paid for the Sideshow monsters but at the time were the only game in town for 6 scale horror figures. Now, there are so many people doing really good jobs at the headsculpts that I am a little more discriminating about what I would or would not buy. If these sculpts were just a little better, I would have no problem with the price or with the clothing and would buy them all. I am just giving my opinion as an avid collector of 6 scale horror

newpics 039 by madeboxer, on Flickr

Those Majestic Quentin and Barnabas figures were going for oodles of cash last time I checked. Those came out when figures of that type could still be had around $45-$60. They are just as good as any of the 12 inch figs SSC did...maybe a little better. Plus---they brought us Dr. Phibes.

I fear if petroleum prices continue to rise, we are going to get less and less for more and more.......:monkey2

because the HT classic looks like from a manga and not from the movie. ;)
Bakurenoh@
You ever watched the movie. The HT classic have not much in common with the movie.

mked456t.jpg

HT CLASSIC;

Inacuratte from top to Bottom, no charisma/Aura of the original.
Proportions of a 8 year old boy overall.
Overpriced (Neca´s Pred is 1/4 and cost 80$)
Terrible face-sculpts with almost none resemblance.
The Netting is way too thick (but its better positioned than Necas)
Mask looks gay (childish look), armour too (childish look and way too clean :-\)
Many users have problem with the Head, feels off

Even HT strength (the Paint) looks way less impressive than on my last masked 18", like real flesh.
I have four masked and all are fine, sell three to poland (friends)

dscf1483x.jpg

yle7q253.jpg

HT can point in one discipline, netting, but thats all.

Sure its better than the old, but far far away from the movie;

16141136P3.jpg

as i said where is the charisma/aura of the 87 Predator ? Doesnt look like p1, doesnt look like classic, its a mix ? ???

See this is pure OCD ridiculousness. What the hell are you talking about?

See this is pure OCD ridiculousness. What the hell are you talking about?

?? I think he maybe asking is P1 Pred and Classic the same Pred or not. If so, then the answer is no. There are two completely different Predators, meaning they are not 1 and the same. The Classic Predator from the movie PREDATORS is not the same one that came out in the 1987 movie Predator.

?? I think he maybe asking is P1 Pred and Classic the same Pred or not. If so, then the answer is no. There are two completely different Predators, meaning they are not 1 and the same. The Classic Predator from the movie PREDATORS is not the same one that came out in the 1987 movie Predator.

And sorry, but could I just ask what Predator has to do with Norman Bates?

indeed it is kinda "soft" in the details

I guess the point in our critisizm is that we are not trying to be negative, we are only trying to give voice to the average collector. in this day and time there are so many sculpters doing some fantastic jobs with their headsculpts and there are so many choices to pick from, For this figure to compete even if made independantly, would need to at least get the sculpt looking just a little better.

I, for one was around to see this movie when it was released for the first time so I really would like to have a Norman Bates 12er in my collection, Heck, I would collect ANYTHING Hammeresk if offered. Now, however, with limited funds I have be be discriminating in my choices. My preference now is a good headsculpt. If I have that, I'm good and would buy in a ny minute.

The creaters should not take this personally but as a stepping stone to improve the quality of their figures. Don't do the face from a particular scene from the movie but make the headsculpt good enough that we can use any our own favorite scenes. Clothing aside, if the headsculpt can be improved, you have me as an avid customer

If they improve them too much---they will improve themselves right out of the market. Because improvements bring higher prices. Besides---the figures he is producing are so niche market, I cannot help but wonder if he's really seen any profit from these ventures yet. Add to that this point as well: he's not even trying to compete with Hot Toys or whomever. He is trying to make retro style figures, and it's obviously clicking with horror collectors. I dunno that they will ever really change the way they do things. Some of his figures have sold out.

I want this figure, and have cheered for one for years on the forum. I do have one secured, but I havent been comfortable enough to pay for it yet. Gas is $4 a gallon here, groceries are sky high, and both my kids needed glasses and frames this year.

I cut up all my credit save one for emergencies. My days of just buying things and paying for it later are done. I dunno if I am the exception or the rule. But if this figure would've been $150 (even if was Hot Toys quality)---I wouldn't be able to buy it unless my ebay sales(which is how I make my hobby pay for itself) picked up. It's seriously dead on evil bay except for when the obsessive compulsives get in bidding wars with each other over an item,lol.

People seem terrified to let go of their $$ these days. Unless you are young, unattached, and professional or perhaps fairly wealthy (or living from your credit cards to appear to be:formerly me and quite a few others)----paying $150-200 for glorified Barbies is kinda on the back burner right now. I think he's doing fine....:monkey3. But who knows? Maybe if he secured a license, went Hot Toys quality, and the price went up to $200-- he might reach people with more money. People who would snag them up, that arent buying these retro versions. I think thats why folks are so polarized on these. For some folks its about spending as little as possible. For others, money is no object to them for a better looking dolly.

Last edited:
If they improve them too much---they will improve themselves right out of the market. Because improvements bring higher prices. Besides---the figures he is producing are so niche market, I cannot help but wonder if he's really seen any profit from these ventures yet. Add to that this point as well: he's not even trying to compete with Hot Toys or whomever. He is trying to make retro style figures, and it's obviously clicking with horror collectors. I dunno that they will ever really change the way they do things. Some of his figures have sold out.

I want this figure, and have cheered for one for years on the forum. I do have one secured, but I havent been comfortable enough to pay for it yet. Gas is $4 a gallon here, groceries are sky high, and both my kids needed glasses and frames this year.

I cut up all my credit save one for emergencies. My days of just buying things and paying for it later are done. I dunno if I am the exception or the rule. But if this figure would've been $150 (even if was Hot Toys quality)---I wouldn't be able to buy it unless my ebay sales(which is how I make my hobby pay for itself) picked up. It's seriously dead on evil bay except for when the obsessive compulsives get in bidding wars with each other over an item,lol.

People seem terrified to let go of their $$ these days. Unless you are young, unattached, and professional or perhaps fairly wealthy (or living from your credit cards to appear to be:formerly me and quite a few others)----paying $150-200 for glorified Barbies is kinda on the back burner right now. I think he's doing fine....:monkey3. But who knows? Maybe if he secured a license, went Hot Toys quality, and the price went up to $200-- he might reach people with more money. People who would snag them up, that arent buying these retro versions. I think thats why folks are so polarized on these. For some folks its about spending as little as possible. For others, money is no object to them for a better looking dolly.

Wrong thread? :dunno :lol

Naw---just trying to speculate why people are in "camps" over some goofy figures. I dont mind the retro approach, and I don't wanna pay $300 for a figure. I didnt care a few years ago, but I sure do now. So I must be in the "like it" camp. Yeah, I know...:lecture:lecture

It's easy. If it looks good, and I have the funds, I buy it. I don't care if it's a $400 statue, a $200 HT figure, a $150 Sideshow figure, a $50 independent or a $10 figure at TRU. :lol

My $400 statue buying days are few and far between. Flex pay is starting to look more and more appealing these days, :lol.

I hear that. :lol I passed on Freddy because I couldn't fathom how a statue that's shorter than Jason, uses considerably less material (both fabric and polystone), and comes with less accessories, is somehow $70 more.

I received both versions of Norman yesterday.

The skintone on both figures came out great, and I especially like the paintjob on the B&W figure. The color one isn't as pale in person as it is in the website pictures. The quality of the clothing is fantastic and feels very nice. The laced shoes are especially a fine touch. The creepy stare on the B&W variant is perfect, however the eyes on my color version came out slightly wonky, and the eyebrows don't look as good as the BW version (I've spoken with the maker, and he says that is an easy fix.) Other wise, the paintjob is very clean.

The sculpt is very good, and when looking from the right angle, is definitely Perkins.

Articulation is very good and smooth, unlike the old Sideshow Buck, and the joints are firm.

You can tell alot of hard work went into these figures, and it shows. They look great with my Sideshow horror collection. I applaud Distinctive Dummies for filling a void Sideshow left open a long time ago. It's great finally getting new figures of characters I love, instead of rebuying the same monsters in different scales.

NOTE: I am no expert photographer. Please excuse the blurry close ups!

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

The Evolution of Horror:

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Descendants of Ed Gein:

IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg

Back